Hi...I hope this is the appropriate forum for this, but basically...

I'm looking to buy a keyboard, around the £250-£350 range, but my knowledge on what I need to perform what I'm after is kind of limited, which brings me to here in search of any advice or help.

Ideally I'd like to just have it hook up and have me be able to record into Cubase SX 3, with minimal hassle. I'm looking for it to function as a straight up piano in a sense so I can play some normal things and maybe practice/learn a few piano pieces, but also have it act as a synth with built in sounds if possible, just so I can add atmospheres to songs in Cubase. Up until this point I've just been using Fruity Loops, but I want to play actual keys and what not...

So yeah, any help anyone can offer is much appreciated
Thanks
Well a good cheap MIDI keyboard may be what you need if you are using Cubase as you can just plug one into your USB port and control any Soft Synths to record. However I could recommend you a good Synth or Keyboard depending on what stuff you are likely to be playing.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
I've been thinking about this myself as well. quick question. Is it possible to run a non MIDI keyboard into a computer through some new fangled computer wizadry?
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by leeb rocks
I've been thinking about this myself as well. quick question. Is it possible to run a non MIDI keyboard into a computer through some new fangled computer wizadry?

Yeah, they are calling it a.... 'microphone'.

Also some keyboards come with usb slots. I personally bought a midi to usb converter and it was a pile of wank, I don't even bother trying to get it to work now. Waste of £20

And TS, korg are awesome. Buy a korg.
Yes its perfectly possible as long as your keyboard has a MIDI port ( there are usually two on the back of most keyboards post 1980). You just need to get some MIDI cables and a MIDI interface for your PC. Join the cables to the interface and you will be able to sue your normal keyboard as a MIDI controller.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

No need to be mean.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by musicmanstinger
Well a good cheap MIDI keyboard may be what you need if you are using Cubase as you can just plug one into your USB port and control any Soft Synths to record. However I could recommend you a good Synth or Keyboard depending on what stuff you are likely to be playing.

Well...my only issue with a cheap MIDI keyboard would be finding/utilising high quality effects/sounds...whereas a mid-range keyboard/synth with presets and piano sounds may be more realistic and higher quality?

My myspace page should give a rough idea to what I'm playing:
http://www.myspace.com/andymitchelluk

Pretty much that range of music, and the keyboard to function as piano and synth effects.

Haha!
Mooger Fooger. if you have the money.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Go with a microkorg!!!
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Vox Continental. If you can find one and have the money.

The Doors used it
██████████████████████████████
I'm not 100% on synths but I've heard that the best to get would be anything by Roland.

But I don't know for sure myself.
Micro korg...but that's the most common synth ever.

So Midi controller+ computer
I don't even shred