Well there's a number of things...

1. Make sure you know the basics.
2. Learn a few songs a lot of people know.
3. Have confidence!

...can't really think of anything else at the moment.
Are you kidding me?

That is an extrememly vague and open ended question. Did you just join or something?

------------------------------

Ah, you did. Well, welcome to UG.

Anyways, make sure you know what you want out of the band.

Ask yourself, "Why do I want to be in a band?"

Maybe you'll come to the conclusion that you just love music and you want to formally make some in a structured group; or maybe you want chicks.

Either way, I'd say it is very important for the guitar player to be able to communicate ideas vocally and musically. So, having at least a minimal amount of music theory is helpful. But basically it doesn't matter what you know before hand. The band grows together and you will all eventually get to the point where you function and can create music that you think is worthy to share. Whether it means sharing it with a few people around you, or jamming out at a club.

The most important thing is that you make a band to have fun, cause in the end, that's what it's all about and in the end that is usually the only thing you can accomplish.
Last edited by i bleed metal at Apr 21, 2008,
how to play is always a helpful
Last edited by pain-killer at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by Blash
Irrelevant much?

Gonzo6SGrocks is right (excluding #2 on that list, that's not vital), thats basically it.
Also, be open-minded, that's pretty important.

Calm down, I added more.
Well blah I dont know how to explain it. I know how to play guitar pretty good actually. I guess what Im trying to ask is what should I know to make me better working with the other band members. I have problems with some things. Im not sure about writing solo's at all, improvising. Those sorts of things I guess is what Im trying to say. I know I could probably found this all somewhere on these forums but I didnt really have much time to look.
I find it really helpful if everybody knows a fair bit of music theory. For example: your bassplayer found a new riff. If you have a bit of theory knowledge, it won't be hard to find in what key he/she is playing so you can make a riff or a solo based on the bassist's riff.

This is expecially the case when you have to make solos, it is very easy to make (simple) solos if you know your keys, scales, progressions, ...

Also, try to play as much as possible together. The more you play together, the more you will be able to rely on each other. You will know when the leadguitarist will end his solo, even if he is improvising.

But it all comes down to what "I bleed metal" said: have fun. If you enjoy playing together, good stuff will be created.
Last edited by Red Fungus at Apr 21, 2008,
what kind of band it is makes a huge difference
Some People Put Something Smart Wise and Funny Here
Those People Can @#$% themselves
You definitely have to be able to work as a team, and not try to steal the spotlight 90% of the time.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Black Star
You definitely have to be able to work as a team,

That's probably the most important thing. It doesn't matter how good a musician anyone is, (but it helps if everyone in the band are on a fairly similar level skills wise) but it's the ability to get along with everyone else in the band that counts the most. So a wise head during confrontations (which happens to some degree in every band) and probably thick skin will be your greatest asset.
Even if every member of the band is a complete beginner, just being in a band and striving to gell together and make a productive sound will eventualy improve anyone's musical ability, as long as they are willing to stick with it long enough.
Having decent organisational skills can also be a great advantage.

As for improvising solos, try putting on a recording at home and improvising solos along to it all the way through to the end. Do this over and over again with lot's of different recordings and you'll soon discover what works and what doesn't.
Just that act of doing it makes you better at it.