Page 1 of 2
Beat.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Well, you see, back when R&B was a new genre, it seemed that it was mostly played by black people, so nowadays the connotations remain, but the good music doesn't.

I know, it makes me feel angry too, I hear people talk about R&B and I join their conversation, I mention Chuck Berry, Dr. Feelgood, etc. Then they look at me like I'm insane.

EDIT: I'd actually like to mention a book that some people looking into the history of Blues, and Rock may enjoy, it's called 'Been Here and Gone', I can't remember who wrote it, but basically, it's a biography of a fictitious person named Coley Williams who basically lived and played with all the famous Bluesmen, from Ledbelly, to Hendrix.
Brilliant book. It explains where R&B comes from.
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by blynd_snyper
Well, you see, back when R&B was a new genre, it seemed that it was mostly played by black people, so nowadays the connotations remain, but the good music doesn't.

I know, it makes me feel angry too, I hear people talk about R&B and I join their conversation, I mention Chuck Berry, Dr. Feelgood, etc. Then they look at me like I'm insane.

exactly ! chuck berry, now that's real r&b !
I know what you mean, this is why I don't listen to the radio much. even the rock stations are pretty bad. 3 songs---5 minutes of talking---6 minutes of commercials. WTF IS THIS CRAP!?
And to be truthful, it isn't really R n' b. It's slightly-dirty pop.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by The red Strat.
it might have rhythm (then again, which song doesn't ), but blues ?
wtf ?

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaXBc37b70
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=YDBIbJKjAZQ

so, who can explain me why the **** they call it rythym & blues ?

I can imagine you being a whiny little pasty teenager who's never listened to any other music.

Blues is an emotion, a way to feel the music, not a brand or genre for music.
Another genre related issue that is annoying me today is the number of different genres.

Somebody came up to me the other day and asked a question about postcore-emo-death-whatever-blahblahblah-yakyakyak-punk-indie-rock.
I think the bannable fruit best described the way I felt after that.

Can't we just call it rock? I can understand having a few subgenres, but it seems it's being taken far too far.
Judging rap based on radio friendly r'n'b is like judging rock by the stuff you hear on the radio.

That is the very tip of the iceberg of rnb just like fall out boy and others are the tip of the iceberg for rock.

Moronic crunk music is hated in rap just as much as much as power chord crazed talent-lackers are hated in rock.

The two genres are very similar

Id recommend having a look at east coast rap like Mobb deep.
Shook ones.

Rap is different to Rock/guitar music. The beat is there to take you to the words skipping out the melody part. It needs as open a mind as when you first started crossing over from pop to guitar music.

Im sure someone can argue for Rnb but i find it different to rap, maybe theres good stuff out there but as hard as i try most of it is just computerised singing combined with monotous beats (But do look at prince people)

Chris rock summarises it hilariously...

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=z9A2I-X7b-w
Last edited by RedFez64 at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by HanPlaysBass
I can imagine you being a whiny little pasty teenager who's never listened to any other music.

i lisenn to funk, blues, rock, indie, alternative, hard rock, jazz and reggae.
i listen to more than blues

i completely agree, it's a feeling that you only get with real blues music, not with 'r&b' crap.
Quote by The red Strat.
i lisenn to funk, blues, rock, indie, alternative, hard rock, jazz and reggae.
i listen to more than blues

i completely agree, it's a feeling that you only get with real blues music, not with 'r&b' crap.

No it's a feeling you already have that get's expressed with music. Have you ever listened to the actual words in an R&B song. All of them are about love and all those other kinds of soppy **** but all of them have the same tone, sadness. Besides, that's why they call it RHYTHM AND blues. They use the rythm to create the parts of the music you obviously don't like, and then apply their "blue" feelings to create this COMPLETELY different genre.

Stop complaining, you ain't changing anything and no one values the opinion of people who just try and find popular things to bash.

EDIT: It's also a common misconception among young people that the blues were really popular back in the day, when really it was more of an underground music most likely because of segregation. Even later on in the 60's + 70's all those blues influenced rock bands were famous but there was still ****ty pop music around i.e. disco.
Last edited by HanPlaysBass at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by HanPlaysBass

I don't think you'd be able to feel pop music like Britney spears in the same way you can feel a brilliant harp solo.

Quote by HanPlaysBass
Stop complaining, you ain't changing anything and no one values the opinion of people who just try and find popular things to bash.

Nobody values the opinions of people who flame, unless that person is Meths.
Quote by HanPlaysBass
No it's a feeling you already have that get's expressed with music. Have you ever listened to the actual words in an R&B song. All of them are about love and all those other kinds of soppy **** but all of them have the same tone, sadness. Besides, that's why they call it RHYTHM AND blues. They use the rythm to create the parts of the music you obviously don't like, and then apply their "blue" feelings to create this COMPLETELY different genre.

I don't know about you, mate, but I don't hear too many blues notes in R'n'b.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Quote by blynd_snyper
I don't think you'd be able to feel pop music like Britney spears in the same way you can feel a brilliant harp solo.

Nobody values the opinions of people who flame, unless that person is Meths.

Maybe you can't, but the next person might get the same feeling from "Hips Don't Lie" as you do from "Johnny B. Goode" or "Bring it On Home"

Is that not what I just said.......
It started as rhythm & blues but it just evolved into what it is today. Todays Rock n' Roll doesn't sound like Jerry Lee Lewis or Elvis yet it still has the same name. Simple, if you ask me.
Quote by master
It started as rhythm & blues but it just evolved into what it is today. Todays Rock n' Roll doesn't sound like Jerry Lee Lewis or Elvis yet it still has the same name. Simple, if you ask me.

+100
Quote by HanPlaysBass
Maybe you can't, but the next person might get the same feeling from "Hips Don't Lie" as you do from "Johnny B. Goode" or "Bring it On Home"

Is that not what I just said.......

If I ever find anybody who can find the same soul, the same feeling and the same raw experience in modern music as I do in Blues, I'll build a shrine to them and worship them as the one and only true God.
Quote by blynd_snyper
If I ever find anybody who can find the same soul, the same feeling and the same raw experience in modern music as I do in Blues, I'll build a shrine to them and worship them as the one and only true God.

Well you're going to be building a lot. I don't understand how you can't grasp the fact that people like different things. Blues sounds like **** to other people and Rap sounds like **** to you. Get over it and put your headphones back in and enjoy some Robert Johnson.
Quote by blynd_snyper

+1

i like this guy
They're two different genres.

The older one is rhythm and blues (e.g. the who?)

the newer RnB is rhythm and beat
Every genre has classifications we might consider to be wrong, but its just a classification system. Since when has music been about organised systems?
Its like Linkin Park and MCR being classed as metal. They aren't like the old metallers (Maiden, Sabbath etc.) but I doubt anyone who likes LP or MCR really gives a crap.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by HanPlaysBass
Yeah +1 for being closed minded.

"funk, blues, rock, indie, alternative, hard rock, jazz and reggae"

oh, and add REAL r&b to that list too.

close minded ?
Quote by The red Strat.

"funk, blues, rock, indie, alternative, hard rock, jazz and reggae"

oh, and add REAL r&b to that list too.

close minded ?

Quote by The red Strat.
+1

i like this guy

The post you were quoting was extremely closed minded and you seem to agree.

The fact you can't appreciate the fact that other people have feelings for other music just blows my mind. IT'S MUSIC, PEOPLE CAN HAVE OTHER TASTES!

No one gives a **** what genre of music they're listening to as long as it makes them feel good. They don't go around and say "Oh is this (insert genre here)? No? **** it then." Until you've listened to every R&B song from every artist, stop bashing genres.
Last edited by HanPlaysBass at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by HanPlaysBass

The fact you can't appreciate the fact that other people have feelings for other music just blows my mind. IT'S MUSIC, PEOPLE CAN HAVE OTHER TASTES!

No one gives a **** what genre of music they're listening to as long as it makes them feel good.

Quote by blynd_snyper

read closely.

of course. my point was that r&b (today) simply can't have the same feeling that blues has, as a response to you saying it can.
Quote by HanPlaysBass

No one gives a **** what genre of music they're listening to as long as it makes them feel good. They don't go around and say "Oh is this (insert genre here)? No? **** it then." Until you've listened to every R&B song from every artist, stop bashing genres.

+1

I like this guy
Sometimes it's rhythm and blues, rhythm and bass, rhythm and beats.

Who even cares what they call it? It's an evolution of the original style, which was black musical culture, and if anything, it's got better.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by blynd_snyper

There are lots of different types of 'modern music'...
Quote by The red Strat.
read closely.

of course. my point was that r&b (today) simply can't have the same feeling that blues has, as a response to you saying it has.

Can you read? Did you see my point on how "other people have feelings for other music " or are you just so incensed with rage about the variety of music out there that you lost yourself?

Quote by rabidguitarist
Sometimes it's rhythm and blues, rhythm and bass, rhythm and beats.

Who even cares what they call it? It's an evolution of the original style, which was black musical culture, and if anything, it's got better.

Yay for sense!
Quote by blynd_snyper

Songs that have been put out in the last 3 years have brought me to tears.
Start worshiping.
Quote by The red Strat.
read closely.

of course. my point was that r&b (today) simply can't have the same feeling that blues has, as a response to you saying it can.

Well you're wrong, he is right

Now read the next sentences carefully:

You are not all people. What you see in music is not what other people see in music. Your opinion on things is not the be all and end all. Piss off.
Quote by HanPlaysBass
Can you read? Did you see my point on how "other people have feelings for other music " or are you just so incensed with rage about the variety of music out there that you lost yourself?

Yay for sense!

are you retarded ?

blues is a feeling. you said that, and it's true.
blues is also a genre, which has that feeling. no other genre can have that same feeling, unless it has the blue notes in it too, which would make it blues or a variant (ie blues rock, jazz/blues) of it.

todays r&b CAN'T have that blues feeling, becuase it doesn't have the blue notes in it, which is what makes blues what it is.

you said someone could feel the blues with 'hips don't lie' for example, which is impossible.

that was my point.
Try this: Why is just about every type of music involving guitar referred to as rock, which is a shortened version of rock n' roll which hasn't been around for a long time now. Rock n' roll is AC/DC, Led Zeppelin etc. Not Green day or whatnot.
Because it's progression...

Does nickel back sound like chuck berry?....
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by sofubar
Try this: Why is just about every type of music involving guitar referred to as rock, which is a shortened version of rock n' roll which hasn't been around for a long time now. Rock n' roll is AC/DC, Led Zeppelin etc. Not Green day or whatnot.

what ?

that made as much sense as this:
Page 1 of 2