So I was watching this NBC presentation today, and I guess it's earth week or something. They were in this South American country I believe (I forgot which one, sorry, lol), where giant glaciers had virtually dissapeared and have put the lives of locals in jeapordy. Anyway, they mentioned that political leaders in countries such as that are threatening to sue large industrial countries for damages done by climate change.

I'm sorry I don't have an actual source to present to you about this, but it can still be an interesting point to discuss. I personally think, that although some countries obviously have contributed more than others, that everyone's at fault in some way. Because of that, I really don't think any country has the right to sue another because of this. Anyone else have some thoughts?
thats good, they should. its our fault, we should be to blame.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by nirvana001
The U.S. is just going to LOL at them.

Yeah for real. How do you sue an entire country anyway?
It won't stand up in court.

But if such a ruling was ever made it would probably be a good thing. Make industrial countries force corporations into environmental protection.
Quote by freedoms_stain
It won't stand up in court.

But if such a ruling was ever made it would probably be a good thing. Make industrial countries force corporations into environmental protection.

Yeah make industrial nations force corporations out of business so we can all be third world countries and have no jobs!!
Quote by nirvana001

The pollution in the US is bad although not near as bad as a lot of countries. I think that right now the top spot on everyones global warning ****list is probably China.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
The pollution in the US is bad although not near as bad as a lot of countries. I think that right now the top spot on everyones global warning ****list is probably China.

Yeah, we're like number 2nd on the list I think. We're making changes for sure though. But really it's not something that can happen overnight, or even in a decade.
Quote by Ir8sob
Yeah make industrial nations force corporations out of business so we can all be third world countries and have no jobs!!

On the contrary. It would take a lot more people to run eco friendly companies. If anything it would open a ****load of jobs.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Ir8sob

No, force corporations to spend a small percentage of their ridiculous profit margins on not destroying the environment.

Oh my god! investing in the future prosperity of the company to the detriment of making maximised profit now! how foolish!

Corporations pillage finite resources to produce their goods. Might be a good idea to start replacing those before they run out and there's nothing to make bobble head novelties out of.
Quote by freedoms_stain
No, force corporations to spend a small percentage of their ridiculous profit margins on not destroying the environment.

As much as I agree with the notion of sustainable development, the US and UK have done quite a dandy bitr of cutting down. I remember reading somewhere that if the UK and China, India, Brazil or Malaysia spent the same amount of money on cutting down emissions, we would only cut ours down by less than 1%, but the others by as much as 40% because they don't have the "basic" technology and practices in place.

And if these countries do sue, they had better sue the US, Indonesia, Japan, China, India, Brazil and Germany first, because they all produce more than the UK.
Quote by soul_power

on the top of about every sh*t list is china.
Quote by H4t3BR33D3R
fourteen?
For Christ sake she probably couldn't get to the center of a Tootsie Pop let alone suck your **** properly. Just get someone your own age you tosser.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
As much as I agree with the notion of sustainable development, the US and UK have done quite a dandy bitr of cutting down. I remember reading somewhere that if the UK and China, India, Brazil or Malaysia spent the same amount of money on cutting down emissions, we would only cut ours down by less than 1%, but the others by as much as 40% because they don't have the "basic" technology and practices in place.

And if these countries do sue, they had better sue the US, Indonesia, Japan, China, India, Brazil and Germany first, because they all produce more than the UK.
is that just CO2 emissions or all the harmful crap not related to global warming?

I'd like to see a complete overhaul of environmental policy that made companies more responsible for their waste products and byproducts. Drive the technological development of clean processes.
Quote by freedoms_stain
is that just CO2 emissions or all the harmful crap not related to global warming?

I'd like to see a complete overhaul of environmental policy that made companies more responsible for their waste products and byproducts. Drive the technological development of clean processes.

Yeah, that's C02 emissions, shoulda specified.
That's hilarious. As if that would ever make it past anything in a courthouse.
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by Spamwise

judge judy!
Quote by cowboy4x4
judge judy!

She'd just side with whatever country had the most women anyway.
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by Spamwise

Uhhh...I don't know, maybe you sue their government?
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by nirvana001

Yeah. We'd just step all over them like assholes.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
No, you cannot sue a country only its political head (or other individuals)... and since (legally) we cannot blame Bush for this, or the next president, whatever country this is will simply have to suffer.

Like the rest of the world.

You can only certain circumstances, to which this does not meet.

They can sue corporations though, why not do that.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Last edited by hethamulburton at Apr 21, 2008,
They can sue corporations though, why not do that.

Well, wouldn't they have to directly link the corproations to their climate problems? I don't see how that's possible.
Quote by Spamwise
Well, wouldn't they have to directly link the corproations to their climate problems? I don't see how that's possible.
If they can prove crap pumped out by those corporations adversely affected the environment of their country, why not?
Quote by denizenz
We should settle the suit and then stop paying them/giving them aid/trading with them.

Ignorant pieces of shit.
You probably need their products more than they need yours. They'll just sell to another western country.
Quote by denizenz
Ignorant pieces of shit.

irony.
Quote by freedoms_stain
You probably need their products more than they need yours. They'll just sell to another western country.

I don't think we're getting much from Venezuela, and it's not like wealthy western countries are just laying around and lining up to establish trade routes...this isn't the fucking revolution.

Quote by Zugunruhe

irony.

I'm going to assume you're laughing at me and not with me...though I don't know why.

Quote by denizenz
I don't think we're getting much from Venezuela, and it's not like wealthy western countries are just laying around and lining up to establish trade routes...this isn't the fucking revolution.
I don't know enough about Venezuelan economics (or any other South American economics) to comment, and by the sound of it, neither do you.
Quote by freedoms_stain
I don't know enough about Venezuelan economics (or any other South American economics) to comment, and by the sound of it, neither do you.

I don't, I was being sarcastic. It's a ridiculous notion nonetheless. We should sue them for malaria, and we should sue Africa for AIDs. How about that, better?
Quote by denizenz
I'm going to assume you're laughing at me and not with me...though I don't know why.

you just characterized everyone in third world countries as "ignorant pieces of ****." emphasis on the ignorant. thats what you were being... get it?

and we get a large ammount of oil from venezuella.
Quote by denizenz
I don't, I was being sarcastic. It's a ridiculous notion nonetheless. We should sue them for malaria, and we should sue Africa for AIDs. How about that, better?
You want to sue a nation over a virus? Think you better sue God there. Intelligent design and all that

Pollution on the other hand is entirely man made.
Quote by Zugunruhe
you just characterized everyone in third world countries as "ignorant pieces of ****." emphasis on the ignorant. thats what you were being... get it?

and we get a large ammount of oil from venezuella.

If everyone in the nation proposed and then drafted the suit, I'd be very surprised...

We should be getting large amounts of oil from the U.S. government's privately owned properties off of our oceanic coasts, but liberal activist groups would come out of the woodwork and threaten to withdraw funding or some BS.

We have billions and billions of barrels of oil on our own property that we've made unaccessible for political reasons.

Not on topic, but hey, I'll hijack another thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
You want to sue a nation over a virus? Think you better sue God there. Intelligent design and all that

If they are really concerned about the pollution, why sue? It's not like the material gain will compensate you or do you any good when the Earth is underwater, or whatever they say is going to happen this week.
Quote by freedoms_stain

actually, most pollution comes from plants and animals.

Granted, man raised and breeded them, but oh well.
Quote by soul_power

Per person, the USA is the worlds worst polluter
Quote by denizenz
If they are really concerned about the pollution, why sue? It's not like the material gain will compensate you or do you any good when the Earth is underwater, or whatever they say is going to happen this week.
Force them to fix their shit. If they're going to get sued by every developing country for fouling their environment they won't continue their unsafe practices or they'll have so many suits to settle they'll go under.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Force them to fix their shit. If they're going to get sued by every developing country for fouling their environment they won't continue their unsafe practices or they'll have so many suits to settle they'll go under.

Our government is $9.3 trillion in debt...sue away assholes.
Quote by denizenz
Our government is $9.3 trillion in debt...sue away assholes.
I was under the impression we'd moved on to suing corporations themselves.

In either case, no matter how deep your debt, the international banks will always lend you more with a grin on their faces.