Page 1 of 2
Hello all - first post here.

I wonder if you folks can help me out. I have a Jackson Soloist that I bought recently, and I'm starting to think I need to return it. I *love* the guitar, but the fretboard is starting to look a little odd to me.

This is a Sam Ash exclusive model. It's made in Japan, but has all "real" parts on it like the Floyd Rose, Seymore pickups etc. It plays really well and I love everything about it.

A couple of days ago I was going through my normal monthly guitar cleaning regimen and discovered that the fretboard seems to be growing some fine white lines all over. Here are some pics: The "dirty" neck is from the Jackson and the "clean" neck if from my $300 three year old Ibanez Artcore

The lines are in fact indentations. They feel like cracks, but someone tole me they're pores. They don't seem to affect playability. My Ibanez has little pores in the wood, but they're not white. Is like normal in Rosewood? I've never looked in such detail before, but then I guess I also never had white lines either...

The Jackson is only 25 days old (to me), but I'm realizing that it could have been hanging in the store for who-knows-how-long. I have (in theory) five days in which I can still return it for a refund.

So what do you think? Is this normal? Is it cheap rosewood? I'd think the Ibanez would be even cheaper, but who knows. Should I get a refund and look for another guitar?

I will say that I'm not happy with the look of the fretboard. I've seen a lot of guitars and I've never noticed anything like this that I can recall. Others have told me that this is the pores in the rosewood. Why have I never had this problem before?

Here's a pic from the day I got the guitar:

and here's a pic from today:

Seems like something is getting into the pores. I've played it pretty regularly for a month and oiled it with lemon oil. Otherwise nothing has touched the neck. BTW the Ibanez was oiled on the same day and played for three years before that pic.

GAD
Last edited by LordGAD at Apr 21, 2008,
Looks like you just got a bad egg. Return it, but to switch for the same model.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
I had the same problem on my Epiphone G400 Custom. The wood gets white because its dry, like cracked skin. I used Fast Fret and pressed down pretty hard and that seemed to do the trick. I've heard lemon oil work well too, but I haven't tried it (yet). Google fretboard care.
Quote by BirdHouse
use a toothbrush + light fluid cleans really well

+1 nothin beats the classic toothbrush.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
well i'd take it to the shop neway, just to show em, and try to make a deal that if it makes the fretboard crack or anything you can still return it. best be on the safe side, cus jacksons aint the cheapest around
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

I could be wrong, but to me that just looks like a dry fretboard that needs a little bit of lemon oil.....
Quote by lexaah
well i'd take it to the shop neway, just to show em, and try to make a deal that if it makes the fretboard crack or anything you can still return it. best be on the safe side, cus jacksons aint the cheapest around

Yes I would do this and then the Lemon Oil. Even better see if your guitar shop supply the oil because you bought the guitar from them.
Never. After some searching, I'm wondering if the lemon oil I've used for 30 years contains something I don't want.

The residue in the pores sure looks waxy to me.

I'm using Wilbert Dri-Finish lemon oil, which again I've used for years on many guitars. No ingredients are listed.

GAD
Damn - I just realized that all my previous guitars were ebony fretboards.

GAD
Quote by LordGAD
Damn - I just realized that all my previous guitars were ebony fretboards.

GAD

there we go
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

i think it's normal, i have the same thing on my MIJ dinky...
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
You might want to go back to your dealership and ask for a "fret board conditioning" treatment, that's MADE for this purpose. Pour a little bit on a cloth and then rub it into the wood vigorously. Leave the oil to soak into the wood. I clean fretboards frequently with this (the Fender brand) and it seems to work for me. As for returning the instrument, it's your choice...it seems that the wood it's made of is rather grainy. If you want something with a tighter grain pattern (no white streaks) then you probably want to trade the guitar in for something else. If it's not too unsightly, AND you really like the way it plays, keep it. Good luck to you. IMHO, ebony is a much better wood for keyboards.
Quote by Joey45
IMHO, ebony is a much better wood for keyboards.

Did you mean fretboards or literally keyboards?

GAD
Quote by 666_Belial

+1

dont sweat it its normal.
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
Quote by fergus74
I could be wrong, but to me that just looks like a dry fretboard that needs a little bit of lemon oil.....

my jackson has the same problem, i went to a shop and they said i should clean it with lemon oil!
im gonna give it a try this week
Top lel.
Quote by BirdHouse
use a toothbrush + light fluid cleans really well

what do you mean by "light fluid". like water or something?
It's normal. It's just the grain...sometimes it gets whiter. The Ibanez maybe has a dirtier fretboard, so the dirt and such fills in the grain and makes it look smoother.

So yeah... here's rosewood for ya Lay off the lemon oil some, use olive oil (not too much of course), and clean up this board with some 0000 grade steel wool.
^ironman - i think he meant lighter fluid, but i would only use that on a really dirty maple fretboard NOT rosewood.

i would only use lemon oil for guitars, not Pledge or anything lemon scented.

and if you decide you must us .0000 steel wool make sure you go lightly and with the grain of the wood which is usually up and down the fretboard and not parallel with the frets. based on what I can see, you don't need to steel wool your jackson....your ibanez, maybe. does it play smooth or is it getting sticky.

GHS Fast Frets and Dr. Stringfellow are also lemon oil based and should work well.

Also - if you use a toothbrush, make sure it is brand new as left over tooth paste and junk, and water, are not good for rosewood
hope that helps
;
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ironman - i think he meant lighter fluid, but i would only use that on a really dirty maple fretboard NOT rosewood.

i would never try that, like what would happen if someone decided to light a smoke when they were next to my guitar lol
yeh, i can't imagine putting lighter fluid on any guitar but several people on UG have recommended it for a really dirty gloss maple board.

i'll go on record now to say that that was not my suggestion.

my rosewood has those white marks too and to someone else's point, it just means that it is clean. you can get wax build up from the lemon oil so TS needs to do nothing for now imo and see what it looks like again in 2 weeks or so after playing
;
RE: keyboard...I slipped a momentary mental gear...yes...I meant fretboard ; )
Quote by 666_Belial

+1 to entire statement.

I've had mine for almost 2 years.
Problem is solved!

Thanks all for your advice. Here's what I did.

1) Learn how to re-string a floyd rose floating bridge.
2) Find an allen wrench
3) Remove the strings.
4) Run to the store to get a new stiff toothbrush
5) Scrub every fret (with the grain!)
6) Break for dinner
7) Scrub some more

Difference now is night and day. All the white "ick" is gone. The toothbrush is black.

8) Apply some Dr. Stringfellow that I purchased earlier in the day
9) Wait a bit
10) Buff it off/in/whatever
11) Re-string
12) Enjoy

I'm totally happy with the results. The white spots are gone, the fretboard is noticeably cleaner and the new strings, as always, made a huge difference.

Lesson 1 learned: A 30-day old guitar is, in fact, a guitar that's been played by 1000 people over the course of say a year or more in a big open store. I feel like I should have disinfected it before taking it home. Ew... New guitars are only "new" if you get it from the factory.

Lesson 2 learned: "Lemon Oil" is rarely just lemon oil. I'm a believer in Dr. Stingfellow now.

Lesson 3 learned: There are about 100 different recommendations online for what is "right" and "wrong" for fretboards. I picked this one. I'll let you know if it ruins my guitar.

Lesson 4 learned: I'm an obsessive idiot. Well, I already knew that actually...

Here's a new pic: All better. The white specs are only noticeable in direct sunlight or with a flash. My arm is too tired to scrub more.

Thanks again all. I learned a lot these past few days.

GAD
BTW I'm convinced that the white "ick" in the pores was wax from the "lemon oil" I was using.

GAD
That is a tell tale sign of someone having used furniture polish on a rosewood fretboard due to how it filled the grain.
lol

This thread reminds of of another one a while back. The guy saw the grain pattern feathering out on the heatstock of his new Fender Strat and thought it was damaged or stained with coffee and wanted to return it :p
yeh, i actually use Dr. Stringfellow LEM-OIL spray every now and then like every other string change, and Dr. Stringfellow String Cleaner and Lubricant every now and then on the strings, but I'm pretty sure it is prolly about the same thing. they smell the same and the bottles look the same. it is pretty hard to wipe the strings down and NOT get it on the fretboard.

i suppose it is possible to use this stuff too much but man it sure feels good to play on a slick board with slick strings.

what i've learned, and i've posted this before is to wait a bit before restringing (as hard as that is) because the lemon oil seeps out of the wood and it gets wet again in pockets. just use a clean soft cloth and wipe it away, or back in, until you don't see that bleeding anymore. then restring.

BTW, i still see the white streaks but maybe that is just your flashl.

point of this thread tho is don't freak out if the white lines come back, it's natural and it is your fretboards way of thanking you...i wonder how many rosewood fretboards there are out there that are ruined because someone put Lighter Fluid or water or an old toothbrush on there. ouch
;
my soloist fretboard is the same. im convinced its just dead skin getting in the pores. it doesn't bother me.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
^i doubt it is dead skin cells

i have those marks on my board where i don't even play like the upper frets, but i wipe the fretboard down the same across board...i'm convinced it is wax build up. i think it is important to use a clean cloth and/or the same cloth(s) that are used for your fretboard only. in other words, if you have an old rag laying around and you've used it to dust with Pledge for example and you wash it in washing machine thinking it is all clean, it may still have wax and other crap in it. i actually have like 4 hand cloths and nice fine polishing cloth and i use different ones for different cleaning jobs. color coded no less.
;
Yeah i have the same guitar dude mine has the same problem, i know i probably shouldnt have done this but i tried Old English on it before and it kinda helped for a little while (maybe like 2 1/2 months begin played almost every day). but i've also had it a year and i bought it a pawn shop so i dont know exactly how old it is anyway.
Quote by one vision
You're supposed to do it twice a year.

Please don't try and act like there's a "way" to do anything, what if I do it 3 times a year?

What are you going to do?
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
yea i meant lighter fluid spelling error up there.
lighter fluid evapourates very fast so hence no worry's about leaving residue .
but of course toothbrush + lemon oil should work fine too
Page 1 of 2