i believe they bypass the amps pre-amp and stuff so its just the pedal through the amp without any interferences.
idk.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
it basically a way to put all your effect pedal on and then cut them out with one switch
it will go to the preamp either way
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
what exactly is an effect loop in an amp and how to you use it? im looking into getting a new amp right now and some have these.

Most amps with effects loops will place the loop between the preamp and power amp stages. It's a great place for modulation effects like reverb, chorus, phase, flange and pitch shifters. Other types of effects like overdrive and wah pedals are better placed before the amp's input.

Effects loops will either be two separate jacks - send and return - or a single stereo jack with the send on the tip and the return on the ring contacts. The single jack requires a special cable called an "insert cable" or "Y-cable."
Quote by BAoxymoron
it basically a way to put all your effect pedal on and then cut them out with one switch
it will go to the preamp either way

huh?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by carpepax
Most amps with effects loops will place the loop between the preamp and power amp stages. It's a great place for modulation effects like reverb, chorus, phase, flange and pitch shifters. Other types of effects like overdrive and wah pedals are better placed before the amp's input.

Effects loops will either be two separate jacks - send and return - or a single stereo jack with the send on the tip and the return on the ring contacts. The single jack requires a special cable called an "insert cable" or "Y-cable."

oh i see. so right now i just have overdrive, wah and a rotovibe. should i just put them in the input normally? or should the rotovibe go in the loop?
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
so how would i hook my pedals up to it? because now im just running cables from my guitar, through the pedals and then into the amp(obviously). would i still have it like that but just into the effects loop?

Not exactly,

What you wanna do, is get a lead, run it from the 'send' output into the first pedal in your chain, then run another cable from the output of the last pedal in your cahin into the 'return' input jack on the amp.

You just connect your guitar directly to the amps input,

And shazzam sweet sounding effects added after the pre-amp

EDIT: Run the OD before the input, and the other two in the loop
It is so your reverb, delay, and modulation effects don't get distorted by the Preamp.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
oh i see. so right now i just have overdrive, wah and a rotovibe. should i just put them in the input normally? or should the rotovibe go in the loop?

The Rotovibe may sound better in the effects loop. Try it and see.
Quote by carpepax

+1 on this post