Hello People

Here are the specs for the Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mohagany (899$) at guitar center:

* Carved mahogany top and mahogany back
* '59 rounded Les Paul mahogany neck
* Rosewood fingerboard
* Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar
* Chrome hardware
* Alnico V BurstBucker Pro pickups
* 2 volume and 2 tone knobs, 3-way switch

Here are the specs of Gibson Les Paul Standard (2,299$) at guitar center:

# Mahogany body and fat '50s neck
# Carved Maple top
# Rosewood fretboard
# Alnico V Standard humbucker pickups
# Green keystone tuners
# Top and fretboard binding

I was wondering is there a difference between them other than 1400$?
Because I want to buy a Les Paul and can't really figure it out. They should sound the same. Do I want to pay an extra 1400$ just for a better sanded more shiny guitar?
Basically, the Vintage Mahogany lacks a maple top, which means it may sound somewhat darker, it has a different finish (or no finish at all?), no binding, different pickups (not sure which has better pickups, but no doubt the Standard), I believe the Vintage has different inlays, but I'd need to check, and, well, with Gibson, as you will learn in your future time spent here, anything below a Les Paul Classic should be avoided like the plague, because including the aforementioned differences, the guitar itself is made of lower quality materials, from the metal parts to the wood, and everything in between.

Epiphone Elitist is the way to go unless you can get a Classic/Standard or beyond.

EDIT: Here are some Epiphone Elitists (which are Made In Japan by the way): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=epiphone+elitist&st=

That's the way to go for a "true" $1000 Les Paul, however you can also check out the ESP (MIJ) Eclipse series and the ESP/LTD (MIK I believe) EC series.
Last edited by Habit Zero at Apr 21, 2008,
Why would I buy an Epiphone Elitist for 1099$ if I can get a Gibson Les Paul Studio for 1199$
In my biased opinion, LP standard fadeds are also worth your attention.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Yeah check out the Standard Fadeds. They're discontinued. Its basically a standard without gloss. I have one and its incredible.
Gibson.
The vintage has the better pickups; burstbucker pro humbucking pickups, and its cheaper. It has no finish, just stain, and its beautiful. Its darker than the online pics though. I have one and i love it. I liked it more than the Slash signature Les Paul line guitars, and i tried all 3.
In my opinion, Les Pauls are a bitch to play unless they have a 60's profile neck.
Go do some research, play a lot of them, find one you like, then go into debt for the next ever while you pay it off.
Thats your best bet.

Ever think of buying a 1980's les paul deluxe, you can pick them up for between 1.5-2k. (if you get an early enough one it just might be Kalamazoo, a kalamazoo lp will eat any new guitar gibson usa puts out in my opinion.)

Good luck, Hope you find a killer
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
I had a Les Paul Vintage Mohagany once, and it smelt like cat pee, and I don't have a cat, so I sold it....
epi elitist is better because they are cheaper and better quality.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
The vintage mahogany is terrible, without doubt worse than an Epi Standard. Inferior wood, bad electronics and all that ****. Don't ever buy it! The don't sound the same, not even close, they just want you to believe that it's almost as good as the Standard, and with a $1400 difference? You have to think yourself!

If you want a Les Paul in that pricerange, the Studio (not Fadeds they're not good, except for the Standard Faded) can be a good choice, but if you don't know much about guitars, you may get a bad one. And there are many bad ones, I've tried a couple, and only one felt ok, but still worse than my Epi.

The Epiphone Elitists beats all low end Gibson. So that is a very good choice. Other than that I would advice you to check out Hagström Swedes, built in China now, but still better than Gibson Studios and below and only about $600.

The biggest mistake you can do when buying a guitar is to buy a Gibson just because you think it's the best because it's a Gibson. That was maybe true a long time ago, but not now.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
my buddy has the 899 dollar mahogany Studio. It's awesome in my opinion, it sounds great and feels great to play. If you wanted the sound of the Standard you could always swap the pick ups, I'd probably cost about $200 to buy them on ebay. If you're a guy on a budget, I think the Studio is a great way to go
Quote by junglej25
my buddy has the 899 dollar mahogany Studio. It's awesome in my opinion, it sounds great and feels great to play. If you wanted the sound of the Standard you could always swap the pick ups, I'd probably cost about $200 to buy them on ebay. If you're a guy on a budget, I think the Studio is a great way to go

Not when there are som much better guitars out there. The Studio (and all Gibson) is overpriced, you will get more value for the money with a other brand.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
i actually have a standard epiphone series, an elitist, and a gibson, all les pauls, between the elitist and the gibson, build wise, they seem the same to me, quality wise, the gibson does really feel great in the hands, but the gibson is lighter (but thats just cause i have the swamp ash model) sound wise (which is what most people should be going for) they are very similar only slight differences depending on what i tune the guitar too. all in all just try a bunch of guitars, though they are the same model, guitars differ from each other, just try a bunch
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White) (retired)
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash studio
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Burst)

Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
Urgh, why can nobody get this into their heads.

WHEN YOU PAY HALF THE PRICE, YOU'RE GETTING HALF THE QUALITY, IF NOT LESS.

There is a reason why those cheap Gibsons are so cheap; because they're utterly ****.

If you're hell-bent on getting a Gibson but can't get at least a Standard, then don't bother at all. Getting any less than a Standard and all you're doing is pissing your money away.

Much, much better options, so long as you're happy to not have 'Gibson' on the headstock, would be:
- Epiphone Elitist series. These are, from a sheer technical point of view, superior to production (non-Custom Shop) Gibsons in every single way. They may also be cheaper, depending on where you live (or in some countries, they cost more than the Gibsons; if so, bad luck, though the quality increase makes the price rise worth it)
- ESP Eclipse or high-end LTD (400 series and higher). Easily matches Gibson for quality. The only problems are, like the Epi Elitist, they can actually cost more in some countries. They're also more orientated for metal, so if for example you play blues, then they won't be so suitable for you. But never fear, because there's always...
- Vintage. Their lower-end models aren't worth bothering with, but their top model LP copy is basically on-par with a Gibson LP Standard. The downsides are their stock pickups are pretty poor (but then again, so are all of Gibson's stock pickups), and Vintage guitars are more orientated towards blues, so if you play metal, they won't be much sue to you (but then you can just go to ESP!). Vintage are also hard to get hold of outside of the UK (though many countries should be able to import them).
- Tokai. This is probably the best all-round copy you can get aside from the Epi Elitist range. Very close to a Gibson LP Standard, good all-round guitar. The only downside I find with Tokais is that they're a bit dull; ESP has the metal edge, Vintage has the blues and jazz edge, Epi Elitists have the true shape and look... in comparison, Tokai can feel pretty generic.

Then, there's also Michael Kelly guitars and Agile guitars. Some people here have a huge hard-on for those two brands, but personally whenever I've played one they've always seemed to be utter turd, But hey, try them for yourself, you might like them.

Basically though, the general rule is: if it's cheap, there's a reason for it. Buying cheap now just means you're wasting your money on an inferior guitar that you'll have to replace sooner anyway. Buy quality now, then you'll have a good guitar for life - and in the long run, it ends up costing you less.
Best bet is to get an r8, r9, r0 Les Paul. They are from the custom shop and they are only a few hundred more than a Standard.

The guy preachin about Standards and Classics is way off. Almost all(maybe all)new non custom shop LP's are chambered. Gibson's claim are way off. They can't compete with a real solid body LP.
ive also looked into those choices, it cost more because of maple top, glossy finish and the green keystone tuners, they should sound the same tho, i'd go with the vintage mahogony lp
Quote by ikravchik
Why would I buy an Epiphone Elitist for 1099$ if I can get a Gibson Les Paul Studio for 1199$

The Gibson LP Studio isn't too popular in this forum ... all the regurgitated "stuff" about the quality, etc.; however, if you audition them thoroughly, through an amp that you already have or plan to buy, and you like it, remember that Guitar Center holds lots of sales events.

During major holiday sales events, you can get one new for $800. GC had them at that price at the last Memorial Day Sale. I don't need another LP but the Studios I've played have been awesome. No frills, yea, but pretty solid and nice workingman's finish.

Good Luck!