Has anyone here sold a guitar or two to their local music shops, and if so how much did they give or offer you? Im thinking of trying it but im not sure. and I cant be hassled with eBay.
The shops normally have a catalog for trading. They will check your gig's condition and evaluated with their little "database." In good condition it's normal for them to pay around 60%-70% original price.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Lets say you upgraded pickups, tuners, etc would they offer you more? if so how much of a percentage more?
Probably not much. The store could care about upgrades; they just want a newer guitar so they can resell it. Depends on how much you upgrade it. Expect around 5%-10%. If they guitar is aimed at beginners, then probably nothing at all.

In other words, if you upgrade a JEM (I can't think how) then you'll get more out of it than upgrading an Epi Special. What are you selling?

craigslist.com
will get you the most money for items. The guys at my music shop tell me that everytime I bring something in, they're like: "dude, why are you bringing it here? You can sell it for at least double on craigslist". I'm like "okay". They're right man.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Im selling a 1995 MIM fender telecaster as well as some other things but, its in pretty good pristine condition, with Vintage noiseless pups and Kluson deluxe tuners but I kind of need the money now since I want to buy this guitar on ebay and paypal isnt an option.
Pretty good IMO but find a trusty store or post it in your newspaper's classified. Most stores, even your mom n' pop ones are going to give you nickels for the dimes.