well, what can i say. i'm pretty new to scales even though i have played guitar for a while. i know some majors and some pentatonics but everytime i try to play a solo around them it sounds way too blusey. i know metal solos rarely are improvised, but i would like to know what scales are used mostly in metal. i have heard that kirk hammet plays pentatonics, but i'm not sure.
any help would be greatly appreciated
The Natural Minor and Harmonic Minor scales are bad ass for metal!! At least i think so...
Try the phrygian mode or melodic minor. I only improvise my solos, but those are my favorite "metal" scales.
I am the slime from your video
Oozin' along on your living room floor
Yeah, Hammet and Zakk Wylde mainly use pentatonics. Their style has a more bluesy metal sound to it because of that.

But yeah, the natural minor and harmonic minor are the best to start out with. Try the phrygian too. And keep in mind it's not so much the scale that's making it sound "metal" but the notes and the scale degrees that make it up.
Any harmonic scale would sound good. Gentatonics are good too. I personally like to use the Phrygian scale as well.
Loads of metal solos are in the minor pentatonic, it only sounds bluesy if you play bluesy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Loads of metal solos are in the minor pentatonic, it only sounds bluesy if you play bluesy.

+1
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Locrian mode, it is used by many guitarists and has a dark sound due to the 6 or 7 flatted notes
Kramer Striker FR-424
Fender Starcaster
Roland Cube 30
Roland Mini Cube

Digitech RP90
Squier P-Bass (Insanely modded)
Fender Rumble 15
Quote by steven seagull

Pretty much, just listen to Zakk Wylde.
Well i just started doing modes, but imo dorian(2nd degree of major) is pretty good even tho i don't think its popular for metal like phrygian is. And of course harmonic minor is great, and minor pentatonic can work if you shred it but it might not sound as dark.
Quote by BTSleadguitar
Locrian mode, it is used by many guitarists and has a dark sound due to the 6 or 7 flatted notes

Locrian is used VERY rarely in general, and I don't recall hearing it in a metal context ever off the top of my head. Five flatted notes, by the way: 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

TS: You can use any scale you want; it's about attack and phrasing as well as the rhythm underneath it more than anything.