Page 1 of 2
Everybody seems to be worshipping the very ground Dimebag Darrell stepped on, but why?
What made him better than any of the other guitarists out there?

Im not insulting him, or questioning him- im just asking.
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
He wrote some of the bad assed riffs ever, but i can´t think of any more things, just the whammy.

What the hell, they should better be worshipping Randy Rhoads!
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
cuz hes GOD
GEAR:
Black Epiphone G-310 SG
White Ibanez RG120
Digitech RP250 Multi-Effects Pedal
Raven RG100H and RG412 Half Stack
I definitely wouldn't say I "worship the ground he walks on" but he is one of my main inspirations because of the feel of his playing and just the general attitude associated with his sound. And I just love the sound, too.

And listen to the solo in "Walk". If you have any more questions after hearing that I can't help you...
Quote by Unofficial
You're right, **** being 15, you guys are all jerks.

Why would you try and state a "defense?" There's no defense for being a plain old ass.

My Roflcopter pwns your Roflcopter

Firm supporter in having a first ever drum forum
cause hes quite simply and absloute beast !!!.

His guitar tone, his playing, his personality he was simply one of the cooolest guys ever.
Not to mention hes inspired a countless number of guitarists across the years.

So to round it all up hes a ****ing beast

R.I.P Baby

dude ?? have you ever had a casual coversation while having sex??

male:
" so erm .. wot do you think of bbc1 ?"
female:
" AAHHHH SH*T !!!! SH*T !!!!! "

Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.

HAHAHA ^^^ :P

People (including myself) think that he wrote awesome riffs, kickass solos, and pioneered the groove-metal sound (arguably).

Ironically, I think it was his on-stage murder that really catapulted him into god status.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
heads up your going to be slammed ridaculed and chewed out for posting this always ongoing arguement...

my way of saying to you nicely that this has been posted hundreds of times man

but ill give you what i think anyway i think he was a great guitar player in a metal influencing band which made him that much greater he had a great career wrote some incredible solos and riffs and became even more famous after his death

my opinion is hes "worshipped" because he made it big thats hard to do he didnt just make it big but was one of the best of his time and people are always just star struck

ill leave it up to somebody else to slam him and say why he isnt good at all cause somebody always has this opinion but usually it goes great guitar player, popular band, even more popular guy as he loved his fans, tragic death, thus equalling him being loved and having lots of fans

hope i helped you out man but as i said heads up your about to be slammed for posting this..
Whatever people want to claim, his current godlike status is simply because of his tragic death on stage
He was a great guitarist, who did invent a certain sound (face it, he did), he was original and just had "it".
HOWEVER
He's been over worshipped to the point where 90% of the people who are like "DIMEBAG IS GOD! BEST GUITARIST EVER ZOMG!" are only saying that because he's dead.
He died, that's why.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Dimebag's riffs are pretty bad ass. He's not like technically talented like Necrophagist's guitarists but hell hes got some great riffs. And the dime squealies sound cool as hell.

But really it's just the great sound and feel of those riffs.
And the fact that he died performing on stage tragically like that.

But he died like a true performer.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by statixguitar53
cuz hes GOD

+1

Yeah, theres your answer.
Dean Z-X Fund: $50 out of $200 (25%)

My Gear:
Guitar: Schecter C-1 Elite
Amp: B-52 ST-6012
Pedals/Other: BOSS Dynamic Wah, BOSS Metal Zone MT-2

Massive Failure
He was a fantastic guitarist, but the actual reason that he is worshipped so much is because of how he died.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
alright, you guys all have excellent points- except for the guys who said "cuz hes GOD!" That wasnt helpful at all.

+1 to everyone who said its cause hes dead. I think you're right.
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
He's worshiped because he took some of the simplest notes and turned them into some of the heaviest riffs ever made. Simplicity + Innovative = Legend
Dean Z-X Fund: $50 out of $200 (25%)

My Gear:
Guitar: Schecter C-1 Elite
Amp: B-52 ST-6012
Pedals/Other: BOSS Dynamic Wah, BOSS Metal Zone MT-2

Massive Failure
I'll bring in an opposing idea, since most people here think Dime is great. I honestly never liked him much, his riffs were pretty bone-crushing (for mainstream metal) but his solos were kinda. Meh. Also, people mostly like 'im because of the death.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I don't know everyones reasons for loving Dime but the Riffs he created just pumps you up. They get into you and fill your ears with such techical grace, no doubt alot of his riffs were easy but its the standard he set himself. The way he died was another reason people love him so much, Its like JFK or Lincoln well not in the way they were Presidents. But In the way they presented themselves with an air of confedence yet maintained the abillity to remember who got them there. Dime was a person who gave back to the fans. I've heard interveiws where people talk about how at autograph sessions Kids would walk up and say "I wish someday I could play like you" and Dime would go in the back and grab the kid a guitar and give it to him. Really what made him great was his spirit of a wild and caring person off the stage. Just the willingness to reach out to the fans who made him a Legend.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Quote by Unherolike
I've heard interveiws where people talk about how at autograph sessions Kids would walk up and say "I wish someday I could play like you" and Dime would go in the back and grab the kid a guitar and give it to him.

He did? WOW.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

An Abstract Illusion
Quote by technicolour
Cause he got shot and died.

Valfar > Dimebag

Freezing to death in a blizzard > Getting shot on stage

I want him back.

An Abstract Illusion
Quote by ..NEM..
Freezing to death in a blizzard > Getting shot on stage

I want him back.

As do I, as do I

*hug*
Quote by technicolour
Cause he got shot and died.

Valfar > Dimebag

Damn right. He's a legend of a man.

Anyway, this should be in the Pantera thread. If I keep reporting things, people are going to think I'm a prick.

...I'll wait for someone else to do it first.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by UGHm.o.w.
He kept Metal alive during one of the most unmetal periods in history: the 90's

I think this is an excellent point. I loved Pantera's overall attitude about themselves and the music world.

Even though the whole "he's dead" idea is kinda true, Dime really does deserve a lot of the respect he gets. He really just was a good fucking player and an awesome guy who influeneced tons of guitarists, what's not to like?

Hell, if someone had posted the same thing about Chuck Schuldiner I bet like nobody (myself included) would use the "he's dead" arguement.
IMO it's only because he's dead.

He influenced nothing but the groove metal genre, which basically inspired nu metal. It was a stripped down version of thrash. He was doing nothing that hadn't already been done by other guitarists. His playing was basically pentatonic shapes, and his tone was god awful. (He used solid state?!)

He was a good guitarist, but he's far from god-like. Also: Pantera didn't keep metal alive during the 90's. There were tons of amazing metal releases during that period. Hell, Nile were born.

It's unfair to compare him to Chuck. Chuck is a true pioneer, who really did inspire a whole generation of guitarists, and a massive genre of music.
Last edited by AAAAAAAAAARGH at Apr 21, 2008,
dime isnt the best guitarist. this doesnt explain his level of worship, but he isnt the best. he is my hero, and he is my favorite, but honestly, not the best. the best is in the genre of symphonic progressive power metal, like eric johnson, or satriani. dime however, had 1 thing they dont have, and it isnt the ability to play sloppy sweep arpegios or play a solo based on bright synth sounds and pedal effects, not that the afformentioned guitarists use these, they are great, but they get old to me after a while, a 20 minute solo and no riff to mosh to isnt my bag. the 1 thing dime had was heart and soul. he played because he loved to, not because he wanted to show off (like steve vai). dime is remembered and worshipped because he had a gift, and that gift was to be able to shred with an unrivaled sound, and most of that sound came from his heart. listen to anything he has ever played, something about his solos are special. listen to "floods" for example, he wrote the outro when he was 16, and built from that. this song also has my favorite solo he has ever written. or "hollow". listen to that, over and over again. it is as if he knew that anselmo was gonna hit the road and that he knew that he was going to die on stage. he wrote and played "hollow" with so much feeling that it is like he knew he would die. that is why he is worshipped, and why he is a god on 6 strings. it takes 2 guitarists to play what he can play on one guitar. and when i talk about him playing with his heart, im not talking some emo bull****, i mean that he loved what did, and put his heart and soul into his music, unlike some of the other no talent ass clowns out there today. dime is my hero, and if you ever listened to pantera, damage plan, or rebel meets rebel, then you would know why. R.I.P. DIME \m/(o.0 )\m/
He was a great guitarist and he had a look and feel to his work and an image that pioneered Pantera as being one of the memorable yet still very well circulated and accepted bands of the 90s. He was a huge image associated with pinch harmonics (because he used them all the time) which became pretty big to use after Pantera's circulation and especially after his death. His death is what makes everyone really love him especially as people imagine what legendary music he could have made if he had not died. The fact that someone actually murdered him makes him more of a legend, because he seems to be the victim of misunderstanding, and becomes a martyr in metalheads' eyes everywhere.

EDIT: also i'm pretty sure he was technically skilled to the point where he won a statewide guitar competition when he was like 12.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Last edited by bootyguard at Apr 21, 2008,
He's awesome
but dead people are just immortalized more

before hendrix was gone he was an "pretty cool gutiarist...a little dirty lookin..." and now hes all over the place as an icon

Dime deserves respect though, but the only guitarist not with us that should be worshipped like that is probably Randy Rhoads
My You'll be the Baddest Dude in Revere!

My Gear:
-Fender Mexican Stratocaster
-Silvertone Paul Stanley Signature Acoustic
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
Quote by The_Seventh_Sin
He's awesome
but dead people are just immortalized more

before hendrix was gone he was an "pretty cool gutiarist...a little dirty lookin..." and now hes all over the place as an icon

Dime deserves respect though, but the only guitarist not with us that should be worshipped like that is probably Randy Rhoads

Chuck Schuldiner > Dimebag
James Malone > Dimebag

FYI.
Quote by Dust_and_Guilt
Chuck Schuldiner > Dimebag
James Malone > Dimebag

FYI.

My agreement levels have reached maximum.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
TS delete your first post and kill this disgrace of a thread.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
What about Chuck Shuldiner? He died, and hes SO much better then Dime was.

Well maybe not so, but he is in my book.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
I don't think it's only because he died. I have a bunch of old Guitar World copies and Dime was worshipped pretty good in those. He achieved God status when he died though, it happens to a lot of musicians.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Quote by Criterion™
dime isnt the best guitarist. this doesnt explain his level of worship, but he isnt the best. he is my hero, and he is my favorite, but honestly, not the best. the best is in the genre of symphonic progressive power metal, like eric johnson, or satriani. dime however, had 1 thing they dont have, and it isnt the ability to play sloppy sweep arpegios or play a solo based on bright synth sounds and pedal effects, not that the afformentioned guitarists use these, they are great, but they get old to me after a while, a 20 minute solo and no riff to mosh to isnt my bag. the 1 thing dime had was heart and soul. he played because he loved to, not because he wanted to show off (like steve vai). dime is remembered and worshipped because he had a gift, and that gift was to be able to shred with an unrivaled sound, and most of that sound came from his heart. listen to anything he has ever played, something about his solos are special. listen to "floods" for example, he wrote the outro when he was 16, and built from that. this song also has my favorite solo he has ever written. or "hollow". listen to that, over and over again. it is as if he knew that anselmo was gonna hit the road and that he knew that he was going to die on stage. he wrote and played "hollow" with so much feeling that it is like he knew he would die. that is why he is worshipped, and why he is a god on 6 strings. it takes 2 guitarists to play what he can play on one guitar. and when i talk about him playing with his heart, im not talking some emo bull****, i mean that he loved what did, and put his heart and soul into his music, unlike some of the other no talent ass clowns out there today. dime is my hero, and if you ever listened to pantera, damage plan, or rebel meets rebel, then you would know why. R.I.P. DIME \m/(o.0 )\m/

My god...
Why do you even keep breathing?
actually i recently came to a conclusion about dime. hes one of the best guitarists ever. like probably better than most of the guitarists people think of when you say good guitarist. yo uknow like clapton or whoever yo uthink is good.(i personally dont like clapton too much) but anyway dime has(had :/ RIP) the ability to play with some of the most soul in his solos ive ever heard. example: cemetary gates, floods etc. he also plays very technically to show his finger skills and agressive side example: domination etc. just stuff like that when done properly as dime has done makes an exelent guitarist. now dont get me wrong i dont like pantera all that much. but dime as a guitarist i respect ALOT more than anyone like clapton orwhoever you think of.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Magero
My god...
Why do you even keep breathing?

because your silly opinion doesnt stop him from it