Just a thought... is poplar a strong enough wood to make a neck out of? The question came up and I was curious...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
Just a thought... is poplar a strong enough wood to make a neck out of? The question came up and I was curious...
IMO, not even close.
It's soft and would probably bend like a banana even with light gauge strings.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
yea i wasnt sure. just thought i'd toss it out there. I googled "poplar guitar neck" and found a maker that makes danelecto style guitars with poplar necks... I dont see much use for it anyway... it's an ugly wood and most of the time you get that nice green streak in it lol

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
poplar probably would not be the best wood for necks, its too soft imo. its easier just to get maple anyway. poplar isn't that ugly, checkout some of my latest builds, all of them have poplar backs, none of them are ugly at all.
Poplar is a bit too soft for a neck in my opinion. I built a small stringed instrument with a poplar neck and it has warped considerably under very light string pressure. Maple is a better option and should be very easy to get. Poplar, however, is not ugly if you get the right pieces.
oh dont get me wrong guys i like poplar. it's a great working wood and it's relatively cheap for building samples and making little jigs and such. i'd definitely use it for a body wood but the conversation came up about using it for a neck so i thought i'd start a thread about it. I like the grain pattern (or lack of) with poplar but I hate the pieces with the green streaks in them. my pickup winder wheel is made of poplar