Set Neck
19 25%
Neck Through
35 46%
Bolt on Neck
22 29%
Voters: 76.
Page 1 of 2
Ok so based on cost, playability, looks, sustain ETC.

Which of these three types of necks do you prefer?

This Poll Closes 1 week from Monday the 21st of April.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Thru necks are my favorite. Max sustain and great playability, as well I think it looks the best, hardest to replace by far tho'. Obviously.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
neck thru= more sustain but darker tone
bolt-on= less sutain (not as bad as it sounds, amazing guitars are bolt-on) and snappier sound i belive would be the best way to describe it
set neck....meh idk
i like the neck thru because of the easily playability when close to the body.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
neck thrus don't sustain any better than bolt ons.

Um.. Fail.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
lol no kidding... Dude they just do... they just do. It's like a fat chick and Lance Armstrong on a bike, you don't need to be a genius to figure out that Lance wins
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Set necks don't sustain any better than a (good) bolt ons. The fact that you can replace a bolt on in a few minutes makes it my favorite.
Really? I would have thought that since the bridge and the nut were all on the same piece of wood it would sustain better...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
even though bolt-on is more difficult to reach the higher frets, I like being able
to take the neck off. I also think that the plates are cool!
its like specialized branding!
neck thru is the best, easiest to make cuz u dont have to make a pocket and has the most sustain
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by bdragob
even though bolt-on is more difficult to reach the higher frets, I like being able
to take the neck off. I also think that the plates are cool!
its like specialized branding!

well, some people might think this sounds dumb, you could always just put a neck plate on anyway. It would serve no practical purpose other than it would look good to some people.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
For all those bickering about sustain:

Neck Through

Set In

Bolt On

Neck through = greatest sustain.

did you read those articles? if you had, you'd have realised that they actually point out that the little research that exists suggests that bolt-ons have the best sustain.

so don't say 'um... fail'. it makes you look, justifiably, like an idiot, given that you're wrong here.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
i like the look and feel of a great neckthrough ^^^ @ this guy you didnt read it either this was taken from the bolt on article
Less sustain, due to the bridge and nut being on two different pieces of wood, but this disadvantage is subjective, frequently debated, and not supported by formal research.

both neckthrough and bolt on have similar statements in their respective articles so you have no grounds for an argument either
I am me. Live with it.
^are you a complete spack? seriously? the bit that you quoted says that bolt on's supposedly have less sustain than neck thrus, but that this is not supported by research. ie, it says exactly the same thing as the neck thru article, that people think neck-thrus have better sustain, but this is not supported by any research.

seriously, learn to read before you try and wade into debates.
Why would you believe Wikipedia anyway? Alot of articles are edited by people who are biased. The guy who added "not supported by formal research." probably wants to sex a bolt on.

The osmosis article on Wikipedia used to/still does state that "Osmosis is the net movement of water from an area of low water potential to an area of higher water potential."
That couldn't be more wrong.

I voted neck-thru, because i have played all three and neck-thru had the most sustain.
Derp.
Last edited by .Will. at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by .Will.
Why would you believe Wikipedia anyway? Alot of articles are edited by people who are biased. The guy who added "not supported by formal research." probably wants to sex a bolt on.

The osmosis article on Wikipedia used to/still does state that "Osmosis is the net movement of water from an area of low water potential to an area of higher water potential."
That couldn't be more wrong.

I voted neck-thru, because i have played all three and neck-thru had the most sustain.

that is a good point you make. fortunately, i'm not the one who's bringing wikipedia into it. http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/neckJointSustain.htm

on a final note, your last point is moot. the neck thru may have had better sustain for other reasons than the neck joint.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Apr 22, 2008,
I never said they have better sustain due to the neck joint. :P

The reason they have better sustain is most probably due to the fact that all of the features of the guitar that control sustain are on the same piece of wood.
Derp.
Quote by .Will.
I never said they have better sustain due to the neck joint. :P

The reason they have better sustain is most probably due to the fact that all of the features of the guitar that control sustain are on the same piece of wood.

semantics. the reason that all the features of the guitar that control sustain are on the same piece of wood is because of the neck joint. ergo, you are still attributing it to the neck joint.

furthermore, that isn't actually the case usually, unless your fretboard is made of the same wood. could be the case, but often isn't.
What i said has absolutely nothing to do with the neck joint.

The neck granted, but not the neck joint.
Derp.
Last edited by .Will. at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
^are you a complete spack? seriously? the bit that you quoted says that bolt on's supposedly have less sustain than neck thrus, but that this is not supported by research. ie, it says exactly the same thing as the neck thru article, that people think neck-thrus have better sustain, but this is not supported by any research.

seriously, learn to read before you try and wade into debates.

notice my wording i did elude to neither party have a reasonable argument

have a nice day
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by .Will.
What i said has absolutely nothing to do with the neck joint.

The neck granted, but not the neck joint.

er yes, it does. the only way all these things can be on the same piece of wood is by having a thru neck. with anything other than a thru neck, they aren't on the same piece of wood, obviously. therefore, the fact that they are on the same piece of wood has everything to the neck joint. it is the kind of neck joint (or rather, the lack of it) that causes that situation to be so.
Quote by Øttər
lol no kidding... Dude they just do... they just do. It's like a fat chick and Lance Armstrong on a bike, you don't need to be a genius to figure out that Lance wins

yea but the fat chick isnt missing a testicle

I actually owned a neck thru Korina Jackson KV1 with the kahler bridge and LSR tuners... I returned it because I hated the way it sounded. I played a bolt on poplar body japanese king v and I liked the way it sounded better... I have played set necks, bolt ons and neck thrus but to be honest you could debate this until you're blue in the face... it's a matter of preference. I prefer bolt ons for their ease of repair/adjustment but I like neck thrus for accessability (despite not playing blazing top fret leads or anything). As far as set necks go, I have an ibanez SZ with a set neck but the heel is contoured like a neck thru... it's amazingly comfortable and great to play... and that's all that matters... how do YOU like it? Who cares about sustain? do you honestly think someone in the audience says "hey... that guitar sustains wonderfully... too bad it's a bolt on and they dont sustain!"?? People just want to hear the music man... the MUSIC. that's all that matters... if your music sucks, nobody cares about your sustain
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Neck Through WOULD win, Sustain, Tone, Feel (OH the feel! ) however the fact that it's near enough impossible to replace without a large job puts me off.

I'm happy enough with Bolt on
I'm a bolt on man. I own at least one of each but I do love the bolt on. It has enough sustain for me, it is easily repairable/ switchable, with the right cut it is easily accessible, and it's cost effective. My neck-thru Dean is great, sure, but I have to be real careful with it, and the neck is a little thicker than I prefer. Give me an RG with a bolt on Wizard 2 that I can go all willy nilly with any day!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
Um.. Fail.

Bolt ons just rock! So much better then set because if your set neck breaks your stuffed same as neck through

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Last edited by KISSguitarist at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
er yes, it does. the only way all these things can be on the same piece of wood is by having a thru neck. with anything other than a thru neck, they aren't on the same piece of wood, obviously. therefore, the fact that they are on the same piece of wood has everything to the neck joint. it is the kind of neck joint (or rather, the lack of it) that causes that situation to be so.

I call it a day, i'm not getting anywhere.
Derp.
Ya know everybody, you all could just pick up two ESP M-IIs (one with a bolt on neck, and one with a thru body neck) and try them out to compare They have fairly identical specs otherwise. The same would go for Jackson Soloists and Dinkys
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I tend to enjoy all necks. Although I do play many Bolt Ons so I guess thats my answer. I rarely play that high up so I'm in no worry about that area.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by Shinozoku
Ya know everybody, you all could just pick up two ESP M-IIs (one with a bolt on neck, and one with a thru body neck) and try them out to compare They have fairly identical specs otherwise. The same would go for Jackson Soloists and Dinkys

Or you could pick up two of the bolt-on model, and they'd feel, sustain and sound different anyway.
I didn't expect this to turn into a fight lol! I guess whenever a difference of opinions is involved, we children just can't get along. Oh well, I was just curious so I could plan my next build...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
you get most sustain from a bolt on, although barely audible. I think the highest quality instruments have set-necks. Hand-made ones anyways. They are extremely challenging to get 100% accurate with the bridge and routes and etc.
fight the power that be
don't say that lol. Cause now 50 people are gonna disagree with you... XD
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
are you talking to me? they did lab testing, i dont remember the dudes name. he concluded that the metal bolts helped transfer vibration. glue joints highly effect clean wood vibration, but then again, on an electric guitar, its not audible.
fight the power that be
yes but unless the guitars were all made out of the exact same piece of wood with the exact same characteristics (physically impossible, unless you have a machine that copies things on the molecular level) , the test would be inconclusive, there would be too many outside factors.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
the man who did it did hundreds of different situations with different wood, bridges, nuts, hardware, etc.

he concluded that you do in fact get more sustain out of a bolt on neck joint than any other, although the difference is so insignificant that you wont notice it unless you are looking at a graph.
fight the power that be
this discussion could go on forever with no resolution. they all have their good and bad.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Page 1 of 2