hello!

ive been playing the guitar for about 5 and a 1/2 years and just recently started using the metronome (i know i waited waaaaaaay too long). anyway its giving me lots of troubles. i feel like i ahve to constantly focus on it to know if im in time. at 16th notes i have to know exaclty what fret im going to be fretting on the click otherwise i dont know if im in time. im taking it slow but its really kicking my ass. lol. especially if i play fast with it it starts just sounding like a background click and i cant focus on whether im in time or not. i try paying attention to it and that just throws me off more but i have to pay attention to it to know if im in time. x.x ive done lots of reading about it but nothing seems to help. any tips or advice would be greaaaaaatly appreciated
this is a pretty common issue,

first solution, don't start with 16th's, start playing whole notes, one per click, to get the feel for the timing, the proceed to halves, quarters etc...

And if you're against that idea, just start realllllly slow...e.g...<60bpm

Other than that, tap along with your foot, or accent the first note so you know where the click should be e.g ONE, two, three, four, ONE, two and so on...

Hope this helps
Try to listen like as a third person ,I mean listen your sound and metronome like you are listening to other person's playing with metronome
Recommend me any good post-hardcore band
Quote by Rii21212
hello!

ive been playing the guitar for about 5 and a 1/2 years and just recently started using the metronome (i know i waited waaaaaaay too long). anyway its giving me lots of troubles. i feel like i ahve to constantly focus on it to know if im in time. at 16th notes i have to know exaclty what fret im going to be fretting on the click otherwise i dont know if im in time. im taking it slow but its really kicking my ass. lol. especially if i play fast with it it starts just sounding like a background click and i cant focus on whether im in time or not. i try paying attention to it and that just throws me off more but i have to pay attention to it to know if im in time. x.x ive done lots of reading about it but nothing seems to help. any tips or advice would be greaaaaaatly appreciated

Don't worry, what's happening is nothing to do with metronome really - all that's happening is that you're really trying to play in time for the first time, and it's hard! Disciplining yourself to play in time isn't easy, and because you've only just started it feels like going right back to the beginning of the guitar and you're not used to things being this difficult.

Don't try to rush it, like people have sed, introduce yourself to the metronome gradually...work on single notes at slower tempos for the time being just to get used to it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thanks alot, everyone, for the tips! i realized i moved to 1/8 note trips and 16th notes too quickly. im backing it up and practicing 1/4 and 1/8 note until i get a real good sense of timing and feel comfortable moving to 1/8 note trips. im also running through the major scale positions and doing 1/4 notes for one position and then 1/8 notes for the next position to help me get a good feeling for time divisions. its going great just going to worki really hard at it and stick with it. anyway! thanks again