TWO GUITARIST?

Do you have a band? Do you have two guitarist? Do you write your own songs? In any of your songs, with the exception of solos, do your two guitarist play different peices that sound great together.
If your two guitar peices DON't complement each other in the music something needs to be done, not only will you be able to get a better sound but you will able to get more different sounds, if that makes sense.
Now, I'm going to spare you the crap about octaves, chords, scales and the rest of those theory terms, because I am a self taught guitarist, never took a lesson in my life and I don't know **** about the theory of it all. Because from past experience I don't learn ANYTHING from lessons, all it seems to do is drain your wallet.
So don't worry, nothing technical here, just information you can actually use, and don't worry if you don't have a band, you can record yourself over yourself. (with programs like Audacity)

Now you might have tried this before and maybe it didn't work out that well, but I beg you not to give up, it's worth it. And if you do write nice peices for two guitars read on, I have some strategies of writing duel guitar peices. If you don't have a band, I encourage you to form one, though it's not easy. After all, I was in a band, we split, glad too. You've got to choose people you can cooperate with, and don't choose people you like, if they can't play for crap.
Anyway, this is about guitar peices, right? So.

HOW OFTEN DOE'S YOUR BAND PRACTICE?

How often do you and your band play? Because you need lots of hours to develop harmonious duel guitar peices. If you and your band do practice a lot, that's great. Get your other guitarist to play something over and over, and you try different peices until you find something that works.
This is one way of getting some nice duel pieces happening, if you don't have enough practice time for that then step 2 might help.

RECORDING OVER RECORDING

If you don't have enough time for step 1, this is my more preferred way. Get 'Audacity' or a similar multi-track program, you can probably get one off the internet. And get a microphone, plug it into your computer, play and record. Then you can loop what you recorded and play along until you have what you want.
This is what I do, but I must admit, setting this all up is a bit annoying.

OBSERVE

If everythings fine but your having trouble writing the peices and don't know where to start, observe the professionals. Listen to, learn and understand some duel peices from some of your favourite bands. Don't know any bands that have two guitarist, and use 'em? (I'm surprised)
My Chemical Romance, Offspring......
If your not inspired though, find and listen to "Can't Repeat".

Well, that's all, sorry if this article wasn't brief enough for you, reading isn't very entertaining. I hope this helps you and don't give up, it is hard but when two guitars work, it LEGENDARY!!!
*insert pear*

That was my first reaction for whatever reason.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
If I was reading that to learn something, I'd have stopped after you wrote "I don't know ****".

Pretty useless article as you started by rubbishing theory and guitar lessons then proceeded to give advice that basically boils down to "use trial and error to noodle around until you find something good"

Not particularly helpful.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Agreed with the rest.

Also, if you knew about theory it wouldn't take hours to get a good harmony.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
points for all the responses, except the pear one.

no wait, extra points for the pear one, cause i have no idea what that means.