How is everyone doing. This is my first thread here and hope I'm not already breaking a rule. If this seems like the thread I should be posting in for this type of question, if not direct me in the right direction please

I'm looking to buy a jumbo acoustic guitar in the range from 500-600 and at the most up to 700. I also would like it to have some electronics so I can play some live venues once I get up to snuff I have a cheapo dreadnought right now but I'm looking to play me some Flogging Molly and Dave King only uses jumbo acoustics when he plays. Thanks for your help in advance.
Last edited by fredjr at Apr 24, 2008,
Seagull has a jumbo in around that price range. Great guitars, really.
Guild GAD JF48 is $780. Great guitar. I think Washburn makes a Jumbo around $650 also, never played on one however.
Quote by Siren Silently
Guild GAD JF48 is $780. Great guitar. I think Washburn makes a Jumbo around $650 also, never played on one however.

The guild would be nice but it does not have any equipment on it. I really need that in order to play live or just high enough to be heard while my friend is playing his banjo beside me.
Quote by pharm30
masterbilt AJ500?

Specifically, the AJ-500R I think. I've heard good things about that one, though I've never played one. Link: Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
It appears there's an optional electronic system for them as well.
Shame about the Guild, those are sweet guitars.
Gretsch has a jumbo model in that price range. Look up the Rancher series and check out the jumbos. If they sound anywhere near as good as my Historic Series jumbo cutaway (discontinued or I'd recommend you it), they're fantastic.
Takamine EG523SC (there's also a 12-string version). Actually they sell several jumbos in that range.
Good luck!
Quote by Nightfyre
Specifically, the AJ-500R I think. I've heard good things about that one, though I've never played one. Link: Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
It appears there's an optional electronic system for them as well.
Shame about the Guild, those are sweet guitars.
Gretsch has a jumbo model in that price range. Look up the Rancher series and check out the jumbos. If they sound anywhere near as good as my Historic Series jumbo cutaway (discontinued or I'd recommend you it), they're fantastic.
Takamine EG523SC (there's also a 12-string version). Actually they sell several jumbos in that range.
Good luck!

I was reading up on pickups and maybe could go that route if my acoustic didn't have a system on it. What do you guys think of a pickup vs built on system?
It's personal preference which way you want to amplify really. There's good and bad on both sides of that coin.
As far as guitar recommendations goes, have a look at this one. The price is right in your area, they are quality built, good name, not overly done, and sound great. Here it is then, the Alvarez AJ60SC. Solid Englemann Spruce top, maple back and sides, rosewood fingerboard and bridge. Big and loud is what you want to play along side a banjo, and this will get the job done. I've been wanting the 12 string version of this guitar for quite some time now. Alas, they don't make it in a lefty model. Maybe someday.

Last edited by LeftyDave at Apr 23, 2008,
Quote by LeftyDave
It's personal preference which way you want to amplify really. There's good and bad on both sides of that coin.
As far as guitar recommendations goes, have a look at this one. The price is right in your area, they are quality built, good name, not overly done, and sound great. Here it is then, the Alvarez AJ60SC. Solid Englemann Spruce top, maple back and sides, rosewood fingerboard and bridge. Big and loud is what you want to play along side a banjo, and this will get the job done. I've been wanting the 12 string version of this guitar for quite some time now. Alas, they don't make it in a lefty model. Maybe someday.

I was actually looking into that one but no store near me has one in stock. Samash has it but only online and I really would like to play it before I bought it. I guess I can just always return it if I'm not satisfied.

PS: Are the frets bigger on a jumbo than a dreadnought and also what are swirls on a guitar?
Last edited by fredjr at Apr 24, 2008,
I've picked around at a right hand version of this guitar, and the frets are the same size as on my Alvarez 6 stringer dreadnaught shape. I've no idea what you mean by "swirls". Care to elaborate?
Quote by LeftyDave
I've picked around at a right hand version of this guitar, and the frets are the same size as on my Alvarez 6 stringer dreadnaught shape. I've no idea what you mean by "swirls". Care to elaborate?

There is one that I am looking at online and in the description the seller says it has "light swirls". I am guessing this is a cosmetic issue.
I highly recommend that Alvarez pictured above and also this Takamine:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-EG523SC-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=516302

Both have pretty similar features. I've played both and both are fantastic guitars. They do have their differences in feel and tone. I would definitely reccomend checking them both out before buying. If I had to pick between the two, I would take the Takamine, but that is just my personal preference. It would really be best to try and find both so you can try for yourself.

As for the light swirls, are you looking at a used guitar or something?
Quote by captivate
Seagull has a jumbo in around that price range. Great guitars, really.

Seagull's are a huge hit or miss. I can't stand them but my friend can't live without them. Everything about Seagull is just gross to me.
Quote by jimtaka

The EG523 is probably one of the best guitars I have ever met. It has a perfect bass tone and a lot of power. The sound is pretty unique, it was a sweet spot for me, it's something you need to check out for yourself.
Quote by wahappen

This is a guitar community not Romper Room.
Quote by marchoso
Seagull's are a huge hit or miss. I can't stand them but my friend can't live without them. Everything about Seagull is just gross to me.

The EG523 is probably one of the best guitars I have ever met. It has a perfect bass tone and a lot of power. The sound is pretty unique, it was a sweet spot for me, it's something you need to check out for yourself.

A friend of mine has an EG523 and I played it some today. They really are quite nice, though I'm not as passionate as marchoso about them. Definitely worth trying one out though.
Quote by jimtaka
I highly recommend that Alvarez pictured above and also this Takamine:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-EG523SC-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=516302

Both have pretty similar features. I've played both and both are fantastic guitars. They do have their differences in feel and tone. I would definitely reccomend checking them both out before buying. If I had to pick between the two, I would take the Takamine, but that is just my personal preference. It would really be best to try and find both so you can try for yourself.

As for the light swirls, are you looking at a used guitar or something?

Yeah the guitar is used.
It'd be my guess that the light swirls are cosmetic only. Probably due to simply wiping it down as opposed to actually polishing the finish. High gloss finishes, especially expensive ones, take extra special care to maintain their shine.
What are your thoughts on buying a guitar online. I doubt I will be able to find the Alvarez in a store and I'm going to check a guitar center to see if they have the Takamine in stock.
It's always going to be a risky deal to buy something like a guitar online. You can't play it first and have no idea how it's been treated up to the time it arrives at your door. Maybe it sat in some old dusty warehouse for a year, going through hot/cold cycles(not all storage warehouses are climate controlled). Then again, maybe it's brand new, just off the truck, and shipped to you. You just never know. If at all possible, go with the ones you can actually get your hands around and play first. At least you'll know that way. Too bad you didn't live near me, that exact model Alvarez is hanging in my local store right this minute. And there's a pile of Taylors just down the street.
Quote by fredjr
What are your thoughts on buying a guitar online. I doubt I will be able to find the Alvarez in a store and I'm going to check a guitar center to see if they have the Takamine in stock.

I would never buy any guitar online. I just bought my Martin D-16RGT today. there were actually two of the same model. one of them had a noticeably less bass than the other and had more of a mid-range growl than the other. i bought the other guitar, however, because it had the bass i love and a more balanced sound to it in general. i dont think i would have been as happy with the other guitar as i am with this one.