So whenever I plug anything into my gain channel on my amp theres this horrible fuzz sound with the occasional high-pitched squeal. It doesn't respond at all to anything I do on the guitar and I've tried with a couple of different ones. It's just an out of control noise machine. My amp is a Carvin SX200 and the clean channel works perfectly fine. I'm wondering if anyone knows what could be wrong with it and if I have to take it in or just tighten some screws or resolder something. Thanks, guys.
have you tried any different cables?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
If it one of those amps where the clean channel and the gain channel has their own seperate inputs? (Like the Mesa Mark I).

If so the input on the gain channel might be loose and have a bad / no connection. If thats the case its as easy as taking out the input and re-soldering the wires.

If both the channels lie on the same input (Like most modern amps) then your going to need to take it into a tech. Solid State amps are extremely hard to fix in most cases. You'll probably end up paying a crap load to get it fixed.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by mdawg24
Did you bust a tube?
or is it Solid State?

It's solid state.

Quote by .arkness:.
If it one of those amps where the clean channel and the gain channel has their own seperate inputs? (Like the Mesa Mark I).

If so the input on the gain channel might be loose and have a bad / no connection. If thats the case its as easy as taking out the input and re-soldering the wires.

If both the channels lie on the same input (Like most modern amps) then your going to need to take it into a tech. Solid State amps are extremely hard to fix in most cases. You'll probably end up paying a crap load to get it fixed.

Well its actually kind of different, there's one input which allows you to use either the clean or gain channel through the use of a switch, and the other input is exclusively for the clean channel. Though, nothing at all works on the first input, so that may be the case. And if it does end up needing substantial repair beyond that, I'll probably just buy a new amp. Thanks a lot for the advice.
Sounds like the first input has a bad connection. find a way to get that out of the amp and check to see if the wires are connected right. If not, simply re-solder them so they are connected. If thats not the problem take it to a tech and get a quote. Then judge your options.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I had a similar problem with my amp but when I used a friends guitar on it, seemed to work fine,turns out my guitar had some wiring that had gone loose, so maybe if youve dropped the guitar maybe something in theres gone wrong, so try to ask your guitar store to check the insides...