I'm gonna be getting a tube amp soon, but you can't put headphones in them, so sadly, i'm gonna have to keep my Spider III for bedroom practice, so i was wondering, what is a good alternative for the Spider III?

If i get another amp, it has to be of better quality(duh ), but in the same price range, because after i buy my tube amp i'm gonna get another guitar. So as you can tell, i don't have any room to be spending any extra cash. I'm just getting tired of my Spider and want a better amp, for the same price range.

I've heard a lot about Roland Cubes, but i do not know much about them.
O O

___
The cube. Or maybe a vox.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
If you're just going to be using it for bedroom practice with headphones, I recommend you save your money and just stick with the spider. It would only be a marginal improvement if you got another solid state modeling amp in its place.
1.) Are these good amps?

2.) What is the difference in these?

Roland CUBE-30

Roland CUBE-30X

i remember somebody at a music store trying to talk me into buying this instead of the Spider, and i was like no, i like the spider...

Quote by T!AN
If you're just going to be using it for bedroom practice with headphones, I recommend you save your money and just stick with the spider. It would only be a marginal improvement if you got another solid state modeling amp in its place.

Well i wouldn't necessarily be spending any money because i was planning on selling the spider for an amp with the same price, but good advice though.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Apr 20, 2008,
Vox DA5.
Quote by imgooley
Vox DA5.

That's a little bit tiny don't ya think, i mean, compared to what i have now...(pics in my profile)

What are anybody's thoughts on this amp: VOX DA20
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Apr 20, 2008,
Ive heard good things about the micro cube.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by TheBax
That's a little bit tiny don't ya think, i mean, compared to what i have now...(pics in my profile)

What are anybody's thoughts on this amp: VOX DA20

Well, how much power do you need for a practice amp? And if you are considering the DA20, go with the AD15 VT instead.

What genres do you play?

EDIT: That is the same amp that I have (both the spider and the DA5) and the DA5 gets just as loud as the spider and sounds ten times better. Plus, if you want it for headphones and such, the DA5 is better and more portable, since it's 5 watts and battery powered.
Last edited by imgooley at Apr 20, 2008,
Quote by imgooley
EDIT: That is the same amp that I have (both the spider and the DA5) and the DA5 gets just as loud as the spider and sounds ten times better. Plus, if you want it for headphones and such, the DA5 is better and more portable, since it's 5 watts and battery powered.

Wow...that's the best post on this whole thread, that helped dramatically. Yeah, and i noticed the battery powered thing, that sounds VERY convinient.

How much louder does the DA5 get than the spider?

And as for genres, mainly punk/alternative. (AFI to The Cure to Misfits)
O O

___
Roland stuff is awesome. If you can afford it, go for it.

Another good option is the Peavey Transtube series. Not as many options but they sound better IMO.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by TheBax
Wow...that's the best post on this whole thread, that helped dramatically. Yeah, and i noticed the battery powered thing, that sounds VERY convinient.

How much louder does the DA5 get than the spider?

And as for genres, mainly punk/alternative. (AFI to The Cure to Misfits)

It's just a tiny bit louder, but there are few situations where you would turn it up anyway. And unlike the spider, the DA5 sounds good cranked.

The main drawback to the DA5 is that it only has one tone control. It's a mid heavy amp anyway, so if you roll the tone back a little bit, and put on the compression on the High Gain 3 channel, you should get some nice punk tones.

It's 140 bucks american, if that has any bearing on your choice.
Quote by imgooley
It's 140 bucks american, if that has any bearing on your choice.

Holy $H!T, i could get TWO of those for the price of my spider!!!

How much would a Vox AD15VT cost, it looks awesome.
O O

___
Its 200 bucks on Musiciansfriend.com

Is that a thirty watt spider that you have? Because when I was making my comparison, I was using my 15 watt one as a base for the DA5.
Sell the spider, buy a DA5 or microcube with the money and save up for the tubey,
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
I just looked at the DA15. It looks pretty cool and i listened to the demo of it, and it's sounds WAY better than my old Spider. I'm gonna go try one out this weekend probably.

How much would a Vox DA15 cost me??? I'll probably have close to 300 bucks..(what i paid for my spider)

Quote by imgooley
Its 200 bucks on Musiciansfriend.com

Is that a thirty watt spider that you have? Because when I was making my comparison, I was using my 15 watt one as a base for the DA5.

And yes, it's a 30 watt.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by TheBax
I just looked at the DA15. It looks pretty cool and i listened to the demo of it, and it's sounds WAY better than my old Spider. I'm gonna go try one out this weekend probably.

How much would a Vox DA15 cost me??? I'll probably have close to 300 bucks..(what i paid for my spider)

Why would you look at bigger amps if you're going to use the headphone output anyhow?
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by HeliuM
Why would you look at bigger amps if you're going to use the headphone output anyhow?

good point. i usually like to turn it up loud when my parents aren't home, but that's what the DSL50 is gonna be for....

btw...it's only $200 on Musicians friend, and i like the 2 preset channels.

I'm gonna be using this for band practice for about 4 months until i get my marshall, too.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Apr 21, 2008,
get a cube, seriously.
i have two and love them both.
if you're going for portability and such, get the microcube, its much better.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
I suggest you try the Cube, The DA Series, and the Valvetronix series, as those are the best modelers for the price. Decide which one you like and go from there.
Band practice?
Roland 30X
or some vox..

I have a Peavy Transtube.
Pretty good.
Just need another pedal for distortion

But what is your Spider III?
15W?
If it's more than a 15W just stick with it.
No need to waste cash on another tiny amp
Another vote for the cube. I just bought a micro cube used for less than $100 and I'm floored how nice this thing sounds and how loud it is! Thing is built like a tank too.

Do yourself a favor and go audition a cube.

GAD
The Vox valvetronix series is better than the Vox DA series, so go for the Vox ad15vt(think it's US$200).
Quote by T!AN

+1

whats wrong with the spider that it wont work? its not like ur performing live with it, and if its a spider III, it should actually sound decent (good to me) in a dorm situation. buying better headphones would be cheaper and would allow you to make use of your Pod output.

dont spend money you dont have to spend. you've got an amp that does everything you need right now, and their is no sense in chunking out a bunch of cash for something that will be slightly better if that.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I tend to agree. As an owner of a Spider, I think the modest improvement in tone you would get by moving to a Vox or Cube wouldn't be worth the costs. If you wanted the same flexibility as the Spider buy better tone a Flextone would be a good option, but they are cheap. If you wanted general tube tone with head phones you could get a Peavey Royal 8 or Ibanez Valbee.

My plans are to replace my Spider with a Krank Rev. Jr. so I can get high gain at low volume, but with tube tone. I have a $40 Vox AmPlug, a headphone amp that I can use to practice without waking anyone up.