I realised today that I've switched largely to fingerpicking; my flatpicking skills - weak to begin with - have practically disappeared. I suppose I'm asking for advice: could I get by as an electric guitarist using only my fingers? Will other people jam with me? Or should I just go acoustic?
in my opinion i think u should stay with electric and every now and then do an acoustic song.
if you play well, any one will jam with you... Play what you want to play anyway, don't worry about other people... The guitar is about you... again, if you play jamming stuff, noone will care how you play it
Quote by Porteus
I realised today that I've switched largely to fingerpicking; my flatpicking skills - weak to begin with - have practically disappeared. I suppose I'm asking for advice: could I get by as an electric guitarist using only my fingers? Will other people jam with me? Or should I just go acoustic?

I'm pretty sure Marc Knoplfer did it.
If Mark Knopfler can do it, then you can do it, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ-JyAGUsys

My advise would be to grow long nails on your picking hand for better sound/articulation and keep in mind that it's technically very different, leading to a very different sound as well. This doesn't meen you won't be able to make fantastic music, it'll just be a tad different from what everybody else does.
Just think about the many blues or flamenco guitarists who play fingerstyle.
Don't forget Robby Kreiger.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
Don't forget Robby Krieger.

Fixed.

Just makes it a bit different to play, but it shouldn't limit your playing in any way really.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Depends what kind of music you play. Jazz, Blues, softer classic rock, jam bands you should have no problem going pick-less. I would suggest getting a book on flamenco or fingerstyle jazz, for a while I went without a pick entirely and so I picked up a few books and it really improved my playing overall.

This may not be your music at all, but getting some technique like this could really help you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZEVFiBpVY

Get good at alternate picking between your fingers and you'll literally have no limits.
Thanks everyone; it's nice to be reassured.

Depends what kind of music you play. Jazz, Blues, softer classic rock, jam bands you should have no problem going pick-less. I would suggest getting a book on flamenco or fingerstyle jazz, for a while I went without a pick entirely and so I picked up a few books and it really improved my playing overall.

This may not be your music at all, but getting some technique like this could really help you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZEVFiBpVY

Yeah; that's the kind of stuff (nice vid, thanks!) I adore. D'you have any particular recommendations for books?
Quote by Porteus
Thanks everyone; it's nice to be reassured.

Yeah; that's the kind of stuff (nice vid, thanks!) I adore. D'you have any particular recommendations for books?

Lenny Breau - Fingerstyle Jazz is the best suggestion I can offer. It has exercises for everything - chords, playing chords and melodies at the same time, having your thumb and fingers moving in different time patterns, and fingerstyle harmonics.
i started off on acoustic and switched to electric about 2 years ago and have never used a pick. i mean i have, but prefer not to. i personally like the way it sounds and is more natural imo and i love the direct contact with the strings. so my suggestion is go for it.

i also like to be able to grab the string from under side and pull up when i alternate pick and solo and i was never able to figure out how to hold a pick between my fingers and switch back and forth.

i think it is fair to say that i need to work on using a pick tho
;