Okay i have this problem..
Looking at my predicted grades for GCSE.. and assuming I get them..i have either the choice of doing sciences etc.. in college then do medical or
Do a Btec degree in music then do music production in university.
The problem is that I love music and I think i could get pretty far even in the super-uber-competitive music industry although I may just get nowhere and end up throwing a lot of chances away..

On the other hand i could go do a medical degree.. work for 5 years or so then open a music studio or something. Although for the next ...
Medical is fairly interesting.. pays extremely well and is rewarding in terms of the satisfaction of helping people.. but 5 years in uni, and another couple years training....
I just see those houses on Cribs and think.. why can't i live there... if they can do it then why can't i!

My last chance to apply for music ends in a month and I am still undecided.
Gear:
Fender Strat American Deluxe,
Halfsize Custom Electro-acoustic
Yamaha Classical
Tanglewood Dreadnought

10w Marshall
120w Line 6 Spider II
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

Yamaha Digital Piano
Yamaha Keyboard
unless you are the next petrucci/satriani/Dimebag/Vai/ whoever,

go for medicine!
music can be a hobby and you can always go into it!
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
Medicine. The seven years of education and training would be well worth it for the amount of money you will make. I'd make a rough estimate and say that 90% of musicians won't make it big.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Sit down and think long and hard about which field to go in. Don't let the Pit decide what your future will be.
Take medicine and ****, theres a need for doctors, atleast in Canada. Practice music as a hobby and who knows, you could still easily make it.
Quote by InvaderTSN
Sit down and think long and hard about which field to go in. Don't let the Pit decide what your future will be.

This man speaks words of wisdom. Do not listen to the Pit.
To be honest, go into medical. Music is a hobby and I think it can only be achieved as a career only if it is a hobby. Although, if you're a doctor, you may not have enough time to play guitar much.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by InvaderTSN

But if he did that, he'd be listening to the pit. Now what the hell is he going to do? Way to go.
Quote by ivan_2894
unless you are the next petrucci/satriani/Dimebag/Vai/ whoever,

go for medicine!
music can be a hobby and you can always go into it!
None of those people are (full time) producers, they're musicians.
Quote by paintITblack39
To be honest, go into medical. Music is a hobby and I think it can only be achieved as a career only if it is a hobby. Although, if you're a doctor, you may not have enough time to play guitar much.

I disagree, if you only play music as a hobby you may as well go for medicine. BUT if you go balls out and put in 110% you have a better chance of succeeding than just giving up straight away! Music is competitive, but then again so is medicine.
I Like Music
Quote by Brain245
But if he did that, he'd be listening to the pit. Now what the hell is he going to do? Way to go.

Lol .. I think I'll sleep on it. Oh what the heck. . I'll work part time as a doctor and spend the rest of the time trying to make it as a producer.. that should balance out pretty well dont ya think?
Gear:
Yamaha Classical
Tanglewood Dreadnought

10w Marshall
120w Line 6 Spider II
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

Yamaha Digital Piano
Yamaha Keyboard
Music can give you an okay career, but its not likely that you're going to be as big as you think (like Cribs or whatever). Being a music teacher or something like that is more likely than anything. But if you think you can make it, remember that its not just skill either, because look extremely talent bands like Necrophagist or Origin arent really famous, while simple chord progressions from Green Day and Nickelback rake in the big bucks.

Medical however, if you can make it through the tough classes, you've got a solid income and nice life for yourself, where you can still pursue music in your spare time.

This is coming from a guy who is trying to balance his sweep picking with organic chemistry lab writeups
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Lol what a guy can't help others and help himself? =P
Gear:
Yamaha Classical
Tanglewood Dreadnought

10w Marshall
120w Line 6 Spider II
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

Yamaha Digital Piano
Yamaha Keyboard
youre not going to get a house on cribs with music production....
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Sound Mind
This man speaks words of wisdom. Do not listen to the Pit.

The pit gives good advice [occasionally]. One time, I concluded that I, in fact, did NOT have appendicitis, tumor, or that I was not stabbed in the abdomen and that I was actually really really constipated. Thank you guys!
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
well you have a 120w Line 6 Spider II...so do not become a musician

everyone loves music man so that really isnt a great reason, unless you really love it like its an undying passion, love it more than your own children, would commits suicide if you became deaf, or if you get that reoccurring though "theres nothing in this universe i would rather do than play guitar, make music etc.."
than go for it head first.

as for owning a spider II....
if you are just starting out on guitar thats alright, but that cant be true because of all the equipment you list that you have, and you also should have sufficient funds i mean Fender American Deluxes aint cheap, and i mean even if you are going digital couldnt you at least get a flextone or roland??.....

going under my assumptions, either ..
a)you have no tone for ear whatsoever
b)you dont really take music seriously, and just want it as a ticket to fame and $$
c)your a dumb rich kid who can afford all that stuff

if a or b do not pursue music you will ultimately fail and make less money than you could be making

if c than go for it because your parents probably have enough $$$ and contacts to make you famous.

dude if your smart enough to become a doctor than become one because you can right now

im pretty sure there are thousands of poor musicians who wish they were a doctor

or you can just train to be come like a nurse or something which takes a couple of years, and will probably make around 50k-60k and use it as a safety net just in case you fail...

Edit: wtf do i know, i haven't accomplished anything in my life as of yet, although i have met a couple of musicians who have "made it" and thats the same advice they gave me so im just passing it on
not the Spider=crap part, thats just my opinion and assumptions ive made after seeing what kind of people who usually own Spider II
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
Last edited by STriNG-RaY at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
work for 5 years in medicine and then open a music studio? Good joke. You start on £16-18,000 a year for the first 3-5 years or so, if I remember right.

Actually its around £30K for the first 2 years then goes up to about £40K.
Takes around another 2 years to become a GP then you rake in about £60k - £100K minimum. I know a professional pianist who's a doctor as well so its still feasible.

Quote by STriNG-RaY
well you have a 120w Line 6 Spider II...so do not become a musician

everyone loves music man so that really isnt a great reason, unless you really love it like its an undying passion, love it more than your own children, would commits suicide if you became deaf, or if you get that reoccurring though "theres nothing in this universe i would rather do than play guitar, make music etc.."
than go for it head first.

as for owning a spider II....
if you are just starting out on guitar thats alright, but that cant be true because of all the equipment you list that you have, and you also should have sufficient funds i mean Fender American Deluxes aint cheap, and i mean even if you are going digital couldnt you at least get a flextone or roland??.....

going under my assumptions, either ..
a)you have no tone for ear whatsoever
b)you dont really take music seriously, and just want it as a ticket to fame and $$
c)your a dumb rich kid who can afford all that stuff

if a or b do not pursue music you will ultimately fail and make less money than you could be making

if c than go for it because your parents probably have enough $$$ and contacts to make you famous.

dude if your smart enough to become a doctor than become one because you can right now

im pretty sure there are thousands of poor musicians who wish they were a doctor

or you can just train to be come like a nurse or something which takes a couple of years, and will probably make around 50k-60k and use it as a safety net just in case you fail...

Edit: wtf do i know, i haven't accomplished anything in my life as of yet, although i have met a couple of musicians who have "made it" and thats the same advice they gave me so im just passing it on
not the Spider=crap part, thats just my opinion and assumptions ive made after seeing what kind of people who usually own Spider II

As for being a dumb rich kid, far from it =) thankfully. I've learned to work for my money, mainly because I grew up poor and most of my relatives still are. I'm from Burma so I'll leave it up to your imagination..

The Fender I had to work my ass off for (plus i got it for like £750 new) but as for replacing my amp...
I haven't got round to it yet (trust me I wanna sell it..but i need to find someone with no sense of tone.. much like the Indie bands around here)

The digital sound sucks but thankfully the place my band used to practice in had Marshall Plexi's XD

Music for me is serious. A lot of people say that but for me it is to the point that I spend at the least 4 hours a day practicing guitar, playing piano or trying to compose.

I've been in around 3 bands but it never worked out due to clashes in musical taste etc...
Gear:
Yamaha Classical
Tanglewood Dreadnought

10w Marshall
120w Line 6 Spider II
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

Yamaha Digital Piano
Yamaha Keyboard
Do what you want to do, not what the money tells you to do. I could probably easily get in and study medcine, but instead I'm going for the harder to get into Vet route, which pays about a quarter of the wage of your average GP to the boot.

The way it looks like, is that what you really want to do is to be involved in music. Don't waste your time with medcine if you only think of it as a path into music. You will be much better of going straight into what you want to do.

It may not seem obvious, but vets and doctors have some the highest suicide rates of any profession, because people don't think through what they will have to do fully, and hate themselves for going into it. Go for a job you will enjoy, and you won't have any regrets.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Yeah ^ too suicide comment.

It is possible to survive of playing music. But think about where you're going to want to be when your 50 years old. When living in apartments on minimum money isn't as easy as it was when you were starting out.
Expect the worst outcome and then you'll make it out safer.
Last edited by UGSchizophrenic at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by UGSchizophrenic
Yeah ^ too suicide comment.

It is possible to survive of playing music. But think about where you're going to want to be when your 50 years old. When living in apartments on minimum money isn't as easy as it was when you were starting out.
Expect the worst outcome and then you'll make it out safer.

However, being an doctor can be an incredibly stressful job. If you aren't the sort of person who can handle the pressure of having someone die on you, you probably won't be alive at 50.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
you would probably have a better chance getting a steady job as a doctor or somthing than a producer...
and if you think that medical stuff is interesting, it wouldnt be bad...
plus theres always the option of going into music as a smaller deal..
sig under construction.
Quote by ShreddyVanhalen
Actually its around £30K for the first 2 years then goes up to about £40K.
Takes around another 2 years to become a GP then you rake in about £60k - £100K minimum. I know a professional pianist who's a doctor as well so its still feasible.

Changed from the presentation I was given when I was considering medicine then. However that was a few years ago.

Remember though, that wage packet dosn't include income tax. That's £5000 a year (after your tax allowance). Then there's the £35000+ you'll owe in the form of student loan repayments, overdrafts etc...

Music studios cost a lot of money, as well. But for all that, you need to get your degree, and then get a job, which is becoming harder and harder for doctors these days. Hence why I'm going into medical research... much less stressful, much easier to get into, and there can be very sizeable paycheques to boot.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Changed from the presentation I was given when I was considering medicine then. However that was a few years ago.

Remember though, that wage packet dosn't include income tax. That's £5000 a year (after your tax allowance). Then there's the £35000+ you'll owe in the form of student loan repayments, overdrafts etc...

Yeah, but how much is he realistically looking to get paid if he tries to get somewhere in music?

TS, I think we have determined theres no good outcome out of either. You have failed life.

TS, I think we have determined theres no good outcome out of either. You have failed life.
Oh thanks for the support =)

Both of my parents are medical doctors but they don't have a clue about the music industry. But safe to know that I can ask them for help in terms of a career in medicine. See i haven't failed quite yet
Gear:
Yamaha Classical
Tanglewood Dreadnought

10w Marshall
120w Line 6 Spider II
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

Yamaha Digital Piano
Yamaha Keyboard
Last edited by ShreddyVanhalen at Apr 21, 2008,
d00d, all i can say, is i had a similar choice, only with music production or performance as a career, so quite alot easier to figure out

all i can say is, i studied one year of a music degree, that had me meeting some of the best musicians in my city, and lined me up for soooo many auditions for bands and such, but i hated it, absolutely hated it, and if you're not 110% into medicine, you'll feel like i did at uni, lose motivation, and fail...hard...

luckily, i had some luck and got 100% on all of my practical pieces thus negating my failure in theory, allowing me to change to a production degree, and now i couldn't be happier...cost me 10,000 bucks but i learned...

don't make my mistakes, whatever you love is what you go for