I have heard a lot of complaints about the MG. Like, you can't get a good tone and things like that. I have an MG hooked up to Boss effects board and can get a great tone out of it. i can get any kind of sound out of it.(death, metal, classic, anything)
Death metal, classic metal, metal metal?

Anyway, "good" is subjective, and you might like the tone you get out of it. However, digital effects> SS amp is usually sucky in most people's opinions.

But if you like it, I suppose.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
a GT8/10 into a MG 50/100 combo, where the cleans are only bad and not disgusting might work, but only just
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
False post is false.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
a GT8/10 into a MG 50/100 combo, where the cleans are only bad and not disgusting might work, but only just

But the cleans on a 5150 are nasty anyway and you *****d those, so your opinion is void.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Quote by roythereaper
your opinion is void.

Most ignorant thing I've heard all day.
5150 Cleans aren't quite as bad as they're percieved to be.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by roythereaper
But the cleans on a 5150 are nasty anyway and you *****d those, so your opinion is void.

5150 cleans werent to my liking one teeny bit

i *****d the gain like a mother****er
Quote by Yngwi3

Most ignorant thing I've heard all day.
5150 Cleans aren't quite as bad as they're percieved to be.

We're mates, I'm just winding him up
Call me Callum

Sounds good - at what volume? As in gig levels, or bedroom whispers?

Compared to what? You honestly think it sounds as good as a good, full size, all-tube amp? Or is it just a passable tone, and you accept it because that's all you have right now?
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
that MG has aidz.... sometimes it benefits an amp, sometimes it doesn't :P
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.
noobs who dont understand the pre and post gain on a 5150 think the cleans are terrible. they are not bad.
Quote by Ar8eit3r
noobs who dont understand the pre and post gain on a 5150 think the cleans are terrible. they are not bad.

For the second time, I was winding Stevo up.

Enough with the noob comments!
Call me Callum

Quote by Ar8eit3r

to be fair, we tried it with a cheap crap guitar at really low volumes in a shop

they honestly werent too hot

it was the EHV one if thats any different

yes, i know little about metal amps
The cleans on 5150's are bearable, but you don't buy it for the cleans. For a metal song interlude, the cleans are fine, if you're playing clean stuff, you wouldn't buy a 5150 simple as.

Plus, I don't believe you got a good tone out of that, coz I had a boss me-50 and an mg and it sucked.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Lets see you started playing guitar in feb of 2008 at least according to your previous posts. So ooh thats all of 3 months I guess that would make you an authority on tone then.
Anything sounds good with a GT8 shoved in front of it...

And tackleberry, thats worse than the 5150 comment. Not everyone joins when they first learn. Thats also 2 months. DEE DEE DEE
Quote by *SpitFire*
I have heard a lot of complaints about the MG. Like, you can't get a good tone and things like that. I have an MG hooked up to Boss effects board and can get a great tone out of it. i can get any kind of sound out of it.(death, metal, classic, anything)
That's wonderful!

... let us know if you feel the same way, AFTER you replace the battery in your hearing aid.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwWYO6NbQeg

Yep. Sounds sick to me.

Someone kill it already.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by roythereaper
However, digital effects> SS amp is usually sucky in most people's opinions.

I think that's modelling amps, more then SS amps.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Referring to the 5150 comments.... you DO NOT buy that amp for the cleans.... so it doesnt matter really. Its like saying.... i bought a Ferrari, its fast but the Air Conditioner is not cold enough.

I wouldn't have that MG problem cause i simply don't like Marshall. It's all about taste. People (or UGers) criticize a lot Crate, but i ****ing love that amp, its the best thing it happened to me as a guitarist. Beautiful to practice with and nice for casual/just-for-fun gigs and i love its cleans. It has 3 channels that easily EQ-able. Its confortable, i love it.
MGs are fine enough for practice and gigging (if you can't get anything else)... but never EVER EVER use them to record.

They sound like burning muddy dicks in hell. And no, it's not mud.

No matter what I did with the gain/EQ it sounded like a wall of AIDS. I really can't wait for my Valveking.

My friend's Crate GTD65 (where I live is plagued with solid state syndrome) isn't that great either but it sounds at least 100x better (though that isn't saying much).

However if you personally like how MGs sound... good for you. The best way to hear the tone of your amp, though, is to record something with it through the output - not through a microphone or something.

I thought my MG was fine until my band tried to record something...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by *SpitFire*

how long have you been playing and have you played any high end gear?

I only noticed how bad these amps sounded after hearing good amps and guitars but only after developing an ear for good tone over a year or so. you cant expect to be able to hear what's good when you just start out and have been using crap gear for years...

Youtube video link, you hear more of the strings being strummed than you do the amp because its not turned up loud enough, also hes recording with the mic in his crap camera which also degrades the sound. But I still think it sounds like crud.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 22, 2008,
Well, i guess i you put DFX board with amp sims in the amp it woulds sound better.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by CJRocker
Anything sounds good with a GT8 shoved in front of it...

And tackleberry, thats worse than the 5150 comment. Not everyone joins when they first learn. Thats also 2 months. DEE DEE DEE

*DeeDee Doo, you think he's been playing a while then? Dee DAA DEEE

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
No if you go look at his past posts his post of march this year stated he had started playing a month ago. So a month before march 2008 is february 2008 and its all of april now. I believe he was asking in his threads what easy songs he could learn as he is a beginner. But hes progressed much as now hes a master of the 7 string in a death metal band. And the tone of the MG is crushing. Sort of like when you crush a bee hive with a back hoe.
Quote by Tackleberry
Sort of like when you crush a bee hive with a back hoe.

Or smack a cat with the back of a shovel.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance