I noticed that Dan from The Black Keys played finger style, so, I was thinking of making the switch. Does anyone know of any other good guitarists that finger pick?

I was wondering if you could get a decent hard rock vibe going with it, or, just switch to a pick?

Thanks!

I have played the style before, being a classical guitar major, and I really enjoy the feel for blues.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
Jeff Beck plays without a pick.
And so does Mark Knopfler, from Dire Straits.

I wouldn't call them hard rock, though.
for a hard rock sound i'd say use a pick because it has more attack. however, jeff beck plays some rocking music without a pick. it really depends on how heavy you want to play.
this maybe be tough as ive noticed hard rock and fingerpicking doesnt really go hand in hand too too often... but mark knopfler is a good one as mentioned along with clapton and the red hot chili peppers... my favourite is john butler trio though he finger picks most of his stuff its quite modern and he has his heavy moments but even still very beautiful energetic pieces.. only problem is he isnt super well known so some tabs are tough to get.. try his website though and there is a tab share part in a forum where you can get some awesome stuff.. hope this helped
You could use your nails for a crisper, meaner attack.
Or build up some callouses on your fingertips.
Hmm, I haven't heard many fingerpicking by Frusciante, maybe one or two songs I can recall...

But John Mayer is an exclusive fingerpicker, and Mikael Äkerfeldt also plays quite a lot (well, almost all clean parts are fingerpicked )
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Cool Cool.

Been looking to experiment with my playing, and take it in new directions.
Hell, maybe I'll just switch it up.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
mark tremonti from Creed/alter bridge does some nice fingerpicking, buts that's only for the intricate clean parts.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Obviously Mark Knopfler plays without a pick - and he can get a heavy-ish sound at times.
Alex Lifeson fingerpicks on occassion, as does Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Andy Summers...it's a long list but it all depends on the actual strength of the player's fingerstlye as to the tone they'll get.
It's important to remember that dynamically a pick is the best amplifier you'll ever get - but if your a classical guitar major I doubt this will affect you much.
Just experiment.