ive been doing guitar/bass customization and body building locally for about a year now.
ive recentely been offered the chance to build, from scratch, a neck thru...

ive never even built a neck, much less a neck thru guitar.
so im a bit scared

i wont actually have to start building for another 2 months, so ive some time to learn
what do you guys suggest i do?
this is pretty much a make or break scenario for me right now.
please i really have no idea how to go about this.
should i start building some necks?
should i build an entire neck thru or two?
what?
please, im deadly serious; I Need Help
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
start looking up neck dimensions
extend the neck for the body
then make some wings to stick to it
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
Sorry buddy, I don't know anything about actually building your own guitar from scratch.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ebay Help > asking a dog for help > The Pit

Quote by brady12345
dude, you have a camera, go kick some people in the nuts and run
Necks are a tricky thing, very tricky... the make or break part of a good guitar... I know Gibson shapes each and every one so what I would do is take some measurements of some fenders and gibson and ask you customer if he wants deep or shallow? and what scale he wants? 21, 22, 24 frets and then After you have the measurements down shape like 3 or so and then let your customer hold them and choose the one he wants... To actually make the neck though I don't know of any special methods...
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Quote by im_atheist
start looking up neck dimensions
extend the neck for the body
then make some wings to stick to it

k, so the neck should be the length of a regular 24 fret neck, plus the length of the body.
right?
thats what you're saying, i think.
then the rest of the body would just be the wings you're talking about.

would i route the humbuckers into the neck then?
well i guess it wouldnt really be the neck, the extended part of the neck that ends up being the body, right?

Quote by -GuitarHero-
Sorry buddy, I don't know anything about actually building your own guitar from scratch.

lol, me either.
its why im here
Quote by WickedBeast666
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

Quote by Deathcabforpat
Necks are a tricky thing, very tricky... the make or break part of a good guitar... I know Gibson shapes each and every one so what I would do is take some measurements of some fenders and gibson and ask you customer if he wants deep or shallow? and what scale he wants? 21, 22, 24 frets and then After you have the measurements down shape like 3 or so and then let your customer hold them and choose the one he wants... To actually make the neck though I don't know of any special methods...

he wants 24 frets, and a thicker shape
les paul or a fender D/boat shape
Quote by WickedBeast666

my question is, how did you tell someone that you could build them a neck thru, without actually having any previous knowledge of how to do it?
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
then find the measurements of that and do it.
Yes, you route the pickup routes into the neck wood
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by htsktim91989
my question is, how did you tell someone that you could build them a neck thru, without actually having any previous knowledge of how to do it?

no he had seen my work and really liked it
he asked me if i could build him one
i thought he meant just the body.
when i found out it was the full guitar i figured id just buy a neck and bolt it on
then he gave me the specs and by then it was too late to back out.

Quote by oneblackened
then find the measurements of that and do it.
Yes, you route the pickup routes into the neck wood

thanks

the distance from the nut to the 12th is the distance from the saddles to the 12th, right?
Quote by WickedBeast666

There's this book you could read:
http://buildyourguitar.com/books/beg/index.asp

It looks rather professional:
http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/egb/index.htm

I'd build a test case using cheap materials before starting on a final product. If it's really important, you could build three at the time and sell your customer the best of the three. The most expensive part of a guitar will be the electronics you mount on it anyway.

Best of luck. Post some pics as you go along please.
www.stewmac.com, click on free information, there are tips on building a neck-thru in the neck section
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
You probably wouldn't route until you glued the wings on.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by Withakay
There's this book you could read:
http://buildyourguitar.com/books/beg/index.asp

It looks rather professional:
http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/egb/index.htm

I'd build a test case using cheap materials before starting on a final product. If it's really important, you could build three at the time and sell your customer the best of the three. The most expensive part of a guitar will be the electronics you mount on it anyway.

Best of luck. Post some pics as you go along please.

hey thanks for that, ill definitely check it out

but the most expensive and difficult part will probably be the floyd rose
im gonna need help with that one....

any one have any experience with that?

Quote by ValoRhoads
www.stewmac.com, click on free information, there are tips on building a neck-thru in the neck section

hey cool!
yeah i checked stewmac earlier but didnt find anything on neck thrus
thanks bro!

Quote by SupremeACL
You probably wouldn't route until you glued the wings on.

yeah very true
im not too worried about that in all honesty
my biggest worry is the fretting and the floyd rose...
Quote by WickedBeast666

Well... if you are really worried about the fretting you could buy a pre slotted fretboard... Although I'm not sure if selling someone else work is legal? Here's an example of a neck thru, just the neck.

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=NT6K

so now you know what to build.

Here's an example of a finished neck thru guitar

http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/aria7.jpg

Ok maybe you already knew that. Here is a great tutorial on making a neck. You can substitute your own measurements, and make it a neck thru.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/neck.htm

and here is one all about doing a fret board.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/fretting.htm

As for getting your measurements, just draw the guitar out, and measure from the tip of the headstock to the, uhm.. bottom part of the guitar... I want to call it an ass, but I think that's wrong lol. As for thickness, some people make the part of the neck that is inside the body a lot thicker, some people keep it the same. About routing, once you get the wings glued on, it will look just like a regular guitar. Then you just rout it like a regular guitar. I don't know about the floyd rose routing, I have heard that is very difficult, but I'm certain that anyone could do it with the right planning and patience.

Best of luck to you, know let's see some pics!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^it's not illegal as long as you don't claim that it's your own work. otherwise selling a guitar that was custom made for you to someone else would technically be illigal...

But anyway, TS, there's not much else I can post, there's already some good info. in this thread....
aw i love you guys seriously this is my favorite thread ever
Quote by WickedBeast666

lol well I think everyone on UG is just glad to help out people in need. Maybe it's because we know that if we post a question it gets answered... it surely isn't because we are good people. I for one, don't have a soul. I club baby seals with the bones of immigrant children for fun...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.