Hey everyone. I just got an old Ibanez Talman electric, from a friend. I kinda like the thing, it's got a certain "charm" to it. It's got three lipstick pickups, one volume, one tone knob, gotoh tuners, the like.
My question is, what in the world is the body made out of. I did a small amount of research and the best I can come up with is either micarta or phenolic composite(whether their the same thing or not). Either way, it's definitely not wood.
Does anyone have any knowledge about it, what's it sound like, does it have, good sustain, etc.?
thanks in advance.
There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. - A.J
------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 member of Slashism, the worship of Saul Hudson himself, PM slashs_#1_fan to join.
Yeah, but my amp is in another place right now..... I like how it sounds unplugged though.
There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. - A.J
#3 member of Slashism, the worship of Saul Hudson himself, PM slashs_#1_fan to join.
They are the same thing. Martin uses it as a fretboard on a few guitars. Its like a counter-top laminate. Probably has similar tone characteristics as an acrylic body guitar, maybe a little lower tone due to the density, though.
alright thanks.
Ok, here ya go. I really like the thing...and I'm not sure why. I haven't had a chance to clean it up yet though.....

my martin has a micarta board. i love it. keeps clean with a damp rag, very responsive, nice feel and look.
man made composite, probably last the next ice age.

dont know if id want the body made of it tho.

here's some more discussion on micarta, they fight about it all the time on the martin sites.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-40279.html
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Apr 22, 2008,