Hey guys ive been playin for a little while now, and i just cant tremolo pick right. i can do it but very slowly. any suggestions, tips, tricks, practice methods would be great. thanks yall
i got playing downstroke riffs fairly easily, its going back and forth ( upstroke/downstroke) that i cant quite get
I'd say that it doesn't really make a difference what guitar you play on. Try to keep your pick perpendicular to the strings so that it basically rolls over the string. It's going to take a bit of practicing. One of the easier songs to learn to practice the technique is "Knights of Cydonia" by Muse.
Choke up on the pick, and make short, even strokes.
Other than that, practice.
Stay releaxed as possible, even strokes and work it slowly, you can't expect to play it fast striaght away build it up slowly then you'l' get it! Good luck!

Tomo
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Quote by airliner

rest your pinky ring finger and middle finger on the pickgaurd so they hold your hand in perfect position, and hold your pick at the very edge so that when you pick, the pick barely touches the string (wich minimizes friction). move your wrist (or whole arm) rapidly back and forth so that your pinky ring and middle finger slide on the pickgaurd. Whenever i tremolo pick, my body goes into a weird sorta mode were my whole back and shoulders become stiff for extra control and my freinds have also told me that my mouth moves randomly while i do so so that it looks like im talking to my guitar, lol.

Horrible advice. What you are advocating may seem like a good idea at first, but getting that tense and stiff doesn't do much for you other than limit both your speed and control. Gotta learn proper wrist-picking technique where your whole body stays loose and relaxed. Only then will you ever be able to reach your true potential.
So just work at it and ill finally get it huh... well a good thing is that my acoustic has nylon strings on it so i guess thats a plus. My Jackson has EB slinky 9-42
Use the metronome, play tremolo with alternate picking, beginning from slow tempo to fast tempo.
ok i finally getting it slowly i ws wondering if my pick choice makes a difference i use Fender mediums picks.
I prefer Fender heavy's or Stubbys. You get better control if all the movement is due to the flexing in your fingers than in the pick. And stubby's are the dogs b*****ks for pinch harms, yeah!

To be honest, the best person to talk to about tremolo picking is John Petrucci lol!!
Last edited by mdc at Apr 28, 2008,
One thing I find helps a lot with control is "galloping". such as in "rain" by trivium. If you can do that then tremolo picking is easy.
Do some exercises using only upstrokes. Then repeat them with downstrokes. Repeat them with upstrokes. Then do it again alt picking them. Make this part of your standard practice routine.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
just keep the rhythm steady, even if it isn't fast at first. Once you get a consistent tempo, begin speeding it up further. Eventually, your hand will get used to it and it will become a breeze to perform. Just keep thinking of it as a 1-2 manuever
Quote by troyponce
Do some exercises using only upstrokes. Then repeat them with downstrokes. Repeat them with upstrokes. Then do it again alt picking them. Make this part of your standard practice routine.

That's good advice and it works. Sometimes you have to separate and break down
a problem into smaller pieces in order to fix the larger problem. Some people are
magnitudes weaker on up-picking.

Another piece of advice: practice alternate picking by incorporating crossing strings
at the same time -- walking back and forth across pentatonic boxes are good for
that. Getting alternate picking up to speed by tremelo picking can lead to some
very bad habits. By only picking on 1 string, you'll be tempted to immobilize and
stiffen your hand in order to position over that 1 string and pick as fast as possible.
That might give you some problems with your picking in general.
Quote by mdc

To be honest, the best person to talk to about tremolo picking is John Petrucci lol!!

Hardly. Paul Gilbert is quite a bit more advanced in terms of alternate picking. And there are no doubt people better at picking than him, but he definitely comes to mind.