So currently.. I'm trying to decide what half-stack to get when I get the cash..
Alot of them have really nice crunchy distortion, great for rhythm.. but what's a good half-stack for leads?
I want a tone something like one of these:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=by8oyJztzwo - JerryC
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8&feature=related - Funtwo

I like them both a whole lot but both of those players recorded the song direct so I wanna' get a tone like that on an amp, sure you could get the gear they use and hook up to a P.A. but it won't have the same bassy crunch that makes the walls shake as a half-stack or certain other amps.

so yeah.. what amp can I get to sound like one of these but still have a nice bassy sound to them.. like I was saying - most 4 x 12's do.. if not all.
I'd prefer it to be a tube amp and would like to keep the price range around 2 grand and under for the head, 1,000- for the cabinet.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Apr 21, 2008,
Something like an ENGL Thunder w/ Reverb would be nice. You didn't mention any sort of price range though, and you DON'T need a half stack.
Get a Fender hot rod deluxe and a Pod X3, JerryC used the PodXT and the X3 is even better....
I never said I needed one, I said I wanted one..

and Osiris
yeah I know Jerry used the XT.. I believe his amp model was a mesa/boogie dual rectifier.. I was wondering if that amp could get his sound.
I'm trying to avoid multi-effects pedals and go for more of an amp sound with maybe some reverb or delay here and there and whatever other toys I use with it..

oh and the price range doesn't really matter.. but I guess I'll put it.
Quote by TechnicolorType

and Osiris
yeah I know Jerry used the XT.. I believe his amp model was a mesa/boogie dual rectifier.. I was wondering if that amp could get his sound.
I'm trying to avoid multi-effects pedals and go for more of an amp sound with maybe some reverb or delay here and there and whatever other toys I use with it..

I don't think the recto has enough mids. You definitely want something with a lot of saturation, JSX perhaps?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
The Pod X3 is a great improvement but if you insist on getting a tube, Get a Mesa Mark IV and a good Delay pedal. That should pretty much nail his tone and many others aswell.
With that kind of cash, your options are pretty unlimited.

Check out Splawn, Mesa, Bogner, Orange (Rockerverb/Thunderverb), ENGL, Carvin. All of those companies make amazing amps, but Splawn is my personal favorite at the moment.

As for the cab, Ear Candy, Mesa, Framus, and Vader are great.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
I hate funtwo.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
No one cares?

and for those giving the advice on amps, thanks =] but could you specify whose tone you mean since the 2 links = 2 different tones.
^
I was thinking the same thing. The tones just sound cheap, although for some people it works, and if you like it, go for it!
Yeah, I know they sound kind of cheesy, at least Funtwos especially but JerryCs is more of something like Malmsteens, Vais, or Satriani.
You actually want to play Canon? WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO????

Seriously though, just a high gain amp with reverb.
Not exactly even though I can play it.
Why does everyone hate on that song so bad?
I just like the tone.. which is found in both of the players other songs.
heh, yeah.
I plan to get a super shifter by boss.. perhaps 2 cabinets so the dry signal will go through one while the harmonized notes through the other.

bringing up after forever..

but yeahh, anyone else?
what about this Mark IV, I heard it was really versatile.. you think I could really get a sound like that out of his?
Quote by TechnicolorType

and Osiris

needs =/= wants

needs always come first. you dont NEED a half stack there for you shouldnt WANT a half stack. you're definitely going to need a tube amp of some sort, i would go for a good combo and spend the extra money other things that will help enhance your tone like pedals and modifications to your guitar, you dont need a $3000 half-stack to get great tone.

i'm not suggesting any amps but your going to need something with a lot of gain and mids, you also would need a good amount of sustain, clarity, and a little bottom end for those single notes so they dont sound like tin when you play your higher strings.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Last edited by ugmung at Apr 27, 2008,
what's that supposed to mean, because you don't need something you won't want it?
that is like not true at all..
Everything you buy is pretty much wants except for things like food and water, because those are needs.

it's the same thing, everyone is going to want more in guitar, I can "want" if I want.

and yah, looking into engls and mesas o.0
Quote by TechnicolorType
what's that supposed to mean, because you don't need something you won't want it?
that is like not true at all..
Everything you buy is pretty much wants except for things like food and water, because those are needs.

it's the same thing, everyone is going to want more in guitar, I can "want" if I want.

and yah, looking into engls and mesas o.0

i didnt mean need as in life or death kind of need. i meant you can get the same great tone from a combo for a lot less money you dont need it. do you see where im coming from? i didnt mean like you cant have something you want, im just saying needs, as in more important things, come first.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
dude buy a freaking bogner ubeschall and then a vader cab, freaking jesus its the perfect pair.....
Quote by convictionless
dude buy a freaking bogner ubeschall and then a vader cab, freaking jesus its the perfect pair.....

i dont think hes going to get the sound he wants with that set, ****, thats what i want for my death metal tone.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
i didnt mean need as in life or death kind of need. i meant you can get the same great tone from a combo for a lot less money you dont need it. do you see where im coming from? i didnt mean like you cant have something you want, im just saying needs, as in more important things, come first.

yeah, I know you can usually get the same tones out of a combo, I just haven't ever played on alot of combos that have the same bassy low end crunch that half-stacks always do which is why I wanted one.
:O

wish I could find like a demo of someone playing with his tone using an amp.
Quote by TechnicolorType
yeah, I know you can usually get the same tones out of a combo, I just haven't ever played on alot of combos that have the same bassy low end crunch that half-stacks always do which is why I wanted one.
:O

wish I could find like a demo of someone playing with his tone using an amp.

do you play with a band or gig?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by TechnicolorType
Yes.

oh, i thought you were a bedroom player.
lol, my mistake.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo