Page 1 of 3
Yeah.. Everything that could possibly go wrong seemed to have yesterday...

Here's a list of what went wrong:

- I'm sick, so I was coughing a bit
- The mic was shocking me
- I couldn't hear myself out of the monitors very well
- Our bass player recently quit, so it was just me and a drummer
- I had a battery in my pocket, and it was shorting out on some coins, and getting really hot. I threw it on the ground after the first song because it was burning my leg.
- String broke, had no extras with me. (I picked up someone else's guitar, but I wasn't used to it, so I couldn't play as well)
- got quite a bit of feedback coming out of the monitors
- I was using someone else's amp, and couldn't get the tones and volume right.
- This all distracted me, and i made quite a few mistakes, and forgot lyrics/song order.
- Transformer (power chord) for a pedal had a bad connection, and cut out in the middle of a song.
- Guitar chord came unplugged in a different song.

That's about it (I think). I just thought I'd share that with you.

Share what happened at the worst gig you've done.
sup?
That sucks, i broke three strings in one performance. It was a new set too.

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Quote by blue_bogan

how hard do you play??
sup?
Good lord man. At least your gear didn't catch on fire like one of my gigs. Either way no worries. Best part is it was only one night.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
That sucks

My worst happened when I got to a gig and realised that we were playing out in the middle of a high school gym, 30 feet from the crowd, which was mostly 30something soccer moms. Our singer was using the gym's PA system and the rest of us were just using our amps...the echo was horrible. To make it worse, both cords I brought had shorts, so I had to ditch my pedal and borrow a cord from our guitarist.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by ldl67
- String broke, had no extras with me. (I picked up someone else's guitar, but I wasn't used to it, so I couldn't play as well)
- This all distracted me, and i made quite a few mistakes, and forgot lyrics/song order.

These have all happened to me at one point or another. As for the bassist, my band never had one. We had a keyboardist whose piano parts filled out the bottom end enough to replace one. And he only ever showed up to one concert.

This actually happened to me at one of our BEST gigs. Luckily, it was on a part where I wasn't playing anything that was incredibly important to a song.

The worst thing that ever happened to us at a gig was having our drummer's kit practically fall apart on him mid-song. He was pretty much molesting the snare drum just to keep it in place.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Woah.
At my worst gig, the drums and rythm guitar were too loud, therefore causing my solo to be unhearable.
bad pa system,
every gig is a bad one.
but man all of that in one night? good job for sticking through the gig , i couldnt have taken all of that.
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Quote by ldl67
how hard do you play??

OH man words cant describe how hard i rock. lol. Nah it was like 38 degrees and we were outside so i think the heat made them weak

EDIT: That is 100 fahrenheit

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Last edited by blue_bogan at Apr 20, 2008,
man that sounds pretty bad

my worst gig..

we were all told not to bring any amps with us because there would some supplied for us, we got there and we had to plug straight into the mixer...so my set up was.. guitar > ds-1> mixer...which sucked, sounded horrible...for some reason the rythm guitarrist sound was WAY louder than mine...so the solos like on hotel california were almost unhearable..our singer ****ed up so much..oh yeah and completely DEAD audience

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
sorry to hear that, become prepared for the unexpected.

last summer i remember when i tried to do a guitar flip, since the atmosphere of the crowd was intense so why not? when the guitar neck came back around it hit my top left shoulder, it hurt like hell but thankfully no one noticed. the worst part was probally that it was extremely hot.

The same night I broke a string and my guitar had a floating bridge, but i didnt give a sh** and kept playing except i replaced all the notes on my high e with the b.
Last edited by Insicion at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by ldl67

- I had a battery in my pocket, and it was shorting out on some coins, and getting really hot. I threw it on the ground after the first song because it was burning my leg.
- Transformer (power chord) for a pedal had a bad connection, and cut out in the middle of a song.

I feel your pain dude..last night we played a wedding

-drummer got flu but he came because we had no replacement
-singer got date wrong and came late
-got lost and couldnt find the venue
-we called the couple for their dance and they werent there-called them 4 times
-room was huge and had no damping so we had to crank the speakers which constantly fed back and couldnt hear monitors
-made so many mistakes because of this
-guitar stopped working..pickups or something must be faulty
-the venues bar ran out of alcohol so everyone was sober and no one spoke through the gig..we had 2 people clap us slowly after every song
-keys player started a song in wrong key and we had to stop half way through (terrible)
-crowd asked for every song request we didnt do!
-drunken people wanted to do kareoke and said they had to do it because we were so bad so we had to wait for 30 mins til they finished..then they did it without mics
-got lost on way back as gps had an error
-nearly got impaled in car back as had to stop quick (amp smashed into me)

..but, we did get $2000 between us
Last edited by Ar8eit3r at Apr 21, 2008,
Eh, my worst gig:
-Played in front of 6 people
-Only band to show up on time
-We had arranged with another band to share equipment, so we didn't have all our stuff
-That band didn't show up so we had to go to a music store and rent some equipment
-Playing outside and because of some retarded noise law or something we couldn't turn our amps up so we could pretty much talk over our amps
-The place we played at had one mic for us and no monitors.
-Couldn't hear anything but our drums meaning our drummer couldn't hear us so therefore he had to quit playing about twice every song to find out wehre we were.
-Silent crowd after every song
-Person hosting the show still told us good job afterwards....

Oh yes and the singer and i had met some girls at the hotel we were staying at for work a few days earlier and told them to come and watch us...they showed up for 2 songs and then left. Worst part was...singer and I had to go back and meet our work crew at the hotel that night and those girls were there
Last edited by Vos at Apr 21, 2008,
No one showed up to one of my gigs except for like 6 or so people, but it didn't matter much I loved playing anyway it was just like a chill practice that people were listening too. We just jammed the whole time it was chill.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
mine is pretty much garden variety terrible gigs.

sick singer.
drum problem.
bad pa.
no crowd.
smoking in the bar (new york state smoking ban rocks)
you know normal stuff. everybody's played 'em

my least favorite part is your hired to play from 10-2. and its like 11:30 and your bored. dont even have any enthusiasm anymore.
I seriously hope my first gig doesn't go like that.
I'm scared now, feedback sounds horrible
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
That sucks, BUT...it's only one gig

Worst gig I was in was last weekend, where the soundtechnicians were completely retarded. They said the lead guitar(my mate) was too loud, even though noone could hear anything on stage. And when, finally, we thought we could play the guitarist starts off with this concert-intro thing...and the techicians interrupt him in the middle of it saying he should turn it down :S

And because nobody could hear anyone we really lost it on stage. Our Master of Puppets cover went to oblivion when the rythmguitar got in with the verse riff in the middle of the solo, and the drummer lost himself completely. I, bassist, couldn't hear the rythm or leadguitar and I bet I screwed up aswell.

But, it's still only one gig and it's a valueable experience.
Quote by leephan
noob question: What is a monitor?

speakers being aimed back at the band so they can hear what is going out on the PA
Quote by mustaineNslash
i know this sounds stupid but...
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

This was a recital thing, my first recital, I still sucked at guitar, but I played anyway.

Anyway, the amp's distortion broke, so EVERY mistake I made could be heard.
The idiot guitar technician took out my special tuning (DADGAD), because he obviously didn't know it, so Kashmir was HORRIBLE sounding.

For my second recital: I had to sing. Period.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
it was my very first gig, played 2 songs, first one went well but the second was a nightmare: the intro went well the verse went well but then came the chorus. the drummer kept drumming the vers and we were all confused . then the seconds time from verse to chorus he did it again. like he had tunnel vision or summin. we we're mad as hell but didnt tell him cus he would likely cry or summin.
Quote by PlayMadness

Isn't it a little big-headed to name yourself "God," TS?

no.

Quote by Simsimius
I love you TS.

Quote by Ganoosh

Any thread with that title is sure to deliver, and this one...well...it did.
sounds like ur really **** n tryin to make excuses for ur ****tiness, but that jst my opinion lol
My worst gig:

-I don't have an electric yet, so I borrowed our singer's guitar; needless to say it sucked.
-The stage amp's were so freaking bad that the distortion sounds like two cans hitting each other
- I messed up on my lead part

Sad. But at least I learned from that experience. To TS: you'll get over it too, bruh.
Quote by TheClincher
I give you the lolslope
---
--------
--------------
---------------------

Quote by Trowzaa

I love you.

Quote by bowdyyz69
sounds like ur really **** n tryin to make excuses for ur ****tiness, but that jst my opinion lol

I really don't appreciate comments like that. I wouldn't be pissed off if I wasn't able to play the songs well, but since I have the ability to play the songs quite well, I do get pissed off if everything goes wrong causing me not to play as well..
sup?
worst thats happened to me is that i snapped my high E string just before the solo of the song... -.- had to improvise the goddamn thing..
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by blue_bogan

Well when they are new you gotta wear them in a bit if you get me, just play gentle stuff. Some people just go down the strings giving them gentle tugs, often pushing frets down as they do it. I learn't that way as well, new set of strings and start playing Metallica which uses open low E a lot, it snapped at the saddles Luckily it happened at home.
holy shat dude...that really sucks.

at a jazz competition, right before my solo, on this huge chord i was supposed to slam, my D string broke, which is the string i MOST needed for the solo...gahhhhh. so i just improviseded a bunch of stuff and actually ended up doing a two-handed tapping thing for the end that didn't sound half bad. and we won the competion, so it must've been good.

EDIT:
Quote by bowdyyz69

with spelling like that, your opinion is debunk in my opinion. grow up and learn to type full words.

and i'm pretty sure he can play well, check out his profile...
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Last edited by Kid Fisto at Apr 21, 2008,
What a shame. It's always sad when things go wrong during a gig.

I remember in my old band, I played keyboards, and the keyboard amp decided to turn itself on a really low volume for most of the gig. Wierd, because when we practised the next day, it was working fine
Quote by ldl67

youre name isnt Frank Spencer is it?
I got a gig tomorrow (Gonna be pretty packed 50 -100 esimated in a room now bigger than a normal school changing room)

I think we'll be alright, borrowing amps and PA. Singer almost lost his voice last night at practice and is trying to save it. Apart from that i think we'll be alright.

Worst gig i played was when the sound levels and PA sucked. No-one could hear the singer, the drums drowned everything out and the guitarist put way too much gain on his guitar, leading to just a wall of noise.

Quote by davedoom
youre name isnt Frank Spencer is it?

no... Is that a joke? If it is, I don't understand.
sup?
i did a favor for a frind of mine when i was at a show and they needed to kill time...i guess that one of the bands was late and peopel were leaving so he got me to play so i played about the only acoustic song i knew at the moment on a barrowed guitar that had no pick ups in it so i mic-ed it and had no monitors, for some reason they turned them off, so i couldnt hear how the vocals went..eh it was fun made an extra 50 bucks
Quote by Steve The Plank
Maybe you should just eliminate the idea of being a LEAD guitarist or a RHYTHM guitarist and just come to terms with being a guitarist.

Quote by Mike Huber
I used to steal legos from my friend. He always had the coolest pieces.
Quote by marshmellow666
everyone died

dude wtf
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
Page 1 of 3