Safe assumption that we're all muso's, and muso's are generally not that financially well off. So with the extreme rises in the price of petrol, i was thinking it would be a good idea for someone who knows what they're talking about with cars to give us a bunch of tips for how to get the most out of a tank of petrol. I know I'm not the only one who pushes it too far when the petrol light comes on, so any tips for fuel economic ways of driving for us at UG would be sweet.
Get on top of my coffin woman.
change gear quicker, before an intersection put your foot of the gas about 200 m before it. don't accelerate very fast etc.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Make sure your oil is changed on time. Make sure your air filter is clean. Make sure your tires are balanced. Drive at a steady pace (don't floor it). Those are all good ones. Get a motorcycle is another great one! That'll double your efficiency!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Keep the tyres inflated to the proper pressure, don't use aircon or rev the engine, and change gear real early. Basically anything you want to do in a car, don't.
Epi Les Paul Standard plus
w/ Seymour Duncan Sh-2n in neck and SH-4 in bridge
Vox Valvetronix
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']TS, is your car manual or automatic ?

Automatics generally get a slight bit more thirsty.

Auto. The transmission on it is a bit dicky and i have to drive it like a manual though, without actually changing the gears myself.
High gears, low revs.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Just keep your drive smooth avoid having to break and accelerate hard. Keep your gear changes so that the car dosnt struggle to accelerate when you change up if your in a manual.
Take out any unnessacery weight. Make sure youre tires are the right pressure and my favourite get right behind 18 wheelers and stay in their clean air you need quick reactions though
Quote by Left_behind
Auto. The transmission on it is a bit dicky and i have to drive it like a manual though, without actually changing the gears myself.

How do you do that? just let go of the gas when it's about to shift?
just get into your highest gear asap, low revs as has already been mentioned.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by Bstar
get right behind 18 wheelers and stay in their clean air you need quick reactions though

haha and also reduces the chance of getting done by a speed camera.
Keep your windows shut, only use the sunroof if required, use the compression of the engine to reduce your speed rather than the brake, get into as higher gear as you can as quick as you can, make sure your tyres are at the correct pressure, make sure you don't run your fuel tank right down as that's worse for the engine
Quote by Sol9989
just get into your highest gear asap, low revs as has already been mentioned.

not always true tbh most cars you can do 30mph in 5th but the car has to struggle as it'll only be on 1000 or so revs whereas with 4th the engines under less stress and more efficent. also means less shifting which makes it even better
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']

How do you do that? just let go of the gas when it's about to shift?

haha yeah its great fun. If you accelerate through the gear changes it shoots up into 4000-5000 Rpm very quickly so i have to accelerate up then take my foot off the gas completely till it changes gear, which doesn't happens as quickly as it should more often than not. having said that, love my station wagon, she's an absolute trooper.
Neutral down hills!

free-wheeling is your friend
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
Quote by Fiddler
Neutral down hills!

free-wheeling is your friend

That's kinda dangerous. It'd be safer and more efficient to shift down and let the engine braking regulate the speed down the hill. That way you're still in control of acceleration and you don't have to use the brakes as much. Unless you're in an auto, slacker
Quote by Bstar
not always true tbh most cars you can do 30mph in 5th but the car has to struggle as it'll only be on 1000 or so revs whereas with 4th the engines under less stress and more efficent. also means less shifting which makes it even better

Unless you drive diesel in which rev lower than petrol engines...