DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Are you gigging? If not you don't need a 100 watt nor a 50 watt truss me those tubes are loud!!!!
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
check out a b-52 i have 1 and its great for metal and jazz stuff bulgera is actually a side company of barhinger
Quote by angeldef
Are you gigging? If not you don't need a 100 watt nor a 50 watt truss me those tubes are loud!!!!

I gig some, but I've already got a practice amp and I'm looking to gig more in the near future.....still trying to deal with getting the band to meet together.
I say save some more and get a Mark IV or a ENGL. And you won't need to look for other amps
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by carniferous
I vote not Valveking.

Please, tell why? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I would just like to know the downsides.
I feel that it is overly muddy, both clean and distorted. It's not overly reliable. I really feel like it doesn't do anything well. It just does almost everything ok. Very ok. If you want to sound ok, play though a stock valveking. Just don't expect to love your tone.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by carniferous
I feel that it is overly muddy, both clean and distorted. It's not overly reliable. I really feel like it doesn't do anything well. It just does almost everything ok. Very ok. If you want to sound ok, play though a stock valveking. Just don't expect to love your tone.

So, what would you suggest for a fairly affordable tube amp that sounds great?
Have you considered a used classic 30 and an overdrive? If you buy the VK and upgrade it w/ new tubes & a new speaker, then it's alright. For that money, though... you could do better. Do you need to gig? Exactly what is your price range?
^Randall RG50TC for metalz.
Cleans are usable though at best.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by carniferous
Have you considered a used classic 30 and an overdrive? If you buy the VK and upgrade it w/ new tubes & a new speaker, then it's alright. For that money, though... you could do better. Do you need to gig? Exactly what is your price range?

I'm planning on gigging more in the next couple of months and that's why I'm trying to decide on this now. I've already got an okay practice amp, especially with all the pedals I have. My price range would be around $1,200 tops.
Oh dear.

Are you serious?

$1200, and we're looking at Valvekings? If we're talking American, then your options are a lot better than that.

EDIT: Look into Traynors. Consider a Windsor. Perhaps a used marshall? Again, while it's easy to classify amps as high, mid, or lo-gain, each amp has a unique voice that requires further classification. .
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Last edited by carniferous at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by carniferous
Oh dear.

Are you serious?

$1200, and we're looking at Valvekings? If we're talking American, then your options are a lot better than that.

Haha! Well, I'm trying to keep it cheap because I haven't reached that mark yet. I'm trying to find anything that can give me a pretty awesome tone before I went out a blew a couple thousand on an amp that has just minor differences.
If you want a relatively cheap amp that gets a wide number of tones, try a Line 6 Flextone. Good quality as well. Also, look at my edit.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Quote by carniferous
If you want a relatively cheap amp that gets a wide number of tones, try a Line 6 Flextone. Good quality as well. Also, look at my edit.

I will definitely look at that. In the mean time, what do you think about the B-52 AT series?
I've heard that B-52s have some reliability issues. Then again, so might my source. The phrase "poor-man's Mesa" has come up once or twice. There are some good YouTube demos. Go check those out and see what you think. I was fairly impressed.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Quote by carniferous
I've heard that B-52s have some reliability issues. Then again, so might my source. The phrase "poor-man's Mesa" has come up once or twice. There are some good YouTube demos. Go check those out and see what you think. I was fairly impressed.

I just viewed a couple earlier and that's kind of what sparked my interest. I also heard the "Poor Man's Mesa" remark. Ah, if it sounds even close to a Mesa at that cheap, then I'll definitely put my money down on it. My problem is that I live in a secluded area where the nearest Guitar Center is like 90 miles away and they don't carry all these items that I'm looking at. Actually, the GC nearest me just holds The ValveKing and the Line 6 Spider Valve is their cheapest tubes. Of course, the ValveKing sounded great, but it's not like their was much competition.
Quote by carniferous
I've heard that B-52s have some reliability issues. Then again, so might my source.

This is true. B-52 is like Huyandi, plagued with a stigma that dosn't really apply to things they've built in the past couple years.

Mabye I reccomend a JCM800 or 900 combo?
Did you try the spider valve? I demo'd one in a GC in Raleigh, NC, and it was laughable. So cheesy. I feel like the B-52 may be good for you. You knew the answer all along, as it turns out.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Quote by carniferous
Did you try the spider valve? I demo'd one in a GC in Raleigh, NC, and it was laughable. So cheesy. I feel like the B-52 may be good for you. You knew the answer all along, as it turns out.

I tried it. The controls killed it for me, to be frank, but potentioal was there. Somewhere.
Quote by carniferous

I suppose I did, haha! Actually, I tried the Spider Valve and thought that the Peavey sounded a whole lot better....the Peavey was cheaper. Line 6 makes great practice amps, but for gigging? I'd say not! But who am I to talk? I've got a frickin' Marhsall MG250 DFX. To be honest, it sounds great with all my pedals, but that's using a distortion, EQ, Reverb, and some Delay. It's actually not loud at all to be 100+ watts.
Quote by Moe.
Uhh, you are looking at a cab also, yeah?

Yea, I will need one. I've been told that cabs aren't the most important thing, but I suppose this is a stupid view.
Quote by Riffomatic_5000
Yea, I will need one. I've been told that cabs aren't the most important thing, but I suppose this is a stupid view.

Between a head and a cab, there's no such thing as 'most important'. They're both important for each other. With a crappy cab, you'll get a muddy sound. With a good cab and a crappy Head, you might get something like a muddy sound again.
So, if you can, split up that money and look for a used 1960a cab, and a head of preference.
Thanks to great advice last night, I'm now debating between getting the B-52 AT I was looking at or a Traynor. Here's a link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Special-100H-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481158

Now, I still need to look for a good cab. I heard that the Behringer Ultrastack's were good, but I would probably get trashed for even mentioning them. I'm really going to need a low price on the cab, because both heads I'm looking at are pretty pricey without the cabs. If you guys could give me some good suggestions, I would definitely appreciate it.
Quote by carniferous
Avatar and Lopo are also good, if you can't go used.

Your mom was good used.

But really, Avatar, Lopo, or some cheap temporary cab from CL until you save for something nicer.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Your mom was good used.

But really, Avatar, Lopo, or some cheap temporary cab from CL until you save for something nicer.

I'm looking at a Lobo amp at the moment. I'm pretty surprised at the price, mainly because of the outstanding reviews of the products. Here's the one I'm looking at: http://www.lopoline.com/catalog/item/3698269/3407069.htm

I'm really liking that Traynor, but I just can't find any videos of the daggum thing. What do you guys think? B-52 or Traynor? I'm talking in terms of reliability and overall performance.
Quote by Riffomatic_5000
I'm looking at a Lobo amp at the moment. I'm pretty surprised at the price, mainly because of the outstanding reviews of the products. Here's the one I'm looking at: http://www.lopoline.com/catalog/item/3698269/3407069.htm

I'm really liking that Traynor, but I just can't find any videos of the daggum thing. What do you guys think? B-52 or Traynor? I'm talking in terms of reliability and overall performance.

Be aware, Lobo cabs come with no speakers...if you're on a budget, a 2x12" is probably a better deal.
Quote by Riffomatic_5000
I'm planning on gigging more in the next couple of months and that's why I'm trying to decide on this now. I've already got an okay practice amp, especially with all the pedals I have. My price range would be around $1,200 tops.

Thats your price range? I thought yours was 400-600 because of the suggestion you gave. Now you can actually get a Mesa Mark IV, awesome at everything. Can do anything!

Go used though, you can get either the head or the combo. I say the head if you have a cab already (Good cab though)
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Be aware, Lobo cabs come with no speakers...if you're on a budget, a 2x12" is probably a better deal.

Crap....is there anyway I can get them to install them? If not, is there anything else you can suggest?
Do you have a small, non-chain music store around? They might do it for you. Or, if you have a little skill, you can do it yourself. Apparently. I wouldn't really know. Going used on CL seems to be the best bet.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Quote by carniferous
Do you have a small, non-chain music store around? They might do it for you. Or, if you have a little skill, you can do it yourself. Apparently. I wouldn't really know. Going used on CL seems to be the best bet.

I'm having a hard time finding those amps. Is there a main website, or can you just post a link to one of their products?

Edit: I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about Craig's List.
Last edited by Riffomatic_5000 at Apr 22, 2008,
wait and get the 6505... the head is within the 1200 but you'll have to by a cab and great metal cabs can cost you my vader cost about 600
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Okay, now I'm looking at some amps a little more expensive than before. I'm currently looking at the Peavey 6505 that has been suggested and the Engl Fireball. Now, I've got complaints with both of them, but their minor. First, the Peavey looks great and I'm probably going to play it at GC this Sunday, but I've heard that the clean channel is very limited. Is this true? As for the Engl, my only problem is the lack of ways to shape the sound and it's only a 60W. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind 60W amps and too many knobs can get on my nerves, but is the Peavey better?
get a used 5150 combo, a used mesa f-series (the 50 or 100watt versions) if you're badly want a head then used peavey 5150/6505 is the way to go.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...