WOAH... long time since i've been on UG...

Well i have a problem/question:
So i have this beautiful geddy lee bass. I absolutely love the maple fretboard with the thick black inlays, but to be honest i didn't really like the look of the white on black pickguard. So last weekend i ordered :
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Jazz-Bass-3Ply-Pickguard-?sku=361303

It came in the mail Thursday and i was excitedly took off the old one and put the black one on and it is exactly the look that i was expecting.

but to closer inspection, i see that the screw holes don't match up exactly with the holes on the pickguard! !!!

so the question is...
can/should i fill in the old holes with would filler and drill new holes for this pickguard?
will it change the tone/sound of the bass?
don't risk it and just stay with the white pickguard?

ah so disappointing
what would have made my day ruined it

edit:
SCREW ME WHY ARN'T THE PICTURES WORKING

edit #2:
wow im such a newb why is one picture huge.
really sorry guys...
Last edited by xninja at Apr 21, 2008,
You might have to trim it a little or something to make it fit...or just wiggle it around a little. Take that one screw out and see if you can line the others up.
Nope, no sig here.
oh yeah that one screw is the only one that fits.
even if i take that off theres not much room to "wiggle it around" =/
I guess you already passed on the idea of no pickguard. Maybe try exchanging it for another one? Could be just that one, or that the Geddy Lee bass has slightly different hole positions. Seems like a lot of work redrilling and filling for a pickguard.
You could fill the holes with wood filler and drill new ones.

Edit: It will not change the sound but it will take some time. I had to do it on my guitar its not to hard though and it holds so i think thats the best option
My gear:
Epiphone Explorer
JB player strat
Spider II 30watt
Some knock off bass
Create bass amp 50 watt

www.myspace.com/ydayshero
It doesn't list yours as one of the ones it fits...

You could eBay that and get another from GF?
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
I guess you already passed on the idea of no pickguard. Maybe try exchanging it for another one? Could be just that one, or that the Geddy Lee bass has slightly different hole positions. Seems like a lot of work redrilling and filling for a pickguard.

i dont really care about the work.
last year i defretted a bass so using wood filler and screwing new holes isnt a big deal.
im just really worried that it might mess with the tone of the bass
Man this isn't even a thing. Do not worry about it. It cannot change the sound/ tone of your bass if you drill a few new tiny holes. And that is a TINY amount of filler. The tone of the bass will not be affected by that at all. There are a lot things that would require more filler on a bass.

You could just drill the new holes, that way you can swap pickguards with ease.
If that doesn't work for some reason (holes too close together, personal preference) go ahead and fill in the old ones. From the pics, it looks like you will need to.

This isn't an uncommon problem, as this particular pickguard fits '62 American Vintage, American Series, and American Standard Jazz Basses.

EDIT: I just saw the pics, that does look kickass.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at Apr 21, 2008,
without filling the holes it would be too risky to drill new ones touching the old ones.

it's the filler that i'm worried that it will change the sound. not the holes.
No it will not change the tone its to small to make a difference. try to match the wood filler with what your wood if your really worried about it but it will not affect it.
My gear:
Epiphone Explorer
JB player strat
Spider II 30watt
Some knock off bass
Create bass amp 50 watt

www.myspace.com/ydayshero
I got a direct fit black pick guard for my Geddy. No new holes, no grinding.
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/
Go to Fender after market, jazz bass, Geddy Lee.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE
Yea bro, you gotta suck it up and spring for the genuine Fender pick guard. That happened to me with an ebay special for like $20. I wouldn't touch that thing with a drill. On second thought, these guys hooked me up with a tortiseshell. Kinda pricey though. Good luck, I dig the black on black with that killer neck.
Last edited by Sly Taco at Apr 23, 2008,
thanks so much djflats!!!
yeah i decided i didn't want to drill holes

sly taco yeah i did get the fender pickguard just wasn't the right one

okay okay thanks again djflats!!!
Thats a nice bass, but the black inlays look a bit um, you know.. Well for me anyways. Dont go much on black inlays.. And it could be the lighting but, the fretboard looks nothing like maple..? I would have filled the holes and drilled new ones personally.
EDIT: Ahh my bad, the ultra close up did show till later for me so yes its maple. :P
hmmm hmmmm?
the back inlays are what?
not trying to start an argument. i haven't heard anything of people talking about the inlays.
maybe because i haven't been checking the forums recently...
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I think he was about to say the black inlays make the bass ****ING AWESOME. Just a guess.

Quite the oppisite
Just my opinion.
I'm not going to lie, the Grey on the black looks sick. The white trim on the pickguard, seals the deal.