Pentatonic minor/major scales are good. Most used in the minor scales are forms I and IV (work on I first)
Major. because it is the core scale in which all other scales are built from.
pentatonic. then major, then minor.
i agree that major is incredibly important, but pentatonic is the easiest to apply
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
major ftw

pentatonic mnor for the afterwards
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Pentonic min/Maj then all major scales the all minor. Thats what I did seemed to work
This works for almost any situation....

Quote by PaulyVengeance
Punch it. Punch it until it goes away.
OK - I'm a guitar nub and i'm still trying to figure out these scales and their names. So from what i understand now there are scales such as Major, Minor, Pentonic maj/minor. Those are about all i've heard, but i know there are more.

My question here is when people say like C major, or whatever letter infront of major, that is the same scale but just started in a different position right? That's how it gets the name that goes infront of the name of the scale? Or am i totally off here lol. I really do need to read a theory book sometime :P
Quote by Exodus04
OK - I'm a guitar nub and i'm still trying to figure out these scales and their names. So from what i understand now there are scales such as Major, Minor, Pentonic maj/minor. Those are about all i've heard, but i know there are more.

My question here is when people say like C major, or whatever letter infront of major, that is the same scale but just started in a different position right? That's how it gets the name that goes infront of the name of the scale? Or am i totally off here lol. I really do need to read a theory book sometime :P

Not the same scale in terms of notes, but yes in terms of intervals. Here are your basic major scales (interval formula 1 2 3 4 5 6 7):
C - C D E F G A B
D - D E F# G A B C#
E - E F# G# A B C# D#
F - F G A Bb C D E
G - G A B C D E F#
A - A B C# D E F# G#
B - B C# D# E F# G# A#

Read up on your theory a bit, learn the major scale inside and out and you'll be good to go.
Ok cool - well ya basically what i meant is that you use the same fingers in the same order just at a different starting fret.
Quote by Exodus04
Ok cool - well ya basically what i meant is that you use the same fingers in the same order just at a different starting fret.

Yes, the pattern is the same because the intervals are the same, but make sure you learn and memorize the notes as well.
Quote by sangosimo
major scale,
e 013
B 013
G 02
D 023
A 023
E 013

if you use this you can learn the notes around the nut and the string names.

That's not "the major scale", that's "the notes of C major between the nut and 3rd fret"

Specifics are everything
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 23, 2008,
Quote by Niko12
Major. because it is the core scale in which all other scales are built from.

+1
Check out this page - the first one is the C Major scale which is what was the first scale i ever learned. This looks to be a pretty good tutorial too and it's on UG

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc_scales/essential_scales_tab.htm

Just remember to play it without moving up and down the fret board. You should be able to position your hand so your first finger is on the 7th fret and then play this whole scale without moving by using all your fingers.
thanks for the article exodus.

except on the tab thing the WWHWWWH thing confused me. I looked at the article that explained it, and I still didnt understand that example.

Can anyone explain how the website I was using works?
I apologize for flooding the board or whatever, but can someone please help I really want to learn some scales.
I believe the WWHWWWH thing is talking about steps. W = whole step and H = half step.

Basically, each fret is a half step, the same with notes:

E--0 is an E note, and a half step up would be:

E--1 which is an F note.

One whole step from the original E:

E--2 is an F#

I hope that helped and wasn't entirely confusing.
thanks OsokDracul i appricate it.

Exodus-

"Just remember to play it without moving up and down the fret board. You should be able to position your hand so your first finger is on the 7th fret and then play this whole scale without moving by using all your fingers."

I don't really understand what you mean by this. Do I keep my fingers in the same exact place on the fretboard, or do I keep moving down/up the fretboard in the same position. Like do I Assign 1 finger to a certain fret, and keep moving down?
No problem. I think Exodus means to use your index finger for notes in the first fret of the scale, middle finger for second fret, ring finger for third and pinky for the fourth.
I pulled this from a lesson I was learning on UG

Fig. 1-2

G major scale box, 6 string root.
Red notes are G, the root of this example.

E|---------------------------2-3--|
B|-----------------------3-5------|
G|-----------------2-4-5----------|
D|-----------2-4-5----------------|
A|-----2-3-5----------------------|
E|-3-5----------------------------|

How does this show the WWHWWWH formula? It goes up a step first, then it only goes up a half step from 2-3 next. Isnt the formula 2 full steps, then a half step?
Depending on a method you choose, there are 5 or 7 positions.

Each position has a root, that root will always stay in the same spot. Whatever not you put on the root note spot, will become the scale. If my root note is on a C, the scale will be a C scale.

Instead of looking at a whole bunch of scales and trying to memorize them, try actually learning the positions and notes on the fretboard.

Justinguitar.com He has a good lesson on the major scale. Follow it.
I don't think that matters at this point as far as playing the scale. Just tune your guitar normally and play the scales. That's basically all you gotta worry about for now.
Last edited by Exodus04 at Apr 24, 2008,
Quote by nin3donian
thanks ze metal

so every major scale doesnt follow the WWHWWWH formula?

Every major scale is constructed WWHWWWH beginning at the root of the scale. Learn the notes now, it'll benefit you.
Quote by Exodus04
I don't think that matters at this point as far as playing the scale. Just tune your guitar normally and play the scales. That's basically all you gotta worry about for now.

No.