I was looking up elvis presley on wikipedia the other day and saw that he had recorded thousands (literally) of songs throughout his career. Then i thought who (which artist or band) holds the record for the most number of songs ever recorded. I find it amusing moreover that elvis presley can record that many, in, (lets face it) a 20 year career, but a classic supergroup like Cream only recorded 36 songs in three years (inclusive of beer commercials and stuff like that).

Also it got me thinking. What band or artist holds the record of playing the same song live the most number of times? For example Led Zepplin played stairway to heaven 100 times. (i know that wouldn't be it)
Anyways, any thoughts?
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Do session guitarists count? cos they would easily beat artists recording only their own songs.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Quote by CorvetteRick
But, Cream wrote most of their own songs. Elvis wrote very few songs. I don't even know what songs he did himself (If any), so never put Cream and Elvis in the same post.

It was for comparison purposes only
Quote by 123-Trav
Do session guitarists count? cos they would easily beat artists recording only their own songs.

in keeping in the spirit of the thread, i think its best if there not, but yeah i think they would easily best real artists
As for the second question who reckons the rolling stones - satisfaction. Merely because they've been around so long.
Would john lennon be up there as well
I would guess that not a concert has gone by since Rush released Tom Sawyer where they have not played the song. Could be wrong, but it seems like it would be true. And they play a lot of concerts
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
Wow, Elvis recorded a lot more songs then I had thought. I'd assume Zappa would be near the top of the recorded songs list as well.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by BOC15
I would honestly assume that Bob Dylan would have the most WRITTEN songs atleast over any one

I can't think of anyone with more albums out either.

It wouldn't be Lennon or Elvis- they died too young to match the guys that are still putting stuff out.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Wow, wasn't going to count all of those on Wikipedia but typed in 'how many songs did Elvis Presley record?' into Google and it's apparently in the region of about 700!
Have to say I'm quite surprised by that.

I've actually done a little looking into this in the past when I thought the answer would most likely be Merzbow due to the ridiculous amount of releases he has managed to put out. I was proven wrong. Lots of releases by Merzbow (around 200) but not necessarily many songs on each. Then I thought maybe Frank Zappa or possibly even Jandek. Zappa had something like 55 albums - don't know the song count - and Jandek has roughly the same, so fewer albums but prossibly on a par with Merzbow on song count. However, all pale into insignificance when you discover R. Stevie Moore. Rather obscure DIY musician who started in the 60s at the age of 7 or 8 doing a few odds and ends as a session musician to help out his dad. Anyway, he's still putting stuff out. Granted not all of it is getting released in the same way that Elvis or Zappa's material has been, a lot of it has been limited self-released stuff (but he'll make you copies of anything still, apparently) but he has reached over 400 releases!!
Tangerine Dream have put out somewhere in the region of 100 albums as well. Again, don't know the song count.

Bob Dylan lands quite far from the tree. Well, a large output but nowhere near in the scheme of things. Quite a lot of people have a bigger output, James Last and The Fall would each probably beat him.

I've yet to find anyone that has topped that. Wouldn't be surprised if Acid Mothers Temple (and all the incarnations) one day beat it.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I'd think maybe Les Paul or Pete Seeger would have recorded quite a load given that they are 92 and 88 respectively.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by metalfan#3
The Grateful Dead have performed Me and My Uncle (Mamas & the Papas cover) 613 times.
That's nothing. The Black Crowes have played Jealous Again 837 times and counting in their 18 year existence compared to the Dead's 30 years of playing Me and My Uncle

Quote by Andrewbiles
Granted not all of it is getting released in the same way that Elvis or Zappa's material has been, a lot of it has been limited self-released stuff (but he'll make you copies of anything still, apparently) but he has reached over 400 releases!!
That's a hell of a lot of releases

Rick Wakeman also has an absurd amount of released solo albums- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Wakeman#Discography
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
That's a hell of a lot of releases

I should think a lot were singles, but apparently his Uncle used to ask him to record some stuff and one week he would send him a tape full of songs and then a week later send him a double cassette. Don't know how he managed it.

I've made a little blog entry about people who have recorded a lot or stuff if anyone's interested.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by BrainDamage
That's nothing. The Black Crowes have played Jealous Again 837 times and counting in their 18 year existence compared to the Dead's 30 years of playing Me and My Uncle

You and your damn Black Crowes .

Actually, considering the Dead's played over 2500 shows, 600 plays doesn't seem like an awful lot.
Quote by metalfan#3
You and your damn Black Crowes .
If you knew what was good for you, you'd listen to them

Quote by metalfan#3
Actually, considering the Dead's played over 2500 shows, 600 plays doesn't seem like an awful lot.
I've got one of the volumes of Deadbase (that gigantic book with every song the Grateful Dead have ever played and all kinds of other completely useless information) laying around, I'll have to go check and see what their number one most played song is.
Quote by Thefallofman