I am trying to teach myself some music theory. I decided to start with the key of G. Only because I have a harmonica that happens to be in the key of G. I have learned all the notes in the g major scale all the way up and down the neck. I have learned the chords that harmonize G major scale. Gmajor , A minor, B minor, C major, D major, E minor, Gb diminished. I've written separte little charts for each chord that outline the notes in each of those chords up and down the neck, I know g major scale contains all these notes. Now i am having a hard time doing anything with it. I can sit and strum the chords evenly in different orders but am just lacking any direction of practice or creativity with it. I am looking for some way to make all this usefull to me. Please help!!!
just get a rhythm going. "1-123" or something like that if u can visualise it. chords G,C and D will are easy starting points and then maybe you can throw in a Em or Bm for colour. play with them enough and your melodies should write themselvess
it would be F#dim

anyway.. try a I-V-IV-vi or vi-IV-I-V

just mess around with it.. if your having trouble with chord progressions theres some nice stuff in the sticky about it!

read This
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Ok so say i get a progression i like. JUst use the one u have for example. Now say i want to make a fill somewhere in there. Other than just taking the chord that would go in that spot and picking the individual notes that would be in that chord out singley. HOw would i approch a fill. Or say i wanted to just record the chord progession and play a lead over it. Would i just take the G major scale and start fooling around with individual notes in that scale?
Quote by brandonfenderbv
Ok so say i get a progression i like. JUst use the one u have for example. Now say i want to make a fill somewhere in there. Other than just taking the chord that would go in that spot and picking the individual notes that would be in that chord out singley. HOw would i approch a fill. Or say i wanted to just record the chord progession and play a lead over it. Would i just take the G major scale and start fooling around with individual notes in that scale?

depends what sort of sounding fill you want. an idea would be to take the chords you already have but try embellishing them. so for example, if youves got a D in there, try playing around with a Eb in it, or F. theyre just examples, i'm not sure what type of piece your trying to make, but b9 and 11th are generally colourful intervals
there's plenty of songs written in G.

You can go 12 bar blues in G.....or 16..or whatever.
it's bascailly just the 1 ,4 5 moment. (all major chords)

Then maybe give it the 7th sound
G7, C7,D7

This way you can do simple strumming and play your harmonica at the sametime.
bar it or open chord patterns..whatever is comfortable for you at the moment.

or do it in minors
The ralative minor ( the 6th chord/ Eminor ) becomes as the root.
6, 2,3 movment.

Practice different strumming patterns.
Practice the veriouse PMI picking patterns.
Last edited by Ordinary at Apr 21, 2008,
Use sweep picking

For major notes use this pattern:

e---------2-5--
B-------3------
G-----2--------
D---4----------
A-5------------
E---------------

For minor notes use this pattern:

e---------1-5--
B-------3------
G-----2--------
D---3----------
A-5------------
E---------------

And for diminished use this pattern:

e---------1-4--
B-------3------
G-----1--------
D---3----------
A-5------------
E---------------

Just put the root note on what ever note you want and you can sweep pick it up or down or arpegiate it or just play it however you want. That all I can help you with.
Last edited by AJones212 at Apr 21, 2008,