I know theres probably been tonnes of questions about sweep picking, but i don't need to know how to do it or how to do it fast or anything, I realize it takes time and using a metronome is what helps.

I want to know how long it took for anyone else to develop decent speed with their sweeps. I have just started and for now I am going at a decent speed but still slow. I'm fine with that, because speed isn't everything.

So just tell me roughly how long it took you guys to develop some speed?
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
How many strings sweeping you talking about here?
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
I have done everything from 3 string sweeps to all 6, just not fast just specify how many strings and how fast
Quote by andy_thomas
ye I can do 3 string sweeps at 16th notes around 160 BPM.

I can do the same for 4 strings but not as clean.

I started to learn sweeping a month ago.

Everyone has their own pace at doing things, don't stress. Practice makes perfect so just keep on doing it. I can't even attempt 6 string sweeping yet so you are most probably ahead of me. =)
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Quote by Eternal_One
ye I can do 3 string sweeps at 16th notes around 160/180 BPM.

I can do the same for 4 strings but not as clean.

I started to learn sweeping a month ago.

Everyone has their own pace at doing things, don't stress. Practice makes perfect so just keep on doing it. I can't even attempt 6 string sweeping yet so you are most probably ahead of me. =)

No I have been doing them for only a week my six string sweeps are really slowly, and you are definately faster so you're definately ahead of me.
I am not stressed, at first I was because i was trying to do them way to fast then i slowed it all down and found my happy place.
Quote by andy_thomas
Yes. I also started slow. Coordination between left and right hand is vital.

http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/sweep-picking/

Check that out. It has some very small/short vid clips of how both your hands should be when sweeping.

Good-Luck. Within a year of constant practice you will be composing your own sweep solo licks for songs =)
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Thank you very much for the link I will check it out
Quote by andy_thomas
Not sure, I still don't have sweep picking down, I have this very annoying thing where I can sweep like 3 times faster going from the high to low trings than I can going from low to high. I probably started sweeping about 6 months ago. I'm pretty close togetting it down both ways. I'm a relatively slow learner.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
Not sure, I still don't have sweep picking down, I have this very annoying thing where I can sweep like 3 times faster going from the high to low trings than I can going from low to high. I probably started sweeping about 6 months ago. I'm pretty close togetting it down both ways. I'm a relatively slow learner.

Same here! I can go really fast from high to low, but from low to high, it gets slower and more sloppy!
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
I have heard about that being a common problem.
Quote by andy_thomas
Quote by Joey Radical
Same here! I can go really fast from high to low, but from low to high, it gets slower and more sloppy!

Maybe it's a common problem because of the strings being thicker? Idk, I can't even sweep lol!

To TC:

I actually tried sweeping about two months ago (I think I had been playing for about 4-5 months then lol) and decided it was beyond me. Tonight maybe I'll try again lol, I'm getting closer to 8 months, I'll probably still suck tho lol. I got really stressed out because I was trying to increase my speed WWAAYY too soon. This time I'll get a metronome out and slow myself down.

Every time I see this asked, the general answers are usually if you practice really hard and are a fast learner a few months, but if you don't practice much or are a slow learner it can take up to a year. Plus, if you don't practice with a metronome you can kiss being clean goodbye, but that's in everything, not just sweeping lol.
Quote by Joey Radical

When your practicing it should never be sloppy. It should always be perfect because if it isn't, your going too fast. Keep both the down and up strokes at the same speed. If you can't do that then you have no control over your fingers and you should pretty much restart learning sweep picking.

But to the OP it took me about a month to get 3 string sweeps down at 16ths at 130 bpm. I practiced every day with a metronome for 1/2 an hour.
I am still practicing them, but i think i have been sweeping for about a month. i actually lost track of when i started. But lets say a month,give or take a week, and i can do some 5 string sweeps doing 16th note triplets at 104bpm. i would say thats the max i can go, cause it starts to get sloppy when i increase the speed from there. At 100bpm it sounds a bit better.For 3 string sweeps, its faster than that, but those are easier. I am currently learning the Altitudes Arpeggios section.
to the TS, dont start with six string sweeps lol. start with three, then four, then five, then six
2 years since started to practiced sweep picking and i can play some 3 and 4 strings sweep pattern at decent speed.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS