After playing for 10 months, I feel as if I am nowhere near where I should be. My timing is off, ive been told im sloppy, I barely alternate pick, and only know 2 scales. Ive goen weeks without practicing at times and when I do its 20 minutes a day. I feel like if I have a lot of potential and I could be great.... by my laziness is killing me. But im motivated now, I want to practice at least 20-30 minutes a day every day. Help! I want to make a good practice schedule, how should I go about this?

Then there is my playing.. over the next few days I'll post some videos. Im getting a memory card for my camera, which only records for about a minute. So for now we'll start off with a solo that I recorded today..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ey1XhIq6A4

I was told I play sloppy, what exactly is meant by this? In otherwards im letting strings ring out and each note isnt clear? Well, whatever it is what am i doing wrong.. how do I fix that?

I'll post some more covers when I have time to record.. metallica seek and destroy, posisbly sanitarium, and all the small things by blink 182 (simple I know.. but maybe it'll help to notice the flaws in my playing).

Thanks to all who reply.
Last edited by Supafly1824 at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
You play it slowly with a metronome and speed up in small increments as you feel more comfortable with the piece.

Thats the thing though.. I do feel comfortable playing stuff like what I posted, yet it never comes out right.. why, Im not quite sure though.
Im 15. Haha I would love to learn drums, but I live in an apartment building so that wouldnt work out.

Anyway my school doens't have a band or anything. My school sucks, especially for a guitarist in need -_-
Ehh 20-30 minutes may not be much. But I at least want to use that a starting point and then gradually increase my time. It's far better than what I am doing now..

I would also practice for at least an hour on weekends. I don't even have aspirations to be in a band or anything, it's just for my own personal enjoyment. But hey you never know <_<... I dream of the day where I can play the solos in songs like master of puppets.
Just incorporate a steady practice routine into your daily schedule. Being consistent definitely helps, and you should try to start off with a little bit at a time.

You said you've gone weeks without practicing and when you do, its 20-30 minutes a day? Well, from there why don't you begin by trying to fit in about an hour each day? Then after you've done that for a few weeks and become comfortable, try to move that up a notch, bit by bit. It'll feel natural to you, and you'll probably start seeing some progress.

I watched your video, and although I don't know that song, I think your solo sounded pretty cool! and p.s. I absolutely loved the way you kick/shoved that stool out of the way with that "I don't give a ****" attitude. You must be a punker.

Hope this helps,

-Sno
Quote by Supafly1824
Ehh 20-30 minutes may not be much. But I at least want to use that a starting point and then gradually increase my time. It's far better than what I am doing now..

I would also practice for at least an hour on weekends. I don't even have aspirations to be in a band or anything, it's just for my own personal enjoyment. But hey you never know <_<... I dream of the day where I can play the solos in songs like master of puppets.

if you want to practice for more then an hour.. then just do it... dont even put the guitar down. if you want to be as dedicated as you say you do... set a goal and go at it... learn and practice master of puppets till your fingers bleed. itll be worth it.
Quote by SnoDog
Just incorporate a steady practice routine into your daily schedule. Being consistent definitely helps, and you should try to start off with a little bit at a time.

You said you've gone weeks without practicing and when you do, its 20-30 minutes a day? Well, from there why don't you begin by trying to fit in about an hour each day? Then after you've done that for a few weeks and become comfortable, try to move that up a notch, bit by bit. It'll feel natural to you, and you'll probably start seeing some progress.

I watched your video, and although I don't know that song, I think your solo sounded pretty cool! and p.s. I absolutely loved the way you kick/shoved that stool out of the way with that "I don't give a ****" attitude. You must be a punker.

Hope this helps,

-Sno

Thanks :]. Regarding the chair... I was going to sit on it... but I always mess up when I sit on it so I gave that chair a big **** you and tried my luck on the couch, and what do you know, a good recording!

Haha pepsi, I know.. I get distracted easily though. But things are gonna be different now.

Also.. what should I be practicing exactly. I plan to get started on my new schedule on tuesday. Where do I begin? Tomorrow I'll post some more vids... I want to know where exactly im going wrong, if my picking technique is bad/ok, etc.

if you really think you have potential, in order to make it work, 30 minutes of practice everyday it's not going to take you far in a short period of time, if you really want to progress give it at least 1 hour everyday
Alright.. I'll shoot for 1 hour then. With the summer coming up and school coming to a close... I should have a lot more time for practicing. Though what to practice exactly? I know all the basics... hammer on, pull off, vibrato, tapping, chords, barre chords, palm mute, bending (needs work in my opinion), etc.
Quote by Supafly1824
Alright.. I'll shoot for 1 hour then. With the summer coming up and school coming to a close... I should have a lot more time for practicing. Though what to practice exactly? I know all the basics... hammer on, pull off, vibrato, tapping, chords, barre chords, palm mute, bending (needs work in my opinion), etc.

you've just answered yourself

and i think i'll be practicing at least 3 hours everyday this summer... i'm so close to nail those fast sweep licks, i'll get them after this summer yay!!!
Quote by deluxity
you've just answered yourself

and i think i'll be practicing at least 3 hours everyday this summer... i'm so close to nail those fast sweep licks, i'll get them after this summer yay!!!

Haha good luck.

But to better the techniques I know now, whats the best way? Should I practice certain songs that focus around that technique, should I learn some scales, etc..?
Quote by pepsi1187
if you want to practice for more then an hour.. then just do it... dont even put the guitar down. if you want to be as dedicated as you say you do... set a goal and go at it... learn and practice master of puppets till your fingers bleed. itll be worth it.

Just thought I'd give the ol' kudo's in the username

but, to the topic at hand. In order to play solos, like the master of puppets 2nd solo, you need to be dedicated to it. At your level of playing, this means months upon months of practicing that solo and gradually building up the speed. Don't rush it, and 20-30 minutes a day likely won't get you to that level very quickly, so you might need to change to a more realistic goal, or increase your practice time.

pepsi
lol kick the table for luck. yeh sounded pretty good, a little sloppy at one point but otherwise good. and for practice time 30 minutes for me is nothing, personally i practice for 4 hours a day or more, over holidays i might pull an all dayer. but yeh alot of guys here will have a 4-6 hour practice every day.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by deluxity

if you really think you have potential, in order to make it work, 30 minutes of practice everyday it's not going to take you far in a short period of time, if you really want to progress give it at least 1 hour everyday

Actually Its more What he practices in a time Rather than How long he just practices for i think. If you can find some old rock song they usually have fairly basic chords and progressions,etc..it'll less of a worry about getting chords right and make it easier to really listen to the timing..
you need to slow things down and work on developing your timing - you're pretty much playing the right notes but it doesn't sound like a solo because everything's out of time.

Study the original more and hear how notes are grouped together in the same way you'd group words into phrases when speaking. Also, listen to how the solo follows the chord changes. You've got the right idea, but essentially you've rushed learning it and have learned it "wrong".

Learn to play it at a much slower speed and work at getting it perfect, as in not missing any notes and getting the relative timing spot on. Split it up into sections - there's natural divisions in the solo itself, and work on it one bit at a time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
20-30 minutes is nothing...I play like 4 hours a day, I don't strictly have a practice regime, I just play, and enjoy it. I've been playing for 5 years and never once had a structure to practice. I did a few exercises when starting out, for finger strength, but that's all. The rest is done through fun. My point is, you shouldn't have to set yourself anything. Learning is meant to be enjoyable.
ok man im kinda in the same boat as you....I'm 15 (almost 16) i know all the basics and i dont seem to be improving (but i practice more than 30 min a day, 1-2 hours). I dont know if you've seen his vids but Kole told me that if you want to improve alot try learning blues. i thought i'd pass the knowledge forward so thats my advice
man...all u gotta do is practice! I practice around 6-8 hours a day and i've been playing for 1 year and a half...I'm just 16 and the first thing I do once I get out of school is pick up my guitar and start playing...my suggestion is to learn a blues song or start with nirvana. that's how I started and Then I moved on to Led Zeppelin and other bands. good luck
I'll give you the advice of one of Marty Friedman's lessons and say it's better to play 30 minutes completely focused and practicing a pattern/scale/song then 5 hours just wanking on your guitar. I'm somewhere in the middle though, I think I play 2 or 3 hours a day usually doing the first thing but I'm guilty of the second too sometimes.

Also you shouldn't be forcing yourself to play, it sounds like you don't want to practice, are you sure you want to play?
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook