When I boot up my mac laptop the screen goes black and it says " /bin/sh exec format error". What does this mean and is the problem fixable? Any help would be great.
I don't know **** about macs, but it sounds like you have a corrupted boot file...

Might have to take it to an apple store...
Quote by whosamerica
i think this is the one mac error for every 7000 pc errors there are.

This does not change the fact that it happened to OP.

OP, take it to an Apple store, they'd know what to do with it.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Does this means its about time to make a Mac Vs. Pc where Pc wins???

I have no idea how Mac works but if you have the Mac installation cd you could pop that in and go to BIOS if a MAc has one? and set your cd drive to boot first. If it was a Pc that would work, Mac... maybe not.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Last edited by Mettliccaa at Apr 20, 2008,
Take it to where you bought it, they should be able to do something (as I know **** all about macs)

Quote by whosamerica
i think this is the one mac error for every 7000 pc errors there are.

Quote by metaldazza
this is pretty bad, boot from the OSX install CD's that came with the mac (hold down command-c to boot from the CD) and then run disk utility to see if it can be repaired. Here is an apple article about disk issues with things you can try: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

good luck

I don't think I have the install CD anymore. I moved and I'm pretty sure it's where I left from.
You have a Mac. thats your problem
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Quote by zanz1bar
You have a Mac. thats your problem

lololol!

No. Shut the **** up if you can't contribute something funny or worthwhile.

OP,

/bin/sh is the bourne shell, which *nix uses to run commands. Pretty much, without a working version of sh, you're ****ed.

You'll probably have to reinstall from disc.

-SD
Get a Windows based PC.

Just kidding, if your computer with an OS reinstallation disk, now would be the time to use it.
Sent from my iPad.
You may have to reinstall.
If not, put in your install DVD, and run Disk Utility. Then, Repair Disk.

Otherwise, Wipe and reinstall.

You may have to boot from CD. Hold down "c" while booting, when the disk is in drive.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
It sounds like your startup files are corrupted. Check out the discussions in the Apple Support discussions. If anyone can help you, it would be the people there. Plus there would be no pointless mac bashing or windows bashing. http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
yeh thats what you need the instalation cd if you dont have it then just take it to the store

and seriously everybody thats disn macs shut up nobody cares that your pc is so frigin great
and why does everybody hate macs so much ? becouse not every program comes compatible for it thats becouse either the majority of users use pc becouse their more widely known and "eisier" to use when seiriousely macs are just as easy if not eisier to use . or reason 2 that program cant keep up with apples being NON LAGY.and by the way if you dont know what repartitioning a computer means it means swiching operating systems if you repartition a mac to run windows it acualy runs windows better than a pc made to run windows
i dont lve macs for mac osx or whatever operating system its running althogh it helps becouse in my opinion it is easier to use but whats so great about macs is the computer itself

but if you wanna continue with crap gateways compaques or ughh dells or hps whatever just shut up they all use the same internet so who cares
i dont believe you.

from what i always hear Macs are perfect and nothing ever goes wrong.

so either, 1. you are a liar, or 2. you are actually using a PC and are confused.

serious answer: try a mac forum, or contact customer service.
Quote by NOT_haxors
yeh thats what you need the instalation cd if you dont have it then just take it to the store

and seriously everybody thats disn macs shut up nobody cares that your pc is so frigin great
and why does everybody hate macs so much ? becouse not every program comes compatible for it thats becouse either the majority of users use pc becouse their more widely known and "eisier" to use when seiriousely macs are just as easy if not eisier to use . or reason 2 that program cant keep up with apples being NON LAGY.and by the way if you dont know what repartitioning a computer means it means swiching operating systems if you repartition a mac to run windows it acualy runs windows better than a pc made to run windows
i dont lve macs for mac osx or whatever operating system its running althogh it helps becouse in my opinion it is easier to use but whats so great about macs is the computer itself

but if you wanna continue with crap gateways compaques or ughh dells or hps whatever just shut up they all use the same internet so who cares

Nobody cares why you think macs are so frigin great either.

Ts, take it to a mac store, they'd be much more help than us.
Quote by daytripper75
i dont believe you.

from what i always hear Macs are perfect and nothing ever goes wrong.

so either, 1. you are a liar, or 2. you are actually using a PC and are confused.

serious answer: try a mac forum, or contact customer service.

Hah. This reminds me of the thread where somebody was asking how to resize pictures. I responded with something similar.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
try dropping it off your roof, chucking eggs at it, and throwing molotov cocktails at it, then try to reboot it. if that doesnt work, take it in to the computer store