After restringing my Fender (see below for type) i noticed that the bridge has become bent up as if i had pushed the vibrato arm towards the strings and it had gotten stuck there. What did i do wrong and how do i fix it?
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
loosen the springs in the back.

search it on google, or ask sum1 here for details, b/c all i know is wat to do, not how to do it
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Did you change string size? Say for example 9's to 10's? Also, how far up did the bridge go? If the widest part of the bridge is approximately 1/8th of an inch away from the body, that's actually ok (if you don't mind a floating bridge). If you want the bridge to be flush with the body though, you'll need to increase the spring tension in the back.

I know there's a picture or link around somewhere that will show you how to do it. I'll dig around and repost when I find it.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
You need to tighten the springs in the back. I used to loosen them in my Yamaha so that my bridge would float like yours is now. That probably happened because you're using a heavier string gauge.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Hakael
Did you change string size? Say for example 9's to 10's? Also, how far up did the bridge go? If the widest part of the bridge is approximately 1/8th of an inch away from the body, that's actually ok (if you don't mind a floating bridge). If you want the bridge to be flush with the body though, you'll need to increase the spring tension in the back.

I know there's a picture or link around somewhere that will show you how to do it. I'll dig around and repost when I find it.

Umm, i think i changed the string size (hybrid to regularz?). Did i do bad? I didnt think a small change would do that
Quote by Ichimaru
You need to tighten the springs in the back. I used to loosen them in my Yamaha so that my bridge would float like yours is now. That probably happened because you're using a heavier string gauge.

Is it ok to tighten the springs while my new strings are on if i loosened them first? I have a bad feeling id just mess the intonation or something
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Umm, i think i changed the string size (hybrid to regularz?). Did i do bad? I didnt think a small change would do that

This is about the least major problem you can ever have with a guitar, short of rusty strings. Just unscrew the back panel and you'll see this:

See the two screws going into the wood at the top? Screw those further into the wood. If they're already all the way in; put another spring in, but you may have to loosen the screws a fair bit before another screw will go in. Also, make sure you've stretched in the strings properly because the tension will be lower once they're stretched fully.

EDIT: No, you won't mess up the intonation.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Last edited by Ichimaru at Apr 21, 2008,
Here's a video that may help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsYmITgD9s8

You can see him increase the spring tension by adjusting the screws in the back.

The one thing you want to keep in mind when changing string sizes is that, different sizes put different amounts of tension on the bridge. Higher guages will put more tension, usually pulling the bridge upwards, while smaller strings can cause a bridge to fall towards the body.

Having the bridge tilt up on vintage style tremolos, like most Fenders, is ok (provided it's no more than 1/8th of an inch). That would basically make the bridge float, allowing you to push down AND pull up on the tremolo arm.

Like I said before though, if you want the bridge to lay flat against the guitars body, you'll need to increase string tension (by adjusting the screws like in the video), or you can also add springs.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Loosen The Springs Before Your Guitar Neck Snaps!!!!!!!

The bridge is showing that you have extra pressure because of the heavier gauge.

Therefore you will have more pressure on the neck, and it may snap.
Quote by 1Tom1

It's not gonna snap...
Quote by Hakael
Having the bridge tilt up on vintage style tremolos, like most Fenders, is ok (provided it's no more than 1/8th of an inch). That would basically make the bridge float, allowing you to push down AND pull up on the tremolo arm.

Its about half a centimetre
Quote by 1Tom1

The bridge is showing that you have extra pressure because of the heavier gauge.

Please be quiet.

TS, add a spring in the back and you're set. Mabye two.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Please be quiet.

TS, add a spring in the back and you're set. Mabye two.

That, or tighten them.

I swear some of you people would be better off not owning a guitar with all the stupid crap that i've herd.

"OMG Your neck will break the instant the tension of taken off!!" -Simply not true.

Those of you who said loosen, shame on you. Think about it.....
I had the same problem. Got tired of having to spend 5 minutes anytime I wanted to change the tuning on the guitar and added 3 springs to the two I already had there. The bridge is firmly planted against the body now.

Downside is that you can't whammy up (only down)
Well the screws are in as far as they can go so it looks like an extra spring for now, or wait till i put a new set of strings on and then sort it out :/
Quote by 1Tom1

*face palm* Loosening the springs genius will make his bridge rise even more. I'm hoping you were just being an idiot and trolling cause you were bored.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
*face palm* Loosening the springs genius will make his bridge rise even more. I'm hoping you were just being an idiot and trolling cause you were bored.

*looks at join date* nope, i think he was being serious
Quote by Ichimaru
This is about the least major problem you can ever have with a guitar, short of rusty strings. Just unscrew the back panel and you'll see this:

See the two screws going into the wood at the top? Screw those further into the wood. If they're already all the way in; put another spring in, but you may have to loosen the screws a fair bit before another screw will go in. Also, make sure you've stretched in the strings properly because the tension will be lower once they're stretched fully.

EDIT: No, you won't mess up the intonation.

I know this is off topic, but I don't think it would be worth it to make a whole new thread about something this minor... and while we're talking about this area of the guitar...

...what is that wire soldered on the bit in front of the springs? What exactly does it do?

Thanks
I think its an earth wire for the electrics in the guitar.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!