im looking to get a head soon thats 100W. the cab that the company sells to match with it is 260W and is a 4x12. i want to get a 2x12 to save room.

my question is, why do they put a cab with such high wattage with a head thats only 100W, marshalls do the same thing a lot of the time. is it so the speakers dont break up too much and get driven really hard when the amp is cranked?

im looking at a 2x12 thats 140W, would there be any problem with running this with a 100W head? keep in mind ill have the head on 30W mode 90% of the time probably.

your help would be appreciated, cheers.
as long as the speaker is higher then the head i think its fine a mg100 comes with a 120w cab and a avt150 comes with a 200w so it should be fine if u get a 140 with a 100
Gear:
Jackson JS30 with emg 81/85 (bridge/neck)
Epiphone SG Special
Esteban Acoustic (won in a bet lol)
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Marshall AVT20
Quote by Metallicaxp
Remember to do your Daily Jerk, Never forget!
The cabs have a higher wattage because the amp puts out more power than 100 watts at full volume. Dimed the amp will put out 25-30% more power so you need to be sure that won't blow the speakers.
Epi SG G400 Lefty
Modded Valve Junior
Noisy Cricket 1/2 Watt

Toneport GX
Quote by groovis
The cabs have a higher wattage because the amp puts out more power than 100 watts at full volume. Dimed the amp will put out 25-30% more power so you need to be sure that won't blow the speakers.

+1

The power rated to each amp is based off of its clean volume. But when the signal is distorted it can surpass the rated watts. So you always wanna get something that can handle more wattage then your amp is rated for
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
+1

The power rated to each amp is based off of its clean volume. But when the signal is distorted it can surpass the rated watts. So you always wanna get something that can handle more wattage then your amp is rated for

so its a good idea to get a cab thats over 2x the amps rating? just curious. ill be using the amp in 30W mode so no matter how dimed it is i think 140 will be good
as long as you get a quality speaker, it should be conservatively rated, and also rated at RMS. Sometimes you may want more speaker breakup, so you match the speaker rating as close as possible to the amps output. I had Framus 100W head with the factory matching 100W cab loaded with Greenbacks, and there was no problem cranking it up. It was actually the best sounding cab with that particular head, and I think it was partly do to the speaker breakup the greenies were contributing.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
yea, so if you have a 100 watt amp with a 100 watt cab you will probably be alright, but to me thats pushing it. If you have 30 watt speakers, a 60 watt cab would be fine. But 140 would be even better because if you ever got an amp with more wattage you could still use the same cab.

But it won't sound any better or any worse
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
It should be noted that *can* run a lower watt cab with a higher amp output if you do not intend on maxing out the amp's output. In other words, if you play your 100 watt amp at say half the volume most of the time, you could get away with using say a 80 watt cab. But it must be noted, you would run the risk of blowing the speaker if your amp's output surpasses the speaker's ability.

I run a 100 watt power amp into a 2x12 right now. But i never play louder than half-way anymore cause I'm in college, living in an apartment, and noise=fines lol... I can get away with running a 80 watt 1x12 because I don't foresee myself surpassing the 80 watt limit.

But to emphasize... unless you are sure of what you are doing, you should get a higher rated cab!!!
As a rule, the speakers' rated wattage needs to be the amps wattage +10%. That's to be completely safe.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by bartdevil_metal
As a rule, the speakers' rated wattage needs to be the amps wattage +10%. Thats to be completley safe.

Good rule. I'd still feel safe running a 100 watt head into a 75 watt cab, 'cause lordy knows I'm not using all 100 of those watts.