There are other forums to discuss this on the net, but thought I'd bring it here too!

GG is not even that famous, but is regarded amongst his piers as probably the most versatile guitar player in the world. It really is a case of 'you name it he can do it'.

I really enjoy listening to this album and they're all amazing musicians.

Just for the record, my fav tracks are the jazz no. 'Wonderful Slippery Thing' and the fusionesque sounding 'Slidey Boy'. But to be honest, they're all awesome!!

Best player ever?! Definately up there with Satch, Vai, Gilbert, Tommy Emmanuel.
He is without doubt one of my favourtie players at the minute and technically one of the best in the world, I would say that any guitar player who hasn't heard his album should buy it now.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i like Waves and Rhode Island Shred the most, but the rest are amazing as well.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Just seen a couple of other threads on GG here. Doh!

Should try and come up with something original lol!
Guthrie Govan is an AMAZING guitarist. He's the one who got me really into that genre of music. He plays so clean and his solos are crazy as sh*t. Have you seen "Fives" live on Youtube? :O
Quote by Winterson
Guthrie Govan is an AMAZING guitarist. He's the one who got me really into that genre of music. He plays so clean and his solos are crazy as sh*t. Have you seen "Fives" live on Youtube? :O

Yeah seen loads of his vids. Someof the comments on there are hilarious! I like the Larry Carlton one.

nightraven who's your first most favourite player then? and don't say you (me) lol!
It's nice to see Guthrie is reaching a larger audience as well. He recently won best newcomer in a big american guitar magazine (can't remember which one).
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
he's in my opinion the quintessential modern guitar player, period.

saying that, I wasn't too into "Erotic Cakes", partly because there's was wayy to much blowing going on there, and I'm not too into that anymore. but I'd definitely want to catch him live.

blowing?
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
too much quintessential shred, but you have to admit that the opening shred line of waves was pretty gobsmacking.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Definitely one of the greatest guitar players I know. I was kind of disappointed with Erotic Cakes, however... I much prefer his stuff with The Fellowship.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
The fellowship are awesome, but guthrie still goes weedly weedly wee for large periods of time at his solo spot. I've seen them twice, some of the stuff is too 'heavy' jazz for me, but alot of their music has some serious grove. If you've never heard them axe, most of their songs are drums, guitar, bass, keyboards and sax with the main melody being played on the guitar and sax. Its very bebop in places

Quote by nightraven
carl verheyen

Firstly, good choice.

Secondly and on the subject of Goavan, well I get tired of him pretty quickly. I like a few songs on Erotic Cakes, but I don't think as good as most seems to think (same for most the big albums, POT, PAW, SWTA for some reason).

I think Guthrie has great tone (better when he was using the Hellcat primarily, but it's still good), and he definitely has some great lines, but for whatever reason I'm just not a huge fan.

Any Guthrie fans should check out Joel Hoekstra though, he's equally as amazing (and I like his material more).
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I wish he'd record an album with the Fellowship. I really liked Erotic Cakes, but I've listened it so much that it's starting to get a tad boring... As a guitarist I think he's way above Vai, Satch, Gilbert and the co.

About Hoekstra... I've never really gotten into his stuff; didn't like the songs on his MySpace a one bit. Maybe someone could upload some songs...?
Quote by public property
The fellowship are awesome, but guthrie still goes weedly weedly wee for large periods of time at his solo spot. I've seen them twice, some of the stuff is too 'heavy' jazz for me, but alot of their music has some serious grove. If you've never heard them axe, most of their songs are drums, guitar, bass, keyboards and sax with the main melody being played on the guitar and sax. Its very bebop in places

cool sounds like most of the modern jazz funk/fusion groups; but since it's got Guthrie in it, I'll check it out. do they jam out a lot and improvise when they play live?
Not so much, they stick to their basic song structure and only improvise in their designated solo zone.

Quote by public property
Not so much, they stick to their basic song structure and only improvise in their designated solo zone.

Depends on what tune. Most of their original tunes have less space for improv than the jazz standards they throw in there as well. Either way, they improv a lot, more than you make it seem like imo, pp.

Anyway, here are some tunes:

Doin' some Monk

Quote by Stratwizard
About Hoekstra... I've never really gotten into his stuff; didn't like the songs on his MySpace a one bit. Maybe someone could upload some songs...?

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Best vibrato - BB King
Best feel, AHAH.

God ****ing damnit.

Click.
Quote by public property

i agree i love the fellowship, but they are definatley too jazzy for me in places. i like my jazz don't get me wrong but some of this stuff is way out there. i prefer his solo work.
Quote by Stratwizard

That's pretty damn awesome but I didn't really like the fuzz tone on the Hendrix part; bit too much for me really.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I wasn't fond of the tone on anyone's part, I just found it interesting how well Guthrie was able to mimic each player. The last lick on Gilbert part is terrifying!