Now, as a person who likes to know way more than needed (I'm to technical at times) I was wondering, I know what they both look like, but I was wondering,

What are they both exaclty? I realize its the wood grain (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), but why does it look so different to normal wood? Is it a naturally occuring thing or what?

Just curious, Seems like an odd question but it's been bugging me.
Both flaming, curling, and birdseye effects are all naturally occuring distortion in the wood. The wood just happens to grow that way. I'm not sure why... I don't think anyone really know, but maybe.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I think it's mold or fungas which eats away at the grain and leaves really cool patterns. It's the same with Spalted Maple and possibly Zebrawood.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
I think it's mold or fungas which eats away at the grain and leaves really cool patterns. It's the same with Spalted Maple and possibly Zebrawood.

Yes, I believe Spalted Maple and Birdseye work that way, which is why very few guitar companies will make a Spalted or Birdseye neck -- they warp too easily.
Yes spalted definitely is, I'm not sure about bidseye but that seems to be a reasonable explanation.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Both flaming, curling, and birdseye effects are all naturally occuring distortion in the wood. The wood just happens to grow that way. I'm not sure why... I don't think anyone really know, but maybe.

Flame and quilt are from the tree collapsing on itself.

Quote by Les Paul Ell

Wrong.

Spalted maple is caused bybacteria, but the rest of your post is incorrect.

Quote by 601210
Yes, I believe Spalted Maple and Birdseye work that way, which is why very few guitar companies will make a Spalted or Birdseye neck -- they warp too easily.

Also wrong partially. Birdseye is plenty strong enough for necks. Spalted maple is ROTTEN wood. Useless for necks, and even useless for body tops too sometimes.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by ormsby guitars
Flame and quilt are from the tree collapsing on itself.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Collapsing." I kinda got an idea, but I'm not sure how a tree collapses on itself. Care to explain?
The tree weighs so much, and after standing for 50+ years, the lower trunk, which cant get enough nutrients because of the other trees around it fighting for the same light/soil/water, begins to compress on itself. Like a spring.

This is why non old growth, or plantation grown trees, dont have much, or any figuring. They get all the light they need, they are spaced evenly in soil rich with nutrients, and are cut down before their growth starts to slow too much.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by ormsby guitars
The tree weighs so much, and after standing for 50+ years, the lower trunk, which cant get enough nutrients because of the other trees around it fighting for the same light/soil/water, begins to compress on itself. Like a spring.

This is why non old growth, or plantation grown trees, dont have much, or any figuring. They get all the light they need, they are spaced evenly in soil rich with nutrients, and are cut down before their growth starts to slow too much.

Interesting. Thanks for the through answer.