Are they fun messing around with?

And which ones are good?
Hell yes they are. I just picked up a BOSS dd20 and haven't even dug into it yet, but I had a digitech digidelay, and would recomend it as a starter, unless you just wanna go all in and get the dd20. Most songs have some sort of delay in them at some point.
i got a dd-20 can get chorus sounds with the modulation effect, violin tones, anything really ;p
Quote by Scumbag1792
Now if your looking for the best Delay/Echo
Line 6 DL4 my man, quality right there

Sorry, my man, but the dd20 absolutely destroys it in a head to head comparison.
i'd ask a user on here named twevo about the mxr carbon copy delay according to him it's a pretty good pedal
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Deluxe Memory Man/16 Second Digital Delay.

If you're not completely rich, try some of the cheaper Boss pedals. Maybe a Maxon analogue Delay.
Quote by MAYNARD
Sorry, my man, but the dd20 absolutely destroys it in a head to head comparison.

Nope. No. and just NO.

BOTH are great pedals. I've owned both. Currently I stick with the DL4... My personal preference....I like the fact that it has 3 dedicated delays that are all tap tempo, and it is EZ on the fly editing... with an easy to use looper. The dd20, sounds WONDERFUL....sometimes better than the DL4, BUT sometimes it does not, and IMHO the dd20 is not as "on the fly" user friendly.

Ask yourself what is it that you want to accomplish with the delay pedal... and go from there.... take your ACTUAL rig to the music store and try some out! The dd20 IS awesome, but so is the DL4...the EHX delays are great too!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Last edited by brianthemayan at Apr 21, 2008,
The line 6 DL4 is far out of my price range

The DD20 cheap either:P

I want one to make intresting solos, would it be easy for a newbie to make cool souding stuff with a DD20? Or is it advanced stuff??

(not a total newbie, I can improvise simple blues rock solos, mostly use the pentatonic scale)

edit: What kind of stuff am I loosing out on if I go with a cheaper pedal like the Boss Delay DD-3?
Last edited by Nugi at Apr 21, 2008,
i would have to say the digitech digidelat. you can even record 4 seconds of riffage and then it will play it over and over while you can solo over it
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
well if you like a sterile sounding delay, you can go for BOSS.

if you like a little warmth and quility you can go for an Electro Harmonix DMM, an MXR Carbon Copy, or even a Marshall Echohead
Boss are known for their delays. If possible, I suggest getting a delay that has a tap-tempo feature, in that it's a bit of a pain trying to dial in the exact tempo you want sometimes.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
I have a boss DD-5 which I picked up second hand. Its does far more stuff than I need to be honest, but for its price I was impressed.

I'd recommend picking up a cheaper model to begin with, then once you have got "used" to using delay, you can see which features other pedals have which you would like, and then upgrade when needed.

It turns out my DD-5 dows far more than I needed, so i may downgrade (I'm a rhythm man)

Just my 2p
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by Scumbag1792
Now if your looking for the best Delay/Echo
Line 6 DL4 my man, quality right there

This man speaks truth. I used to have one, but I ended up taking it back, because it had too many features for what I needed, but I'll be buying one again very soon. The looper is the coolest feature on it. If you familiarize yourself with it, you can record, and play your own loops on the spot live.

The delays themselves are very good, tap tempo, and true bypass = DL4 FTW.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Vornik
Boss are known for their delays. If possible, I suggest getting a delay that has a tap-tempo feature, in that it's a bit of a pain trying to dial in the exact tempo you want sometimes.

That does sound usefull, are there any cheap ones with this feature?
It looks like the DD-6 is a discontinued pedal.... how much are they charging you for it... and how much do you want to spend for a delay pedal?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Perhaps look into the EHX Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai. Cheaper than the DL-4 and DD-20, but still has lots of features and sounds great.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by brianthemayan
It looks like the DD-6 is a discontinued pedal.... how much are they charging you for it... and how much do you want to spend for a delay pedal?

250 $, but things are more expensive compered to American I think

The DL-4 costs 630$ here..
The EHX Deluxe Memory Man has incredible tone, and offers chorus and vibrato.
Quote by Nugi
250 $, but things are more expensive compered to American I think

The DL-4 costs 630$ here..

JESUS CHRIST! The DL4 costs like 250 over here!
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
The DD-7 is soon comeing to Denmark
It looks awesome, it also has a loop feature which would be usefull.

What do you all think?