Okay, i've been forming my band now and we still havent found a drummer or singer (we shud be gettin a couple of calls within the nex 3 days).

so the problem is that, we are thinking about giggs we have our own music (here to listen to 2 demos: www.myspace.com/defrockednuns )

we need some info:

1) what is a mixer? i can get the basic meaning out of the name, but what does it do, how does it work? do we need one to play gigs? if yes then why?

2) okay here is one that everyone seems to kno exept for me: a PA, what is it? yet again the same questions, do we need it, what does it do????

3) I have a 75w amp and rythm guitarist has a 45w amp, are these enough for small gigs?

can we do gigs without a pa or mixer (why why not?)

4) i feel stressed, im makin this band in a country where i dont speak the language well enough to recruit, so the rythm guitarist is takin care of recruitin a drummer, he called a drumm teacher and asked if he knew a drummer, the teacher sed hell give my friends number to a drummer on monday (which is today) , how long shud we wait 'till we call the teacher again?

5) same for a singer, we need an english one so we asked someone to put up fliers in an american school, do u think that'll be enough?

6) what will we need to play at a gigg? (i mean as things to give to the venue so that they let us play therE)

Sorry for the wall of text but i just can't find the nswers to all these questions.

Any answers would rlly be apreaciated.

Thank you in advance

-The DefROCKed Nuns

edit: oh and i forgot the worst thing, mthe drummer has to call the rythm guitarist and i realised that the idiot has his phone turned off!!!!!, wtf shud i do?
Last edited by thedefrockednun at Apr 21, 2008,
1) what is a mixer? i can get the basic meaning out of the name, but what does it do, how does it work? do we need one to play gigs? if yes then why?

A mixer is a small (or not-so-small) board that you feed different inputs (mikes, guitars, and so on) into, which then feeds that signal into a PA setup. It normally provides EQ controls for each separate input, a volume control and gain for each one, an overall volume, and the opportunity to take a line out to monitors and headphones.

2) okay here is one that everyone seems to kno exept for me: a PA, what is it? yet again the same questions, do we need it, what does it do????

A PA is a Public Address system...basically big speakers and a mixing board, to play music in larger venues where amps just aren't big enough, and also to get a nicely balanced sound in all parts of the venue.

3) I have a 75w amp and rythm guitarist has a 45w amp, are these enough for small gigs?

can we do gigs without a pa or mixer (why why not?)

Small gigs, yes, that should cut it, although remember to get the levels right. You can most certainly do small gigs without a PA... if they provide one. Otherwise your vocalist isn't going to get heard. Make sure you know in advance.

4) i feel stressed, im makin this band in a country where i dont speak the language well enough to recruit, so the rythm guitarist is takin care of recruitin a drummer, he called a drumm teacher and asked if he knew a drummer, the teacher sed hell give my friends number to a drummer on monday (which is today) , how long shud we wait 'till we call the teacher again?

Give it at least a week, be polite. It's not the teacher's job to recruit a drummer for you, be grateful.

5) same for a singer, we need an english one so we asked someone to put up fliers in an american school, do u think that'll be enough?

That's a good start, but be creative...ask around at other people's gigs, make friends with musicians, and consider singing yourself or getting the rhythm guitarist to. You'd be amazed how many people are at least capable of it.

6) what will we need to play at a gigg? (i mean as things to give to the venue so that they let us play therE)

Well, you shouldn't need to pay to gig. That's not normal. As far as gear goes, you're probably going to need amps, cables, mics, drum kit, and all the stuff you need to rehearse in a band situation. Then you'll need stuff to plug into the PA, so bring lots of cables.

Some places will provide you with amps, others with a drum kit (although very few give you cymbals), some places with PA, others not...you're going to need to find out from each place separately.

Hope that helps!
1) A mixer is something that you plug microphones into, you can adjust the EQ settings of each mic, and set the level (how loud they are) individually.

For instance, you have two vocalists. they each have their own mic, the mics plug into the mixer, and now you can adjust them, to maybe make you pan to the left, one to the right, or make one have more bass or more treble.

2) PA= public address, this is a combination of a mixer, a amp and then speakers, your voice goes into the mic, then into a mixer where its combined with the other sounds, through an amp which makes this sound loud, into the speakers so you can hear it.

3) If they are solid state, which I'm guessing they are, then you might be able to pull it off depending on the acoustics of the room you are playing in. LEveling everything is very important.

A PA system will let vocals be heard, so yeah you need one if you want to be able to hear your singer. But with small gigs the place you play at might have their own PA systemt hat you can use.

4) Nagging isn't good, if he doesn't get back to you, I'd wait a week or so then call again, after that you might want to try another way of getting a drummer.

5) Possibly. Try music shops too.

6) drums, guitars, bass, vocals. focus on the music.

Bring alot of duct tape you dont know how many times thats saved my butt. Extension chords and power strips are necessary too.

hope this helps