So i got into an economics course at a UK university for 2008 entry. the issue is, i now feel i would prefer to study law, although i still enjoy economics, and while there are options to pursue law after a degree in a different subject, i am wondering whether i made the right decision.

i feel like i would do well pursuing a career in law, but i do enjoy economics; it's the debate and meticulous discussion and construction of arguments i enjoy as well, which is why i think i would really like studying law.

from the time between the start of my application to now, i have become increasingly interested in law. unfortunately, i also made my application during that time, and things are now in motion. i guess i am just looking for some advice from people who were (or are) in similar situations, because i really dont want to mess up arguably the most important time of my life.

any advice about anything relevant to my uncertainties would be appreciated.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
conversion course ftw.

Oh yeah the worlds going into global recession. Will that effect economics graduates.
Just wondering
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

If you don't like the course you can always change at the end of the first year. Or just quit in the middle of the year and start a law course in 2009.
How much do you like maths? Because at Uni you'll be doing a fair amount in Economics, nothing at all in Law. That can often be a crucial factor in deciding.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Quote by YngwieJnr

Oh yeah the worlds going into global recession. Will that effect economics graduates.
Just wondering

I would've thought that would make it better for them, as more people want advice on the economy so more business? Just a thought....
If you had applied for law, you would be having the same feelings about doing economics right now - it's just human nature. I'm currently a third year economics student and I reckon it's not too terrible, really. Also there is some maths (as mentioned above) and statistics involved later on. Keep that in mind.
You could just go do economics, then if you like it carry on and if you still want to do law after then do the conversion course you can do for law
Yes. You just failed at life.

/thread.

On a more serious note, which do you think you prefer more?
It also depends on what subjects (as said above, and not just Maths) those two branches have, and which you want and do not want. It may sound a bit lame, but draw up a list and think about it. Pro's and Con's.

Edit: You could actually do both, but that depends on how long you are willing to study. If you do both, you have a wider variety of options for careers after you have finished studying.
Quote by Badreligionrock
How much do you like maths? Because at Uni you'll be doing a fair amount in Economics, nothing at all in Law. That can often be a crucial factor in deciding.

Maths? I suppose that's how its pronounced in the UK. I've always known it as mathematics.

Aside from that. Economics requires a lot of visualization of the markets and a keen sense for graphing and mathematics (maths). I took one course of it and realized that it was not for me.
Quote by YngwieJnr
Oh yeah the worlds going into global recession.
Just wondering

Where are your sources for this?
I haven't heard of the term global recession before, but globalization I have.
Basically, more and more countries are being controlled by their economy, rather than by government/parliment, etc.
So economy would be a good way to go, as would law.

I might also just be confused
Just change your major. I'm switching from Biology to Engineering and I'm already a year into it.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
you have all the time in the world.

Finish the course you're on, then switch to Law.

This=/=problem.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
You can always change your course if you're not happy, it'll just cost you more.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Yes. You can change your course if you're not happy with it or even take a gap year to rethink things over. You can always withdraw yourself at no extra cost.

In any case, Law is a great subject. I highly recommend it. I'm a law student myself.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by chillrock
So i got into an economics course at a UK university for 2008 entry. the issue is, i now feel i would prefer to study law, although i still enjoy economics, and while there are options to pursue law after a degree in a different subject, i am wondering whether i made the right decision.

i feel like i would do well pursuing a career in law, but i do enjoy economics; it's the debate and meticulous discussion and construction of arguments i enjoy as well, which is why i think i would really like studying law.

from the time between the start of my application to now, i have become increasingly interested in law. unfortunately, i also made my application during that time, and things are now in motion. i guess i am just looking for some advice from people who were (or are) in similar situations, because i really dont want to mess up arguably the most important time of my life.

any advice about anything relevant to my uncertainties would be appreciated.

Most if not all UK universities allow you to change your degree once you get there. Ask the universities you applied to if they can consider you for law, or at least go to university in 2008 and change within the first few weeks.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
as a poli sci major planing on going to law school, if you want to persue law school after your undergrad work an accounting major will work fine. law schools are fine with most types of majors as long as they are not performance based like drama or art. In fact if you have any intrest in combining your intrests and doing business law then the econ major would be extreamly appropiate. As long as you take a few basic political courses and some english courses you will be fine.
Do an LTB Course after university if you still want to be a lawyer and youll be on your way to being a lawyer with only a years delay. A lot of law companies actually prefer non-law graduates with their qualification (dont ask me why i think it doesnt matter either way)

but no you definitely havent, and even if it wasnt law you could still move over a degree easily enough.
College students change their majors on an average of 3-6 times within their college career. It all just depends on if this is your first year or not. If it's your first year of college you can try law a semester, economics a semester, or even a year each I would suppose and then decide which you would rather earn the degree in. It's not new for someone to switch majors.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.
more people then not nowadays probably change majors.... how is that anywhere close to F$*%ing up your life. You must have lived a very sheltered life if you think that is bad at all... that doesn't any register on the F%*ed up scale of life.
Quote by clown_phobia
If you pick the right subjects first year you can usually transfer, can't you?

you can change as many times as you want unless their are special restrictions on the major you are going into. College is really a waste of time to get a piece of paper that doesn't prove much for most majors. They just want as much money as they can get aka more you change longer you will be there paying them.
Yeah, it'll be fine, I was in your exact position. I applied for History of Art but then I decided I wanted to do Philosophy as well, and in your first year you should be able to do whatever you like, just swap some Economics modules for Law ones at the start of term and then providing you do enough of them (I think it equates to about a third), you'll qualify for doing Law in your second year. Or you could do a Joint Honours course if you can't decide, like I did. The first year doesn't count anyway, it's just getting you used to the topics. At least that's what it was like at Reading. If you've applied to Oxford or something then they might be all draconian about it. If you're worried then ring your uni's admin department.
Quote by ViperScale
you can change as many times as you want unless their are special restrictions on the major you are going into. College is really a waste of time to get a piece of paper that doesn't prove much for most majors. They just want as much money as they can get aka more you change longer you will be there paying them.

Dude... how old are you? You sound like a 13 year old that listens to Nirvana and Green Day yellin "Fight the system, man!" College is an insanely important part of your life, especially today.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.
thanks for all the advice - i do realise that there is plenty of time, and a combo of econ and law is not a bad thing.

just for the record , i am going to a UK uni (Durham), and the system is different than it is in the States, so some things which are possible in the US may not be possible in the UK.

Quote by Guitardude19
Most if not all UK universities allow you to change your degree once you get there. Ask the universities you applied to if they can consider you for law, or at least go to university in 2008 and change within the first few weeks.

i knew you could change certain modules within the course, but i didnt know you could change your actual course in the first few weeks.

thanks again, you guys were a good help
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
getting out of uni is by far the best decision ive ever made

chose the wrong course, happened to be full of idiots, was so unhappy - left - nothings perfect, but im happy.
No, you didn't just f_ck up for life. Most of the answers are already posted, therefore my opinion is meaningless .
DANK MEMES
Call/email your uni of choice. Chances are they'll be happy for you to change your course before you start, or up to around six weeks in. Lots of people change courses before they start or just when they start at uni. It's not a big deal.