Alrighty then, I've been collecting gear for a few years now, and I think my setup is now only missing one thing: nice amp.

What I'm looking for is a British voiced tube amp which I can comfortably carry in one hand (I don't have my own personal roadies, you see ). It needs to be loud enough to cope over a drummer/bass/piano at small gigs (But I've done that with my little 5W unmic'd before) and should take pedals well. Should also be able to play it at bedroom levels, though I'd be happy to stay clean at that level. I like simplicity, just one good channel will do me fine.

Tone-wise, I'm looking for a nice rich British indie tone (Doves, Elbow, Editors), but I play anything from rock to blues, staying low to mid gain. Really, I'm looking for an AC30-esque tone. I'll be using a Fender Tele Deluxe/Epiphone Dot (both HH) and my TS808 for overdrive.

Obviously, I've tried the usual suspects out (Laney VC15, Vox AC15, Fender Blues Jr), but 15 minutes of noodling around doesn't really give me an idea of what the amp is like to live, work and play with, or any idea as to its reliability. This will be my 18th birthday present, so budget is £350 (though I can contribute, so £600 tops). I would like this to be the last amp I buy whilst I'm still just a hobbyist, as I'm bored of going through the cheap-but-cheerful options, it should be a good one! So GG&A, I turn to you.

Current top contender is the Vox AC15CC1, for its simplicity, but I've heard some bad things about it on here.

[A £350 amp here in the UK would be about $800-$900USD, as we pay 17.5% tax here.]
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
i saw that you mentioned the blues junior, its a great amp but wont get you any where near british tones. It really is only for blues, andf maybe some classic rock with youre ts808

for a small amp with british tone, i would look into the orange tiny terror, its 15 watts will be loud enough, plus i think its like less then 20 pounds. that amp would be the best british tone your going to get, for that tone and portability
Gear:

Fender Blues Junior
MIM Standard Strat
EVH Phaser
535 q dunlop wah
modded ts9
E.H. Pulsuar Tremelo
Homemade truebypass box
a little bit of jesus
Last edited by dangb523 at Apr 21, 2008,
Laney VC30, no doubt. If you want to spend the extra, go for an Orange Rocker 30
Forget to mention it should be a combo. I have space and portability issues!
Quote by Alicee

I Don't Play Metal.
+1 to Orange Rocker 30.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Everyone's recommending the Orange Rocker, but I'm going to stick with the Laney VC30, simply because it's extremely cheap in the UK, and will do all you want - imo the Laney pwns the Orange on cleans and has a much nicer tone for blues, but crank up the gain and bingo, mid-gain galore.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Is there any tonal difference between the VC15 and the VC30?
Quote by Alicee

I Don't Play Metal.
AC30CC2 w/ Celestion Alnico Blues. Its a bit expensive, but it will be the last amp you will ever need to buy (for those tones).

/thread.
Quote by happy-and-lost
Is there any tonal difference between the VC15 and the VC30?

I THINK the speaker in it is different? And people say that the 30 just sounds 'better' than the 15...I'm not sure, you want to check with Becky on that one.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

what about the AC30CC1? A genuine AC30, but its only got 1 speaker so its a lot lighter than a regular one. Theyre about £520 at sound control, i think.
Quote by colin617
AC30CC2 w/ Celestion Alnico Blues. Its a bit expensive, but it will be the last amp you will ever need to buy (for those tones).

/thread.

I don't know about you, but I couldn't carry that thing with one hand...

I say go for the AC15CC1. Though I'm biased, because I would kill for one of those amps. I think it would fit what you need very well, though.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Tiny Terror Combo?
Gear:
2007 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Honeyburst)
Marshall AVT50X
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Signature Crybaby Wah
Quote by Horlicks
^ VC series is alot better, has much more features and is cheaper

I'm looking for quality of tone, not features.
Quote by Alicee

I Don't Play Metal.
Quote by Horlicks
^ VC series is alot better, has much more features and is cheaper

I would go for VC over the TT too, but for the reason that it has a better voicing and tone for the needs which you require - TT is far too dark for the blues-to-Brit-pop sound- I think it can do blues and rock very nicely, but I would be looking for something lighter (like a VC) for your needs.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace