Hey all. I'm in a band right now, and we have a show this friday. The screamer had this idea that during one of our songs when he screams an "OH!" that we tape "oh!" on the back of our guitars and flip it up to the crowd. The other guitarist is kind of skeptical, because he doesn't want it to damage the finish on his. I was just wondering if it really had any effects at all on the finish or if he's just being a little bitch. Thanks!

EDIT: If you think it does, then any ideas on how to get around it, like using different tape or putting the tape on paper, then the guitar?
Guitars
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez RG350DX
Amps
Marshall MG50DFX
Fender Bronco
Pedals
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
MXR EVH Flanger
Boss MT-2
Boss NS-2

www.myspace.com/readysetbingo

Quote by Baba O'Riley
SGRocker407 you have some epic hair. Most curly.
Last edited by SGRocker407 at Apr 21, 2008,
It might do to be honest; if you value the finish on your guitar I wouldn't risk it, it'll probably leave glue stains.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
For the record, Scotch Tape does leave crappy glue stains on the finish.

I know first hand...
Quote by deathbat831
.........oh wow.
Eddy 372, im nominating you badass of UG
Quote by disturbed_n_wv
I believe thats the best looking Explorer I've ever seen, I did think they were all ugly until i seen that one Eddy372 good choice.

You can try using that blue painter's masking tape. It's meant to come off real easy without any residue. I use the stuff when I'm working on guitars without any damage to the finish. For example, when I'm working on a neck, doing fretwork and the guy wants to save his strings, I'll loosen them up and tape them back. I'll also cover the pickups with it so any metal filings don't get stuck on the pickups.

At the same time, I don't leave it on for long periods of time, and when I'm done working on the guitar, I immediately give it a nice polish.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Apr 21, 2008,
If the manufacturer did their job, it should have no effect other then residue which is easily removed.

Try to avoid using sharp objects to remove it afterwards though.

EDIT: I had a thought - you said you're going to use electrical tape which is typically black... Are you going to write "OH" with a white marker or something?
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311

EDIT: I had a thought - you said you're going to use electrical tape which is typically black... Are you going to write "OH" with a white marker or something?

Nah, it'll be on the back of my white ibanez and his cream explorer. So black just seemed right because it would be easier to see.
Guitars
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez RG350DX
Amps
Marshall MG50DFX
Fender Bronco
Pedals
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
MXR EVH Flanger
Boss MT-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by Baba O'Riley
Quote by SGRocker407
Nah, it'll be on the back of my white ibanez and his cream explorer. So black just seemed right because it would be easier to see.

Ahh gotcha - So you're going to shape the word "oh" with electrical tape.

Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Yep, you got it. I think it'd be a cool idea. But I think i'll definitely bring up the painter's tape idea, that sounds good. If i can, i'll see if we can get pictures of it at the show.
Guitars
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez RG350DX
Amps
Marshall MG50DFX
Fender Bronco
Pedals
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
MXR EVH Flanger
Boss MT-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by Baba O'Riley
Just make sure you put it on the right way...

Not sure it would be a good idea to be calling your audience "HO"'s during a gig...

Would be neat to see pics! Keep us updated!
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
Just make sure you put it on the right way...

Not sure it would be a good idea to be calling your audience "HO"'s during a gig...

Would be neat to see pics! Keep us updated!

Hahahaha, that would be hilarious! But yeah man, I'll definitely see what I can do about the pictures. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Guitars
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez RG350DX
Amps
Marshall MG50DFX
Fender Bronco
Pedals
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
MXR EVH Flanger
Boss MT-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by Baba O'Riley
I'd be careful. certain types of tapes, like duct tape, and electrical tape, the adhesiveness comes from more of a glue type stuff. So if electrical tape is left on your guitar. It could very well not just stick to it. But more like glue itself to it, and it could cause damage to the finish
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Maybe you can use Post-it notes. :-)
Don't these come in jumbo size?

You could even pull a Bob Dylan by sticking on several covering each other.

Oh - Ah - Yes - More - Yes - Don't stop - AAAaaaaaaaaah...
Masking tape residue comes off with guitar cleaner, ive done it a tone and you really cant tell after it comes off.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Do the car paint test.... Take a wee bit of tape and stick it on a not so visible place (As in the back of the guitar, or in a cutaway) and just stick it and then remove it. It shouldnt take ANY paint off, or leave any glue marks if it is do able safely. If it does, then you got a problem....

And BTW, to Me, just my opinion, the whole thing seems a little to flashy and over-the-top... Sure it's different, but, dunno.