i am in the market for one. i would like one with at least 2 "1/4" inch inputs and one xlr input.
i'd like it to stay between $100 and $200.
bundled with software is not important but is okay to have. i already have plenty of that. but there is no such thing as too many programs.

what's the best? what should i stay clear from?

thanks!
Quote by ElBarto2811
you can really egsagorate (how the hell do you write that word??) the motion.

guitars:
LTD EX-400BD
Ibanez RG220B w/Dimarzio Tone Zone & Air Norton
Fender Deluxe PowerHouse Strat

Amp:
Marshall MF350 half stack
i hear the line 6 toneport is really good
but i don't have one, just planning on doing so
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
for the price the line 6 toneport is a good interface,good for a newb like me anyhows.I think its ideal for starting out recording
2 "1/4" inch inputs and one xlr input.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MobilePre/

M Audio Mobile Pre: $150

The Line6 UX2 may work as well...if you want to use their amp packages. It's $140, and you can add additional amp packages to it.

And why not Firewire? The Presonus Inspire 1394 is within your price range, and the Firewire will mean that each track is separate so you can really mix and manipulate.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by misterspiffy
i am in the market for one. i would like one with at least 2 "1/4" inch inputs and one xlr input.
i'd like it to stay between $100 and $200.
bundled with software is not important but is okay to have. i already have plenty of that. but there is no such thing as too many programs.

what's the best? what should i stay clear from?

thanks!

Unless you are using a notebook PC, you can get a Presonus Inspire 1384 new for $150 and good Firewire card will cost at most $20. The TI chipset is the best but the VIA chipset Firewire cards work fine with the Presonus. Works better than USB

Tony
For $180 you can get a nice firewire interface, the Mackie Onyx Satellite. If your computer doesn't have a firewire port you can easily add one for a desktop or even a laptop. These mackies have better sounding preamps than the Toneports IMO so if you can, I would go with one of those.
I've never used anything better than the toneport but from firsthand experience, it's good for the money, but if you're using it to mic cabs to record it's quite bad.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
get an old skool M box, you gewt what you want plus a real version of pro tools, none of that m powered crap
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Asking "which is the best USB interface?" is like saying "which is the best poo?". They're all sort of the same. They all smell really bad, and they really aren't good for you.

And for that money, im sure you could buy a used Firewire interface on eBay or something. (But i could be wrong - seeing as i don't know the US s/h market)
Last edited by Rum Monkey at Apr 23, 2008,
^ again this is m audio. the old mbox is digidesign with focusrite mic pres which are very very dec for the price
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by !!Dope Man!!
what's the difference between firewire and usb?

The plug and interface. Firewire has a larger average bandwidth, allowing it to receive multiple tracks at once, while USB 2.0 gets one stereo/two mono.

USB:

Firewire:
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

It doesn't. By then, you're just interested in the features of the interface (controlling levels through the computer, as an example). However, the TS mentioned many different inputs at once, so in that case, firewire could help.
Quote by keiron_d

with firewire you can record each input on a separate track at one time.
With USB it cant move that much info in one take and so it normally will mix all the inputs to a single stereo track limiting you in the editing stage later down the line.

I highly suggest going with firewire if you plan on recording more than two inputs at one time be it a stereo phono input or two mic inputs. The Satellite, (once again) is just $180 and great for the price.
Quote by !!Dope Man!!
one more question- what about firewire on a laptop? are there pci cards that are good for laptops?

What's the laptop? Otherwise, we might recommend something that isn't compatible.

And PCI's a desktop interface that's meant for internal cards.
Quote by keiron_d

Most new laptops have a 4 pin firewire port on them but ive seen some like the macs where they have a full sized 6 pin firewire connection.

New laptops are also using express-card slots, which is replacing the older PCMCIA.
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2767

It does have USB 2.0 which is nice and fast and so if you go with USB your are only limited to two mono input recording at one time. I don't see any firewire ports on that laptop so you will need a card to add them which isn't too expensive.

I don't know the difference between Type II PC card slot and the ExpressCard 54 slot but if you go with the Express 54 you can get this product...which is higher in price, (but once again I dont know if it's worth the extra cash)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124014
Both ExpressCard and Type II have a convenient form factor: just slide it on the (usually right) side of your laptop (though you may have to remove a plastic covering that usually covers it). Chances are, you'll have both slots, one on top of the other (look here).

I think it's on the right of the vertical USB (rectangular) slot:

Moody's $13 Card is sufficient...since Firewire 1394a (or 1394b or USB 2.0) has a fixed rate of transfer and there's no benefit using a faster interface to do the same thing, and most any audio interface uses 1394a.
Quote by keiron_d

Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Apr 24, 2008,
Dope, you probably will do fine with just a USB interface, since you'll be using at most two microphones at a time (two for acoustic, no singing, or acoustic+singing).
Quote by keiron_d

yea any USB interface but try a condenser mic set, the MXL 990/991 is a nice set for the price of $100. Just make sure the interface has 48V phantom power.

To most of the posts below:
I would suggest staying away from the Toneports, sure they work but the UX2 is the same price as the better quality Mackie Onyx Satellite and gearbox isn't the best sounding program out there IMO.

When using the UX1 I found they didn't like the MXL condenser mics (990 and 991 are what I tested) I found the volume lowered quite a bit when running them though this interface forcing me to raise the preamp level which would put more noise into the track. I went to the line6 boards and found others have this problem as well so it's something about the hardware.

I highly suggest the Satellite interface with that $13 card for your laptop over the toneports.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 28, 2008,
USB will be just fine for what you want to do, in fact I do the same type of recording myself through a USB. My setup is the Line6 UX2 and a pair of MXL 909 mics, both of which I would reccomend. Use the Ux2 rather than its younger brother because it can take multiple simultaneous inputs and provides the 48v phantom power you will need to use condenser microhphones like the ones suggested here.

The gearbox software that comes with the Line6 stuff isn't perfect but it's pretty darn powerful, I'm quite happy with it.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
I like my Digitech RP250, it's got pretty good tones and it's extremely versitile. you can edit and download tones too, and record using USB. My myspace used it to record both songs. It can sound a little digital at times, however. You just gotta find the sweet spot for the tone you like. Their website has a ton of samples as well. So does Youtube

If you've got an awesome sounding amp, just plug the speaker output into the pedal's input, turn off all the pedal's effects and distortions and stuff, and record
Quote by moody07747
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2767

It does have USB 2.0 which is nice and fast and so if you go with USB your are only limited to two mono input recording at one time. I don't see any firewire ports on that laptop so you will need a card to add them which isn't too expensive.

I don't know the difference between Type II PC card slot and the ExpressCard 54 slot but if you go with the Express 54 you can get this product...which is higher in price, (but once again I dont know if it's worth the extra cash)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124014

I'm pretty sure that a computer with USB 2.0 will not affect the box that is configured for USB 1.0 or 1.1 at all, anyone confirm this? Are they making USB 2.0 interfaces yet that are under $200?
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
yep the E-MU 0202 and 0404 are USB 2.0 interfaces and are at or under $200 new.

IF you have a 1.1 interface you can plug it into a 2.0 slot but it will be limited to the speed of the 1.1 port.

All that MF has listed as a 2.0 USB interface, (listed above $200 as well):
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/compare?base_pid=240218&base_pid=240306&base_pid=705624&base_pid=242193&base_pid=242192&base_pid=240552&base_pid=242516&base_pid=241806&base_pid=245002
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 28, 2008,