G'day folks. I get clicking/ squeaking sounds from my nut( and sometimes string tree i think) on big bends. I have heard that filing the nut abit can help assuming strings are too tight.. or alternately runnign razor blade in nut cos they may be too loose! Strings are same as always 0.9's and its an american strat with standard nut! Any suggestions?? Graphite helps but i have to keep puttin more on-jsut little annoying on £700 guitar...
hahahahah from the first part of the sentence it sounds like youre talkin about your balls.
Quote by mr.cheese..
Now I've got it! Masturbate in the mud while smoking weed!

Quote by darkstar2466
Meaning is not absolute.
Does the noise sound like "SKEET SKEET?"

Lil' Jon aside, try throwing a little graphite from a mechanical pencil in there next time you change strings.
Maybe try tens...
I'm not sure I'd go so far as filing or taking a razorblade to it yet. If graphite is helping, that's your answer. Only it looks like you need something that lasts a little longer.

Two things you might want to look at are Big Bends Nut Sauce, and GHS Graphitall. I haven't heard any clear claims on which one is better than the other, but they're both made to do the same thing. They are a lubricant that's used at the points where the strings touch the guitar (generally nut and saddles).

Big Bends Nut Sauce I've used and so far it works great. The only thing is for a good sized syringe, it can cost around $25. It should last you a decent while though, and the applicator and included brush make it really easy to apply in those small spots like the nut grooves.

GHS Graphitall I also have, but haven't used yet (I still have a ways to go on the Big Bends). The plus about this thing is the price. Got a small (tiny) bottle for about $5. Looks like a decent amount and should be able to do almost as much as the Big Bends. It looks much thicker, and according to one tech that uses it a lot, seems to last longer than the Big Bends does.

Try that and see how it goes.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
So this is is fairly normal? Just it doesnt even happen on my squire so.. U should be expecting such issues with a regular un lubed guitar?
It happens often enough, and can happen on any guitar really.

A more permanent solution would be to have the nut changed to either a graphite or self-lubricating Graphtech nut. The material they use prevents strings from binding on the nut in the first place. I'd recommend at least the graphite nut as a replacement on pretty much any guitar really. It will also help keep the guitar in tune, as most tuning problems are because of either poorly wound strings at the machine head, or strings binding in the nut after a bend or tremolo use.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."