Whats the point of having a chunky neck? why dosent every guitar go for the shred style wizzard necks?
I suppose it depends on style of music played. Not every guitarist needs to fly around the fretboard like a mad man

And perhaps size of hands and gernal technique I guess. But I could be wrong.
Gear:
- Yamaha RGX121D in black
- Schecter C1 in white
- Marshall Valvestate 8080
- Roland Cube 20x
- Zoom G1X
- Guitar Rig 3 (for practicing )
IMO, les paul necks are too big for me, I wonder why they make them so big, but if you can play them they are supposed to offer greater sustain and better tone.
Sometimes a player who incorporates finger vibrato a lot will prefer a round, chunky neck over a flat, slim one as it lets the guitarist "flick" their wrist better as it is a better shape for it. That's really the only reason I can think of, though perhaps it also has to do with greater mass of wood = thicker tone/longer sustain
Flat wizard necks have been known to tire hands quickly. Obviously it's all preference, some people find it more comfortable. I'm more comfortable with a fat neck and a narrower fretboard - I really can't give an explanation why, it just feels more comfortable.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
It's called preference and opinion; not everyone likes the same style of neck.

I call idiot on TS.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
In my opinion, chunky necks are good if you like lots of crazy vibrato, as there's plenty of wood to wobble the strings up and down on. Look at Gary Moore or Paul Kossoff. Superb vibratoists, and they play Les Pauls with thick necks.

Incidentally, the Les Pauls from the late 50s are well known for their 'baseball bat' necks, and they're some of the most revered instruments on the planet.
It's really about feel.

I absolutely CANNOT play on anything other than an Ibanez or Jackson neck. I HAVE to have a very thin neck with a wide fretboard.

I played a few Schecters at GC the other day, and HATED the feel of the neck on every one I played. The $300 Ibanez felt better than the $800 Schecters I played. Of course, it's all preference though.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Also, chunky necks are usually found on large guitars made with plenty of wood. Therefore, by and large they'll have a fuller sound and longer sustain than your average Ibanez shredder.
I've wondered the same thing. Most of the time, I play a 7-string bass with fairly wide string spacing. This is probably the total heft of four guitar necks, yet I find it perfectly playable. I also play the Wizard neck, and it's neither better nor worse, just different. I don't understand the notion of "fast" either. Joe Pass played a fat neck, was he "slow"? You can get used to nearly anything.
Quote by phank
I've wondered the same thing. Most of the time, I play a 7-string bass with fairly wide string spacing. This is probably the total heft of four guitar necks, yet I find it perfectly playable. I also play the Wizard neck, and it's neither better nor worse, just different. I don't understand the notion of "fast" either. Joe Pass played a fat neck, was he "slow"? You can get used to nearly anything.

I'm just wondering what the practical purpose of a 7 string bass is....
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
I need thick-as-possible necks. I personally don't see why anyone would want a thin neck like an Ibanez - you can't play any faster on them than you can thicker necks, and if anything they're much less comfortable (which inherently slows me down - I can't play my best if I'm in pain!), the give a more vapid tone, and provide less sustain. Not to mention, a thin neck is obviously easier to accidently break than a neck the size of a tree trunk.

So, it can be viewed both ways.
Comfort is the reason.

I don't like Les Paul necks, find them too big. Ibanez necks are too thin. My hand gets sore fairly quickly when I've played on them. The most comfortable ones I've found for me are the Schecter necks, and some Fenders.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I'm just wondering what the practical purpose of a 7 string bass is....
Everything considered, it's no more practical than a keyboard. And who plays one of those, anyway?
I just love the feel of a chunky laquered neck i just love it my squier strat has a chunky laquered neck and i also have a ibanez with a toothpick neck and i prefer them chunky I'm not a crazy shredder anyway
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I prefer chunkier necks for rhythm, and thin ones for lead. schecter is uncomfortable, but I like the one their woodiness does for rhythm paired with 13 gauge strings
All preference. It wasn't until I sat down with a C shape, a soft V and a custom shop neck that I realised how much I prefered the V for a strat. It just feels right
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Most Les Paul/SG necks are pretty small. The 50s necks are huge, but the slim taper is so small, they were known for breaking, and that is the more prevalent neck style on em nowadays.
the big fat necks are just more comfortable for me
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
It comes down to comfort and opinion of what you feel best with. I think it is a misnomer to say thinner necks are faster... Buckethead plays a Les Paul.... and that guy shreds in a way that breaks my skull.....
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
what guitars are known for smaller necks? I have a hard time getting my hand around my Ibanez RX300. I have really short fingers. Seems like a smaller/thinner neck my be a good move for me.
thick necks also provide more sustain. just look at les pauls. you can play a note, go to sleep, wake up and still hear it
Quote by ironman1478
thick necks also provide more sustain. just look at les pauls. you can play a note, go to sleep, wake up and still hear it

If you have good vibrato technique the neck almost doesn't matter.

Quote by Platinum Pro
i like really think picks i don't like the thin ones cuz they seem to "pop" against the strings i use the 1.00MM tortex picks

That's wonderful...we're talking about necks though.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't mind thick/thin. My Les Paul is just as comfortable for me as my Strats neck, except it lets me vibrato better.
Quote by AdamDK
I don't mind thick/thin. My Les Paul is just as comfortable for me as my Strats neck, except it lets me vibrato better.

That almost certainly has more to do with the scale length than the neck size; Les Pauls have shorter necks so the strings are looser which means you can bend easier.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Neck size doesn't really seem to matter too much for me. I play equally well on my squier strat as on my yamaha (schecter style), my uncle's ibanez artist (lp size) or my friend's RG. Just takes a bit to get used to in the beginning.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
personal preference.

i guess theres a small effect on sustain and tone with a thicker neck (more wood)..not enough to sacrifice comfort over though.
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
Its a complete feel thing. I like having something to hold on to, and the thin little wizard kinda necks are horrible for me. I think the best comparison I've ever heard is how some men like their women skinny and some like their women with some meat on their bones.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Better sustain and warmth, a better fit for your hand, more grip for vibrato. Two of my guitars have very thick necks, and one has a medium neck. Thin necks feel wrong to me.
It's personal preference, like almost everyone has already said. A thick neck will indeed resist decay better but I wonder how noticeable/relevant this is given how much gain most people tend to use (myself included at times). I have guitars with thin necks and thick necks. I can play both equally well, although one that is way too thin will tend to make my hand cramp up a little after playing it for a while.
I prefer a skinny neck, but the Wizard is a bit too flat (U profile). If my G-400 was as skinny as a Wizard(2mm slimmer), but with the same profile as normal, that would be perfect. I think SG 61 reissues match that description.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Apr 21, 2008,
Like everyone else said, it's all about feel.

I think I could play pretty fast on my Gibson LP. I've tried Ibanez and others with those wafer thin necks and I just can't get the hang of it.

Size of your hands has to do with it too, but it's mostly preference.
I like Ibanez necks and I also like Strat necks as well, each offers a different feel....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Again, LP necks aren't big. I have a LP Standard, my friend has an Am standard strat. His neck is a quite a bit bigger. Another buddy has a Rhoads V, and it's even bigger
Quote by Epic_chef
Whats the point of having a chunky neck? why dosent every guitar go for the shred style wizzard necks?
Personally, I just find them to be very comfortable.

My old McCarty had the Wide/Fat neck and I LOVED it.

I think it has a lot to do with the way you orient your thumb. If you play with your thumb in the middle of the neck, you're going to like a thin neck. If you wrap your thumb around the neck, wider is better.

Stability is probably much better with a fatter neck too, IMHO.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Last edited by jm1681 at Apr 22, 2008,
I'm not too fond on thin necks. I can play something on them, but definitely not my ideal choice.

My favourite shapes by far are the old thick C-shape on the 60's Strats and the PRS regular profile. SG's also feel quite nice to my hands.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I feel like I'm about to break almost any Ibanez guitar I play due to its neck size and feel, it is just too thin for me. I play a Schecter Baritone, so I'm used to the longer scale length and thicker necks though.

It is all personal preference.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.