and I have no clue what i'm doing.

We practice once a week, though hopefully that will change once summer comes. We have one cover so far and 3 more tentative covers and we are working a bit on originals. I am just stressed cause I really have no clue how to lead the band.

Do I need to buy a PA system for when we start gigging?
How do you guys create melodies to go along with written lyrics?
how do you deal with a drummer who has no volume control and every thing he improvs sounds the same?
"There was a time you let me know
What's real and going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah"
-Leonard Cohen
You need to chill if you're that worried about it, being in a bands supposed to be fun. You probably wont' need a pa for a while, and I imagine most places you play will have one. As for melodies for singing, if I can't figure them out I usually play something, and ask the singer how he'd sing over it, but just doing la la--la to get teh melody adn syllable count. So just ask your singer how he'd sing the lyrics and play while he's doing that. And for teh drummer he'll get better over time, everyone in the band will.
Last edited by stratkat at Apr 21, 2008,
Dude, if someone told me what I'm about to tell you, (and I took them seriously enough), I would be way ahead of the game.

Despite what others may say on here, band leading is a group effort. No single person can do it, at least so everyone is happy, all of the time. Honestly, and this is sooooo very important, sit down with everyone in your band and ask them what they want out of it. Be very critical about it though. Do they want this as a career? For fun? To get laid? Whatever. Do you all want the same sound? What bands do you feel influence you the most? Etc.

If you are all on the same page, the battle is half way won. If not, bare this in mind when it comes to difference of opinions down the road. This really will sum up so many problems/disagreements in the future.

As far as you're questions go...

It's always best to buy a PA, even if it's only a 30 watt or something. I mean, as far as singing goes, a mic, cords, and PA are pretty much all you need in the beginning. $200 usually covers a basic setup. If money's a problem, try recording a rough demo, once you get some songs written, and sell them for a couple bucks.

If you are the sole singer in the group, then you should probably pay the majority of the cost. In the future, say you break up or whatever, that way it's yours, and there isn't a big thing over who gets what, you know?

As far as the melodies go: I've always found it's easier to write guitar first, then vocals. My band has two guitarists, so if you think about it, trying to get two people to sync up is easier than our single singer. Although, if you can work the vocal melodies in at the same time, by all means do it.

Drummers are drummers: they hit crap with sticks. Don't expect them to have great control over volume. All I can say to offset it really is to tell him to hit the snare/bass as hard as possible, all of the time... that way there isn't variation. *Not the best advice though* If he's been drumming for more than like 3 years, and can't do a decent fill, then tell him to get his drum stick out of his ass, and start working on that crap.

Most importantly, relax and have fun with it.

Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
Last edited by Johl at Apr 21, 2008,
^-- that was brilliant advice. I really thank you for it. You're right that I should relax more about it. I'm in the band for fun but i want to play gigs, just local ones though. I'm just worried that our band will end up sounding mediocre and insignificant and I was unfortunately born as an overachiever, or at last trying to overachieve
"There was a time you let me know
What's real and going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah"
-Leonard Cohen
I don't know anthing about leading a band. And I've never written anything interesting enough to brag about either. Just so you know before reading the following.

I'd like to address the melodies question:
In my opinion most rock/pop melodies are quite simple. It's not the only part that makes a great song. I think the harmonies are at least as important. Arguably more so.

Take Muse for instance: except for the intro and solo, the melody is often in the vocals. But there are all kinds of subtle notes that transport Bellamy's voice to a higher level. If you play only his vocal part on a piano, you're left with a pretty simple progression.

Good harmonies is what lacks in many songs. The second and third 'voice' (rhythm guitar/keyboard/backing vocals) are what turn an average melody into a great song.

Now, since you major in music, as an exercise I suggest you take one of Muse's vocal melodies and try to compose a different set of harmonies over it. If you do well enough, you should come up with a very different song. Once you have the knowledge how this works, you'll be more confident to stick a simple melody to your lyrics and add the harmonies to turn it into something good.
Last edited by Withakay at Apr 23, 2008,