I know it depends on the amp but is there better tones to be had cranking a 5w as opposed to putting a 100w at .05 or 1 on the dial? Talking like the Zvex 5w Amp not something cheap.

A side question..if you crank a 5w via a halfstack, do you generally get the same bass response as a 100w version (eg the blackheart) at low volume?
A pushed 5w tube amp will sound better than a barely running 100w.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah, five watt wins.
Originally posted by Capua47:

Oh well if your from austrailia then grades shudn't matter considering your just gonna grow up to be ol' stevie erwin eh?!

Gear:
Schecter Omen-6
Peavey Valveking 212
Metal Muff
Metal Zone
Jimi Hendrix Wah
Well, if you want distortion, then the 5W, but if you want a really clean sound, the 100W. The 100W won't sound as good as it would at, say, 10 or 12 o'clock though.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
There's no good answer to that question. Some 100w amps sound really good at lower volumes, some don't. Bigger amps tend to sound better just because of their larger transformers, headroom etc, but it really depends on what you like, and the amps involved. A five watt amp dimed is still pretty loud and you can get a 100w cooking pretty well at the same volume- not fully saturated, of course, but it's not like it's on .5 and barely on.
if the tube amp isn't working, it's not using it's potential. period.

5 watt wins.

i had to spend the first week of owning my 50 watt randall inside at practice volumes b/c it was wet outside. then i took it out and put it on halfway master volume. WOW. i had to lower the gain on both channels b/c the worked tubes give it that extra bit of overdrive. it was HEAVENLY. and that wasn't even fully working! when it's crankeddddd it's SEX.

this is why i'm picking up that 5 watt blackheart, it'll be easy to crank that and get great saturated tone out of. and whenever i feel like having a full on metal jam session, i'll bring out the Randall!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
if the tube amp isn't working, it's not using it's potential. period.

5 watt wins.

i had to spend the first week of owning my 50 watt randall inside at practice volumes b/c it was wet outside. then i took it out and put it on halfway master volume. WOW. i had to lower the gain on both channels b/c the worked tubes give it that extra bit of overdrive. it was HEAVENLY. and that wasn't even fully working! when it's crankeddddd it's SEX.

this is why i'm picking up that 5 watt blackheart, it'll be easy to crank that and get great saturated tone out of. and whenever i feel like having a full on metal jam session, i'll bring out the Randall!!!

Ahh you. More RM50 love hey?
If you ask me, I'd prefer the 100watt tube amp. With a Attenuator.
Quote by Roc8995
There's no good answer to that question. Some 100w amps sound really good at lower volumes, some don't. Bigger amps tend to sound better just because of their larger transformers, headroom etc, but it really depends on what you like, and the amps involved. A five watt amp dimed is still pretty loud and you can get a 100w cooking pretty well at the same volume- not fully saturated, of course, but it's not like it's on .5 and barely on.

Also if you want preamp distortion only, like a lot of metal bands, the 5 watter won't cut it. It also depends on what speaker the 5 watter is driving, like if it's a small combo, like a lot of them are and driving a really small speaker, it's going to sound boxy and stuff.

Also the Z Vex is 1 watt, if you mean the Nano.

For me though I dunno what I would take.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009