Hi everyone, im looking to build my first guitar this summer, im just trying to understand the size of this project as well as getting as much info as i can. im thinking of building a strat first from bought parts,
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar:_Bodies/Strat_Bodies.html

thats my planned body i just wondered if it will be ok being a universal fit having all that extra space around with acoustics and all just wondered if it will sound ok, also im going to get the neck from the same place.

painting shouldn't be a problem my dad used to spray cars with the same stuff so i can get a nice job done there. also wondered what pickups to go for, hum bucker's or singles and what tremolo, i dont have loads to spend but i want to get a good sound, ill be playing a range of music as im still learning but plan to put it through a lot of effects as i like messing around with the different sounds.

I think thats about it unless anyone needs any more info, also im in the UK if that effects prices or product availability. thanks for anyone who takes the time to reply.

InfernoUk
shouldn't be any problem having the universal fit, if anything it'll allow you to go back and change pickups without having to re-rout anything.

just the standard three single coils in a strat can be fairly versatile, but you could think about putting in a coil-splittable humbucker in the bridge for that extra bit of umph that you dont get from singles (coil split so you can still get the single coil bridge tone if you want it). not sure about the tremelo, you'll have to wait for someone with more knowledge than i to help you with that.
This kind of swimming pool cavity makes you guitar sound a bit more hollow. Some squiers have the same kind of body. Not that it's bad or anything, just less wood so it won't sound exactly like the typical fender strat.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
ok thanks, my main worry was the open cavity for pickups but its thats all fine then cool, i was looking at Wilkinson tremolos just now and they seem they will do the job, is it best to go with Seymour Duncan pickups or AMG? or is there a different brand thats better for strats, im going to sleep now its later here in the UK so ill check back tomorrow, thanks for the reply and to anyone else who takes the time.

InfernoUk
Quote by HeliuM
This kind of swimming pool cavity makes you guitar sound a bit more hollow. Some squiers have the same kind of body. Not that it's bad or anything, just less wood so it won't sound exactly like the typical fender strat.

guess i can make sum sort of attempt to fill it in but ill see how it goes, still a while away from being made as i currently have no money but itll give me more time to decide how i want to do it.
hi, im back now. i just wondered how you all go about your painting as in preferred paint types as lacker based paints take up to a year to completely finish, do you use other base paints? also it there a good UK place for these sort of paints such as a custom car store.

Thanks
Well I'm using a water based lacquer from an aerosol can... I can't be damned to wait a year for it, I'll let it cure for a few weeks but then I'm playing it lol.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Actually, it's rather vague about how much time to wait in between coats, how long lacquer takes to set etc...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i was thinking about getting a custom air brushed design from sims(an English guitar customizer) and was just wondering if there are any full size or large images of a strat or very similar body i can use in photo shop to try different things out on. anyone have any ideas? im going to look right now
thanks ill check it out, does anyone have any like template blue prints of a large size i can photo shop so i have more control over it than just a wizard, thanks for wnay replys again

InfernoUk